• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pictures of pencil-volt-mod locations for 9700 PCB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albuquerque

Yup! If you have a Rev3 9700PCB on your 9700 or 9500 card, here are pictures of the resistors that control ALL FOUR of the voltmod aspects: VDD, VDDQ, VGPU and VREF!

pcb_loc.JPG

The general locations of the four resistors, notice that the ALU plate near the VGA connector has been removed...

area1.JPG

Here is the area in the upper left corner greatly magnified. VREF and VDD resistors outlined in yellow and pink respectively. These were basically already known about...

area2.JPG

Here is the area in the upper right corner (under the ALU plate) greatly magnified. VGPU and VDDQ resistors are outlined in green and blue respectively. These are the two that I never was able to find online.

If you are just curious, here is a link to a 1200dpi (8240 x 5160 pixel, 32BPP, 4.4mb JPEG) picture of the entire PCB in uber-detail. The image file itself is small, but watch as it soaks up 300+mb of virtual memory when you click on it ;)

Now this is NOT a guide on how to voltmod, I'm posting this only for the folks who understand how pencil-modding works and just never knew where those last two elusive little resistors were. If you don't know what these do, DON'T TRY IT!

Those are some very clean/clear shot's of those mod location's.

First time I have ever seen the pencil version of the VDD, VDDQ for that pcb. Won't be doing any more pencil mod's myself, but nice!

Maxi

Figured out that if I removed all the little screws and retainers that I could use my scanner to grab it. The scanner has much better resolution than any camera I could have used... And was much easier to "grab" as it just sits there rather than hoping for me to have a steady hand ;)

Back to the subject: I had no problem finding the resistors for VREF and VDD online, but I never found the needed resistors for VDDQ and VGPU online even after several days of searching. I finally gave up, downloaded the PDF files on the voltage regulators and went at the board with an ohmmeter.

It was no wonder nobody (at least nobody I'd seen) had posted the VDDQ and VGPU resistors, as they're quite far from where you might expect to look -- especially the VGPU one.

nice:) might swap those surface-mount resistors out for perma-vmod;)

great work.We need somebody to post the guide here, then id vote sticky for this one.

Actually did think of that; while I'm not capable of doing such a thing, someone who DOES know what they're doing certainly could. And it would be virtually undetectable by just looking at it...

I would venture to say no, the PCB's on the 9800 I thought were different. In fact, I'd venture to say that none of this is right when compared to a 9800 PCB.

If I had a 9800 card laying around, I'd be more than happy to take my ohmmeter to it and make another scan like this one.

EEK! I changed the 3rd picture where the VGPU resistor was located; I wrote down the wrong one! If someone DID pencil the wrong one that I indicated earlier, your voltage would have kept going down and you would have pulled your hair out ;)

I have circled the right one now, and this time if you pencil that one, your voltage will go UP like you would expect. My apologies...

Albuquerque said:
EEK! I changed the 3rd picture where the VGPU resistor was located; I wrote down the wrong one! If someone DID pencil the wrong one that I indicated earlier, your voltage would have kept going down and you would have pulled your hair out ;)

I have circled the right one now, and this time if you pencil that one, your voltage will go UP like you would expect. My apologies...

At least if someone did it then they would not have killed there card inadvertently.

I vote sticky as well, but if they do it then I think you need a HUGE disclaimer in there somewhere ;)

Btw, this most likely works on the 9500 using the same pcb baord......rev3

login211 said:
so looking at the 3rd pic, the green rectangle part is what would need to be penciled in?

If you have to ask, it's likely you should do more research before attempting anything. This is nothing meant as a personal attack, it's meant for your card's safety and your wallet's well-being. Just do some quick reading on other volt-mods, find out what all those VDDQ, VDD, VREF and VGPU acronyms mean and how the relate to eachother, and also do some reading on how pencil mods work.

i don't plan on doing it, it was just a question...

i'm a volt mod virgin, if i ever try one someone experienced would have to be right there with me watching/instructing....

Back