• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I made a Blowhole without drilling metal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldBullet

Registered
I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that, like me, don't want to drill a hole in their metal case or simply don't have the tools to do it properly.

I had one of those HD/Case fans in one of my 5.25" bays pulling cold air into my case. It's basically a plastic bay cover with slots cut into it and three small fans attached. It was ok, pulling a little air into the case and was definitely better than nothing.

I wasn't quite getting the intake that I wanted and of course considered drilling a hole into my side panel to blow air directly onto the CPU, but unfortunately I live in a city apartment and just don't have the kind of tools and workspace I need to pull off such a task. Then I noticed that if I pulled the 5.25" bay fan I'd have three free 5.25" bay slots. I remembered that I had a ton of plastic 5.25" bay covers laying around, looked at the 92mm fans I bought, and had an idea. Basically I wanted to stick three 5.25" bay covers together, cut a hole in the middle of them, and mount a 92mm fan on them to create an removable blowhole in the front of my case pulling a large amount of air into my case with low noise.

The only real tool I had was a soldering iron, no dremel or drills, so I took what I had and went to work. First I took three of the 5.25" bay covers, layed them down on a flat surface, and simply used the soldering iron to melt them together at the edges. This worked great and was very sturdy. If you're going to do this be sure to frequently clean the soldering iron with a damp sponge and try not to lean directly over the burning plastic. Good airflow in the room is a must as well.

Next I needed the hole in the middle, so I took the grill off the fan and used it as a guide to simply melt the hole in the plastic. This only took about 5 minutes and was much easier than I figured it would be. I cleaned the edges a little with a screwdriver, scraping away the melted plastic, and burned four holes for the mounting. To mount the fan I used all I did was take the plastic mounting screwed that held the grill on the fan. The grill is on the outside of the 3X 5.25" Bay Cover creation, the fan is on the inside, and the mounting screws keep it all together.

Plugged the fan into the PSU and kicked it on. Let me tell you, the airflow from this thing was at least 10X as much as I was getting from the other bay cooler and was MUCH quieter, I can't really hear this fan over my PSU and CPU fans. I then put the bay cover creation into the case and ran some load tests to see the change in temps from my old crappy one slot cooler. (Temps obtained using SpeedFan)

Before CPU@Load: 43-45C
Before Case@Load: 35-37C

After CPU@Load: 35-36C
After Case@Load: 29-31C

It's also worth noting that idle case temps are just a few degrees above ambient. Not a bad drop in temps for a 40 cent mod that took me in total about 15 minutes! What's really great about this is it's removable, and can be dropped into any new case I get that has at least 3 5.25" bays free.

This should work just the same with a 120mm fan, and I think that you could pull off the same thing with two bay covers and an 80mm fan.

For reference, my system:

MSI KT2-Combo-L Mobo
AMD AthlonXP 2400+
NVidia GeForce4 4200 with Thermaltake Geforce4 cooler
Soundblaster Live
TV WonderVE (this thing gets hotter than you might think)
3Com NIC
Trident PCI graphics card for 3rd monitor

Fans:
Thermaltake Volcano 9 with Smart Fan 2 run around 2500 RPM
80mm intake fan located at bottom of case
Slot Fan placed in PCI slot 2 under video card with PCI slot 1 free
80mm fan in PSU pumping hot air out
Now 92mm Bay Cover fan

All in all I'm quite pleased with how this idea turned out, it looks impressive, runs quieter than before, reduced temps quite a bit, and cost me next to nothing.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, but this mod is pretty easy to visualize. Just look at this and picture it on the front of your case with a fan behind it.

directron_1747_69133162

I thought about making it an exaust, but ruled it out due to the fact that it's so far in the front of the case I didn't think it would get much of the hot air. As it is now it's blowing cold air directly to the PSU/CPU area, and that air gets moved out of the back of the PSU.

i did the same thing to my case but put an led fan in to add some color to my "awesome" beige contraption. it blows across the ram and cpu...i may swap it out later for another SF2 to really push the air through.

1055922968_P1010003b.jpg

That's pretty much what mine looks like as well, except the hole I made is circular and the plastic is in between the fan and the grill. Looks a little better that way but that's my opinion. The LED looks great, I'll have to do the same soon.

Is that an 80mm fan? I used a 92mm and it took up most of three covers, as I said I assume a 120mm will take up almost the whole thing but still fit.

yeah, i did it on a whim (could've been neater)...had a higher cfm black fan but the led adds to the mod...i was gonna throw the 90mm fan i had on but decided on the 80...if i can find a 120mm led fan, i might see how that'll fit and run a combo drive...this mod definitely helps, tho...

^^^ lol

When I drillled my blowhole I almost burned my Dad's drill out by trying too hard. There was a burning smell and lots of smoke coming out of it. Luckily it didn't die or anything. I was using one of those like 80mm cylinder circle cutter things. All it did was scratch a small groove into the metal, it was quite weak really. In the end I got a normal drill bit and drilled lots of small holes all around the inside of the circle I had drawn out then I slowly cut all the metal away.

LOL, I know, but it's functional at least. I also have one of those 80mm hole saws and the trick is to not use alot of pressure. If your rpms start to fall, then you'll burn up your drill. Light pressure is all you should apply.

"TV WonderVE (this thing gets hotter than you might think)"
I have the plain TV Wonder in my P3, and it gets pretty hot.

HA, HA, HA
I was seriously gonna do this same thing about a year ago, but never did, instead I just drilled out the stock finger gaurds in the case, which worked very well. I may do this mod to one of my extra systems, I like the use of the led fan 👍
-L_P

Back