• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stress your CPU to the MAX!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The WeatherMan

What is StressCPU?
This is a small windows program to torture-test your CPU in order to make sure that you don't have overheating problems. It will only run on SSE-equipped x86 CPUs, and it is executing a special version of the Gromacs innerloops that mixes SSE and normal assembly instructions to heat your CPU as much as possible.

The program was written by Erik Lindahl and I simply compiled it and am making it available to use.
This program actually makes my CPU's run from 4C-6C hotter than simply running Gromacs.
It's a good heat test and it should make any system draw maximum power which will also test the stability of your powersupply.

Let me know if you have any issues.
You can get the program in the EM-DC download area.

Enjoy,
Larry
http://www.em-dc.com

Thanks, and you are right about raising temps... My temps went up 4-5C over the usual folding temp.

nikhsub1 said:
Hmmm, my temps only went up 1C, if that... Must be my kick arse H20 system :D :attn:
Yeah, that's good to know, but I'm still impressed with 1C as that's showing that it's pretty stout in its number crunching methods. ;)

i'll try this to see how my rig holds up. will report back.

edit:

tried this for 15 minutes, temp went from 50c to 50.5 c so no too big of an increase for me, but good though.

btw, it's on an SLK800 tornado at max.

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there, just ran this today. I changed my palomino out for a tbred A, and overclocked it some straight off, so I thought I'd better test it before letting it loose on the gromacs work unit I had half done. So I ran this stress test for an hour, not real long I know, but the temp stopped climbing after about 5 mins, and figured it was okay to run gromacs on. So after the temp had dropped back down to normal idle temp I ran F@H and it didn't finish 1 frame before I got the dreaded "instability detected" message and it trashed the unit :(

So I dropped the overclock and F@H is running fine it seems now, just really dissappointed that this program isn't it would seem a good way to test ones gromacs stability.

Road Warrior

Note:Even after testing this program for an extended period of time, it is no guarantee that you won't get a Gromacs work unit issue. It's a good test to make sure that your system is temperature and voltage stable so you have the best chance of not having an issue with the FAH Gromacs core. But there are unstable Gromacs work units sent out by Stanford, approximately 6% at the moment.

Back