• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I have a Dell 8100, and i was wondering if i could take out the 1.3 cpu and put in a 1.7 GHZ one? How can i find out if the motherboard can support it? I have the pin number right, but is there anything else i need to check?

I'm assuming that this is an Intel Pentium 4 processor that we are referring to here.

The answer is: 'Sorta'

The 1.3ghz intel chip in there at the moment uses socket 423. All modern pentium 4s have now moved to socket 478, and consequently have more pins, are smaller, and don't fit the old sockets.

Hence, if you can get hold of a socket 423 pentium 4 chip for cheap, then go for it!

is there anything compatability wise i need to check besides pin numbers?....

Nope. I'm pretty sure the motherboard can support much more than what you're upgrading to (BIOS needs to recognize the CPU, but that shouldn't be a problem). Just make sure you have a socket 423 P4 and you're all set.

do the p4's 423-478 have an adapter kinda like

the p3's to the tuatualianans(sp? lol)

Back