• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use your WLAN Router as an AP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naddie

Why?

It's a sad truth, but WLAN Routers cost about the same as dedicated APs (Wireless Access Points), and sometimes less!

Why would we want both working? If you have a situation like me, where the DSL modem and most of the WIRED computers are in one room (as most of you will probably have if you have planned ahead), but this computer room of your's is at the end of your house (not in the center), then your WLAN router (if it replaces your wired router) would not give a great deal of coverage in your house.

What You Need before hand
I have a Netgear router with a D-Link WLAN Router, but it's pretty much the same for any other equipment of the same type (brand name not withstanding).

Most likely, you already have a wired-based router up and running. If you are using static IPs, you already have an easier time. But most of us have DHCP enabled on our home routers.

If not, it's easy to set up. Just set it up as normal (according to the instructions). Most likey, you will have DHCP enabled, and whatever PCs you wire to this router, it's up and ready to surf the net. Good!

The Wireless Touch
You want your WLAN router in the middle of the house somewhere, right? Somewhere when placed, your wireless laptop should be able to check email, surf the net, or even transfer files to your desktop. IOW, you want the best coverage. If your WLAN router was at the back of the house (where my computer room is), then the frontroom will not have any signal, while the backyard or neighboors (where you rarely surf.... i hope) will get better signals.

You will still need to run ONE wired ethernet CAT-5e cable to the center point. For me it was easy because I have a wired computer in one of the rooms (which, thankfully, was in the center of the house). If you have the money, you can also use ethernet over power lines. This line is going to be used for the WLAN/AP/router.

Let's get Dirty with Settings (or I already know this sh*z... how do I get the WLAN router to behave?)

1) Connect the "backbone" (long wire going from back room to middle room) CAT-5 wire to the uplink port of your wired router. (A few routers have "autodetect X-over", so just pick one. If not, you need to cross over that cable!). Mind you, this is not the "WAN" port, but any of the "switches" port. Your WAN port should already be connected to your DSL/Cable modem.

2) Connect a PC (or laptop) WITH A WIRE to your WLAN Router's switches port. Get into the configuration page (usually 192.168.0.1 or .1.1) and configure it to your liking (WEP, channels, passwords, etc).

3) Now here are the important steps to make it work! Make your WLAN Router's IP address 192.168.0.254 (or something you know you'll never use - IOW, definately NOT the same IP address as your wired router).

4) Disable DHCP on your WLAN Router. After this setting takes, you must make sure your PC that you are using is set to a static IP to access the WLAN Router again. (I suggest 192.168.0.253).

5) If it has any port forwarding/DMZ settings, set it up so it will allow ALL ports/data/etc to reach 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your wired router's IP address is).

6) After the WLAN Router resets itself (and all settings took), and you made sure you can access the WLAN router on 192.168.0.254, connect the backbone CAT-5 to one of the switches port (nothing should be connected to the WAN port of the WLAN router).

7) Configure your PC/laptop (that's connected to the WLAN Router) back to DHCP (not static IP anymore).

8) Release/Renew your IP address. It should renew itself. If it does, GOOD NEWS! It can not only communicate with your wired router, but it can also use the DHCP services!

9) Turn off your PC/laptop. Disconnect the network cable from it. (And now here is the best steps - the last ones!)

10) Push in that WLAN (WiFi) PC Card in your laptop (or enable it on your PC if it's installed as a PCI card). You are now free from wires!

11) Turn your PC/laptop back on, and let it boot. You SHOULD be able to surf the net wirelessly now. You should also be able to transfer files from PC to PC.

So now you have another IP address to remember:

a) 192.168.0.1 = Wired Router
b) 192.168.0.254 = WLAN Router

Happy Surfing!

wlanrout-ap.gif

If that doesn't work, just copy/paste the link onto the brower's Address Bar.

http://www.ps-innovations.com/wlanrout-ap.gif

Back