• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moding a JAC313C in to a waterblock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zazuk

This is a skiv fin U1 hsf. Has anyone done this yet? Here is a link to it.
313c_03.jpg

Any Idea or suggestions?

If I remember c1020 is c102 (im pretty sure) and thats oxygen free copper, its virtually the same stuff.....

Hoot I believe has used a similar skivved heatsink to make a water block (as have I) after trimming a lot of the fins off, setting up an intake jet and severely reducing the thickness of the base they perform very well (think of a skivved fin white water)

mine went from this;

micro_block.jpg

to this;

HS_block_inside.jpg

and finally to this;

skinz_block.jpg

Good work guys, I would have thought that you would want to use more the shiv fin area then that, so all you need it a little bit of it? They all look about 20mm X 20mm, don't you want to use more then that? maybe 30x30 or so?

well that is the area right above the CPU... i guess the idea would be to dissapate as much heat right there as you can and tehn move the water away as fast as you can...

Zazuk said:
Good work guys, I would have thought that you would want to use more the shiv fin area then that, so all you need it a little bit of it? They all look about 20mm X 20mm, don't you want to use more then that? maybe 30x30 or so?

The goal with performance oriented water cooling is to remove as much heat as possible within the smallest area possible, to avoid the heat resistance in the copper.

If a certain design still had heat to remove outside the 20mm x 20mm area, then it isn't a good design (performance wise)

think of the white water, it has a pretty small fin area, yet performs so well that (in theory) the heat from the cpu doesn't even get to the ends of the fins, let alone to the rest of the block as a whole.

Volenti said:

think of the white water, it has a pretty small fin area, yet performs so well that (in theory) the heat from the cpu doesn't even get to the ends of the fins, let alone to the rest of the block as a whole.

gotta love that enginuity :D

Zazuk said:

the 2 blocks i made one is for p4 as has a 30x30 fin area to cover the intel heat spreader.

the 2nd one with pipe inlet is for amd and if remeber the fin area is w30 x h20

Back