• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to pick a rheo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overload

this is very basic but i have seen many articles on this and not one of them got it right. so i did one my self. let me know what you think and if you think it might be beneficial.

Last edited:
your article said:
In almost every other article that attempts to address this has made the mistake of treating fans like LED’s and assuming that the fans current draw remains constant. This is absolutely not the case.

my article said:
Remember resistance is fairly constant no matter what the voltage is. Resistance actually depends on load on the motor, and therefore RPMs. Foru our purposes, we will consider it constant.

An LED's current draw is not constant either. You are confusing resistance and current draw, but I have addressed both in my article anyway.

your article said:
You may think that if you get a rheostat that has a much higher wattage rating than your fan requires it will run cooler. This is absolutely not true. Power dissipation, which is measured in watts, is transformed into heat. If your rheostat is dissipating 1 watt than it is producing the same amount of heat weather or not it can handle 10 or 1000 watts.

wrong again. The heat dissipated will remain the same, but there will be a greater surface area to dissipate it over, resulting in a lower temperature.

go back to the drawing board on those subjects, and then make any other corrections others have for you, THEN think about submitting on OCers.com

no need for misinformation

Whatever you say. i removed the guide so everyone can be confused correctly since you have more posts. i have done this many time and never had problems. i did not want to start a war over what guide is more right or better. I could tear yours apart too, but it is a sticky so it must be good enough for most people.

do not take offense

if you can't take constructive comments, maybe you shouldn't be writing articles.

It was goodo ther than those two points, which is why I said you should still think about submittig to OCers.com

I wrote an article for OCers once, went through 150 posts of people commenting

Back