• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1333 FSB Mod, Confirmed To Be Working By Me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

Update:

Pic Changed, to show more clearly the mod and how its done, showing the CPU as if it were upside down and facing you.
not the CPU socket.

Original Thread Below.

got bored tonight and was looking around at VR forums and came across a old pic Shamino posted awhile back and thought... why not give it a shot...

so I took one of my spare conroes, and got my conductive ink pen, did the mod, let it dry, took my PC apart and popped this in... and it almost worked.

it booted at 1333, then I rebooted, and it went back to 1066... and was jumping back and forth.
so I took the CPU out, and saw, I didnt have a nice clean connection between the two BSEL pads... so I traced over it again, and let it dry, blah blah blah...

10 minutes later... it works.
now, it's working just fine.

boots up everytime at 7 x 333.

no big deal really since I know this CPU can do over 590, but its still fun to have a higher default FSB for the hell of it.

I wanted to see if this works, so I could try it on my quad core CPU...
hoping theres a slim chance in hell, that if it boots at 1333, the chipset strap will be looser, and give me some extra OC room.
thats a 1-100 shot... but if I never do it, how can I say it wont work??

atleast this one worked.

what would be kinda interesting, is if you took a E4300, and did this mod to it, assuming you knew the CPU could do 3 ghz, it would boot up at 9 x 333 for 3 ghz.
that would be pretty cool for those cheap boards that been coming out at Frys and such, with the CPU.

anyways, next try is to make my Quad Core do the same thing...
not really holding my breath on it, but its worth a shot.

heres the boot up speed I got from CPUZ after the mod.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=165085

total down time, about 20-30 minutes, to take it apart, do the mod, let it dry and put it back together.

last note...
before doing this kinda mod, make sure you have a bios on your board that will allow a 1333 FSB CPU to be used in that board.

Attachments

• 1333fsbid4.jpg
    1333fsbid4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 62,570
Last edited:
heres some better proof that it works.

you can't fool the "Auto" setting.
set it to auto in bios, it should go back to default 1066...

but as you can see here... it doesn't. :attn:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 48,140
Quad Core Mod Confirmed to be Working. :D

other thing I forgot to say...
before doing this kinda mod, make sure your CPU can boot up at its default multiplier x 333 at stock voltage.
if it can't it wont boot, cause its just OC'd too far.

luckily, this Quad here will do 3.4 ghz at stock voltage, so no worries for me.

boots up at 8 x 333 for 2.66 ghz at 1.25 volts.
thats pretty damn cool.

Attachments

• cpu-2666.JPG
    cpu-2666.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 48,017
well, the 333 mod helps alittle for me.

for the last few days, 350 was the tops easy bootable speed into windows, meaning the speed that would work every single time, with no failures.

now, its doing 366.
not a huge improvement, but a small improvement is better then none. :thup:

Attachments

• yeah.JPG
    yeah.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 49,840
Hmm I am thinking about his mod but I dont know what side to put the conductive pen on on

the original pic in the first post show the pins right above the gold triangle
and in the pics of kunaac's version there on the oposite side in the same spot.

And also would some copper wire be enoufgh when sodderd to my chip to make the jump between the 2 bsel Pads

Thanks so much kunaac Great mod
+1 for sticky

well, I updated to first post, to give people a better idea of how the mod is done. there seems to be alittle confusion about the pic, and the actual mod.

For anyone curious...

I undid the mod today, to test more...

and now, 366 FSB isnt possible for me anymore.
back to the old top of 350.

366 just will not remain stable anymore, without the mod...

Kunaak said:
Quad Core Mod Confirmed to be Working. :D

other thing I forgot to say...
before doing this kinda mod, make sure your CPU can boot up at its default multiplier x 333 at stock voltage.
if it can't it wont boot, cause its just OC'd too far.

A VID padmod should solve this issue if it ever arrises..

Exelent work Kunaak

And for the glue just PM a green it already has bb's aproval ;)

Very nice work.
Why you would be able to OC farther with a higher stock FSB, however...
Could it be the fact the percentage increase of FSB is smaller, and therefore "easier" for the motherboard to handle? That doesn't seem to make much sense, since you still have to set it to 350/366/whatever in the BIOS.

motherboards have a chipset latency.
same way ram has a latency.
most boards will use a 1066 latency, till about 400-450 FSB.
few boards give you any choice in the chipset strap, as thats just a feature thats left at auto.
forcing a 1333 FSB, so the board kicks in a higher chipset latency, at a lower FSB, might in some cases help someone OC farther.

Good info Kunnak! I wish I had tried this before I sold off my stuff. The relaxed strap would have definitely helped on the 975X. :)

Im gonna sticky this on it's own for now, since it is so new and relevant. Later it will be added the the condensed sticky.

Back