• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"This has become the most read article in our history"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the KID who did this should be hung up and castrated

I am no apple fan, but to waste his parents money this way is absurd. Plus to replace such an expensive and high end machine with a MICRO ATX AMD ATHLON piece of crap is just mind boggling

absurd waste of time and money and for what??? a pretty case???

It was an entertaining article, I got a chuckle when I read his friend's reaction. Most read article ever? I just can't see it. I thought for sure that SSS's article on the Thermalgreases had gotten /.ed.

@nipster: Most people I'd say like PC or Mac, but not really both. You saw a nice expensive high end Mac, he saw something he didn't want. He modified it to be what he wanted and he used the parts he had. We all do what we can.

As for his parents, they gave him a nice present but they really didn't know what they were buying. It's wasteful in that sense, but it's his to do with what he feels like...

nipster said:

I am no apple fan, but to waste his parents money this way is absurd. Plus to replace such an expensive and high end machine with a MICRO ATX AMD ATHLON piece of crap is just mind boggling

Don't hold back dude. Let it all out and tells us how your really feel.

I tottally agree that this was a waste. But I think you are being a little harsh. If I had received a powerMac G5 as a present I wouldn't have kept it either. But I wouldn't have mutilated it.

I am older and wiser and have the ability to tell my parents that they screwed up without hurting thier feelings.

I am just curious as to why this is the most ever read artical of all time. Unless it is all the Apple fanboys comeing to gawk in horror as people sometimes do at a traffic acident.

nipster said:

you damn right!!! and by the way wut did the kid do with the mac parts? did he sale them??? i don't use mac because i think that they are overpriced but let all of us pc user be honest, if we have a g5 for x-mas, hell yeah we gon use it!!!!
-video/audio editting dat's wut's really good with the mac software!!!:mad: :mad:

Axis said:
I don't like mac but what a waste.

agreed, utter waste. i mean he replaced it with crap, plus it looks like crap. he shouldve sold the parts kept the case, then ordered some kick *** A64 setup with a 9800 pro and a gig of ram, and put that in the case and take his time doing it. I mean he butchered the thing, thats why I was in shock. I dont like Macs but this is ridiculous

I'm no fan of macs either, but what he did was just retarded. It makes me want to find where he lives and give him a good throttling.

This is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I dont know how anyone in the right mind, or even stoned, drunk, and anything else you can think of could do such a thing.

In my conversation with Ploaf, this is what he had to say:
<Ploaf> "you buy a kid a corvette for his 16th birthday and he throws out the engine because it makes too much noise and replaces it with an electric lawnmower engine"

It just sickens me.

Jon

I think it is pretty stupid.

1) He starts off saying he wanted a Dell so much more.
2) He says he has no OSX software and can't be bothered to get any.
3) He mutilates the machine, gives away $3k in parts.
4) He puts LESSER hardware inside of it.
5) The stuff he says he uses it for could have been done just fine with software Apple will give you.

I was just waiting for something like "roofle Apple sucks omg lolz!" at the end.

I just gotta ask wtf? I don't like apples but hell, tell your parents they got you the wrong machine, don't butcher it and throw away 3k in parts just to hide it from them.

Someone ought to call his parents and tell them what a moron they have for a son.. :D

I have nothing nice to say about this article. I'm having trouble believing that the article is even true. If it is true then he showed absolute disrespect for his parents and the work that they had done to earn the money to buy that system and the time they invested shopping for it. It's not a matter of whether or not you like macs. You don't just strip a $3000 high end workstation that your parents worked hard to give you only to replace the components with junk like a cheap all in one biostar board. You sell it. If I knew that this was for real and I knew his parents I would tell them exactly what he did. My attitude would be a bit different if he had earned the money himself to waste on such an endeavor but doing this with a recent and well thought out Christmas gift is disgraceful.

Edit- and if he's reading this by any chance then go get your parts from your buddy now and put that thing back together or at least sell them somehow and get that money. You don't need to give your friends $2500 in parts just so you can run windows. Those parts have value and you could probably sell that mac on ebay for more than you'd pay for it new in the store

OMG I read this last night, and just read it again, and it has finally sunk in. I'm talking to my brother on IM sending him quotes from the aritcle and freakin' out!

First off, let me just say, in the pic of the board, I don't see an AthlonXP 2200. I see a ceramic substrate which says Tbird or Duron. And I also see an Antec Jetcool HSF, which probably couldn't cool an XP.

So, if anything, I just hope that means the article is fake, the guy tossed in the PC hardware, took some pics, and then wrote/edited the article on his nice new G5 after reinstalling the G5's hardware.

What in the world can possess someone to do this?

Why in the hell would you toss out 3,000 dollars worth of hardware and replace it with $150 worth of low-end Athlon parts!?! Toss out a brand new G5 so you can use 2 year old hardware...and Biostar no less!

OMG...I'm losing my mind!!

I'm 23 next week, so I think for the first time in my life I'm gonna say "Damn kids..."

Can we locate his parents? I swear they should know...regardless of what he did to the G5 it's pretty unethical to rip your parents off like that. That's a lot of money they just threw down the drain...

Sad...very sad.

I dunno...maybe I'd have an easier time with this if he had bought the system himself, decided to gut it, and gave away the hardware out of some sort of wonderful charity of heart....

...but no, he ripped off his parents and negated the $2500-$3000 they spent on him, oh, insulting them in the process.

Wow...what can I say? I just hope it's a hoax! If so, then kudos for one clever hoax, if not, then what a ****ty thing to do.

It makes me cry. I haven't read the article. I figured "hey, I've seen enough Mac case -> PC Case conversions in my day, this will be no different."

I didn't realize the kid butchered the case from a $3000 system his parents bought him, and gave away the innards to a friend. I didn't realize he then took the case and put absolute crap in it, just so he could have a pretty case that'll run Windows. Hell, if he wanted a pretty case, he could've just, y'know BOUGHT the friggin' case off of eBay or something, or modded a different case.

I feel bad for his parents. They obviously spent a lot of time and money to get him this system (even if it is a Mac, it's still a good system), and now he's gone and trashed it.

So kid, if you manage to read this thread, please do yourself a favour: Go and get the guts to your system back, and stick it all back together as best you can. If you didn't want the system, you could've told your parents that you didn't want a Mac. I'm sure they would've taken it back and gotten you the much cheeper Dell, and saved you and themselves a whole lot of trouble.

Edit:

I thought about selling it, but my parents would be upset with me. After all, this was a very expensive gift and it meant a lot to them to give to me.

Then why did you gut it and give it away? If it meant so much for them to give it to you, why just up and give it away? I'm sure they would be hurt even more if they knew what you did to their expensive gift to you.

I still feel bad for this kid's parents. If they knew what he had done, I think they'd be more hurt and upset than angry with him.

Last edited:
Breadfan said:
Wow...what can I say? I just hope it's a hoax! If so, then kudos for one clever hoax, if not, then what a ****ty thing to do.

I think that this may be a hoax because it's hard to imagine that anyone can be that stupid and still figure out how to piece that junk together into a workable system. Speaking of the pictures....... I was lucky to get the front page to load at all let alone extras like the pictures. ;)

OK. I think this is one of two situations…

1) His parents make lots of money or are just rich. He is very spoiled and gets everything he asks for… and has no real clue what the value of a dollar is. I know some people like this and money means nothing to them (born with a silver spoon in there mouth. It sickens me.).

2) Hoax. Got his hands on a case for a G5 and did his thing with the PC parts.. Has a friend with a real G5, gets that, takes the side off snaps a before pic and makes the story up. (Because it sounds better then look what I did with a G5 case.)

:cry:
So help me god… if it's all true I have just lost my faith in humanity!
:cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back