• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer.[Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Retired Sticky

This is for all of the "Does such and such work in SMP?" questions that seemed to get answered time and time again.

Short and simple, here are the answers:

AMD MP processors were designed specifically to work in dual processing systems. They work perfectly and are supported by AMD directly.

AMD XP processors were designed specifically to work in single CPU systems, however as of now they work just fine in multiprocessing boards. The key factor in this seems to lie in the L5 bridge which must be closed in order to function in MP boards. This goes for both chips. Most XP chips, to my knowledge, maufactured prior to a couple of months ago, already had an L5 bridge that was not cut. The bridge seems to be cut more often in recently produced chips, evidently. The fix for this is as simple as unlocking the XP itself, except you only have one bridge to connect.

*UPDATE* (by cmcquistion) Newer Thoroughbred Athlon XP's are also SMP capable, provided that you close the L5 bridge, just like the Palomino's. Low speed T-breds (XP2000 and below) are factory unlocked, so you can change the multiplier up to 12.5 (the MSI K7D Master is the only duallie with multiplier control.) The XP1700 and XP2100 T-bred are the overclocking favorites, at the moment (Mar, 2003) and can have their bridges modified for hard-coding higher multipliers. (XP1700 T-breds are reaching 1800-2000 MHz. XP2100 T-breds are reaching 1900-2100 MHz)
Initial reports indicate that Bartons are compatible with the MPX chipset and are also SMP capable. (It has now been verified that Bartons will run on the Iwill MPX2 and the MSI K7D Master.) Please note that Bartons are manufacted to run at 166 FSB, so you will probably want to modify the multiplier on them, if you run them on a dual system with FSB below 166. The bridge codes for Bartons are identical to T-breds and those manufactured with a stock multiplier below 12.5 should be unlocked, though only on motherboards that allow multiplier change, such as the MSI K7D Master.

For information on modding the multiplier of AMD CPU's, check the thread here. I prefer the 5V PSU method, over the 9V battery method. It has worked better for me.

XPs, despite their success in the newer MPX boards, have more problems running in the older MP boards, specifically the Tyan lines. This is not the case in all Tyan MP boards, but there have been more reported problems with them than the MPX by far.

XPs are not supported by AMD in MP configurations at all.

AMD Durons are hit and miss. The misses come with the Spitfire Durons which are not supported by AMD in any sense and, as far as I know, do not work in MPX boards whatsoever. They have been known to work, on many occassions, in original MP boards (by Tyan), however. Spitfire Durons run 1GHz and below with the 1GHz Spitfires coming very rare.

Morgan Durons start at 1GHz and currently go to 1.3GHz. They work fine in all the MPX boards and don't seem to have any problems in the Tyan MP boards either. The Morgan-cored Duron was initially designed for MP use to begin with but support was ended. The design did stick and so did the process, allowing it to continue working in multiprocessor boards.

AMD does not support any Duron in MP use.

AMD Thunderbird processor are about the same as the Spitfire Durons. There was some success of them working in the Tyan MP board but as of now I have not seen a single success story of them working in an MPX board (As stated below, there have been a few successes with TBirds and the MPX, but very few...I still don't recommend it). Even though they appear to work in most cases in the Tyan MP, instability was a common occurrence and it's best to stay away from them in dual configurations. (This was a later addition as I guess there are still of you out there that wondered about the TBirds.)

AMD Thunderbirds are not supported in dual configurations by AMD.

That's basically it for AMD processors in dual configurations. Please keep in mind that just because unsupported chips are known to work with no problems in the MP and MPX boards that problems won't be there for you when using an unsupported chip. Many have found it impossible to run unsupported chips in their respective boards and could only gain use of them by switching to an AMD MP chip. Instability seems to be the most common issue but I personally think this deals more with other components that may be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative post Jon, thank you for the time you took to put it together.

In addition, here are a couple of resources that may be informative. Read this article that details which bridge needs altered and the steps necessary to make the conversion and this article to dispel any naysayers.

A note from my own experience. As stated in the article, unlike the L1 bridges, it is not necessary to use super glue or the like to insulate the substrate when closing the L5 bridge on the XPs (the DURONs have no pits), just use you method of choice, conductive ink, rear window defogger fluid etc.

Jon has more experience with SMP than I do so heed his advisories as to reports as to instability and compatibility problems.

**UPDATE**

as of 09-09-03

With this post being some 15mos old, there has been some updated information sent to me by cmcquistion that will apply to the later T-breds (thanks Chris);

>>>>>*NOTE* On newer T-breds (0319 and later, I think) AMD has started putting a THICK layer of plastic over ALL of the bridges. The bridges look VERY different than any previous design. To do the L5 mod on these new chips, all you need to do is fill the PIT between the applicable bridges, with conductive paint. This will join the bridges. There is no need to scrape the bridges, or anything.

Newer Bartons seem to have this new design as well. I'm not sure what week it started, but I just recieved an 0330 Barton XP2500 that has the new chip design, making it difficult to mod.

Thanks,

cmcquistion<<

Last edited:
Update

It appears that someone over at 2CPU.com (bpoint-he's also currently working on a multiplier adjustment BIOS mod for us Asus owners, with help from a few others) has gotten two 950MHz Durons to work in SMP on an Asus A7M266-D. This is the first I've heard of Spitfire cored Durons working on an MPX board so I guess this sheds a little ray of hope on those wanting to take those old Durons and use them in a new dually board.

His Asus is the "bug-fixed" r1.04 which has working USB and VCore adjustments for both CPU sockets.

Still can't say that this will work for everyone and, with the price of Morgans, I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy Spitfires for an MPX rig...unless you already had them, of course.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone else had a similar experience with the MPX chipset.

I have an ASUS A7M266-D (the first version, with usb still dead). It uses the MPX chipset and is currently running (2) 1400 thunderbirds without issues. The Tyan board had lots of problems, but that's because it sucks. The 2460 is worthless, it lacks the 12v rail and has to be offset with a massive power supply.

I know of 2 other systems using the asus board with thunderbirds as well.

-Namgorf

Almost makes me want to buy a second 1600+ and a dually board. But i am going to wait for the Clawhammer and i will decide from there:cool:

namgorf said:
I have an ASUS A7M266-D (the first version, with usb still dead). It uses the MPX chipset and is currently running (2) 1400 thunderbirds without issues. The Tyan board had lots of problems, but that's because it sucks. The 2460 is worthless, it lacks the 12v rail and has to be offset with a massive power supply.

I know of 2 other systems using the asus board with thunderbirds as well.

-Namgorf

Using thunderbirds in a dual? hmm.. man wish I couldda had that work.. heh.. ah well. Got me a pair of 1.3 Durons with my Tyan board.

Have you seen the T-Birds work in other boards? or just the asus?

AMD Dualies (on the CHEAP..REAL CHEAP)

Last year a customer wanted a Suoer system for their daughter. She is involved with graphic design and uses a program that is dual cpu aware. AMD had just 1 month b4 come out with the long-awaited MP line. Tyan's 2460 was available and CHEAP. I was elated to build this system for the customer with AMD MP1.1 gig (fastest then)WXP PRO, and 1 gig of ddr reg 2100. They were and are happy. (Tyan's 2460 is still the cheapest AND is STABLE w/350 REAL watt power supply ) (I have built 12 systems on this board thus far) POWER SUPPLIES & DDR REG 2100 is the KEY here. DON'T CHEAT. DAMNED THING IS CHEAP ENOUGH. Cheat at your own risk. Play by the rules and this board is BULLETT (yeah .. like the movie) PROOF. WON'T disappoint! Is less than $165 w/shipping!! This yr for funsies I build for myself a system built on the same Mobo. w768 ddr reg 2100 AND 2 BOXED (reccommended) DURON 1.0 PALOMINO CPUS. Booted up w/512 mb of ddr reg 2100 ram. Post showed (2) 1.120 MP cpus ;). These cpus are what...$45 ea w/sh. I am going to upgrade to dual xp soon, but it turns me on to know that little amd has dialed into their chips this capability at a time when ugly intel's monolithic meandering has no response. I'm LUVIN it!

Dually Durons

So.... as it sounds to me.... Dually Durons are the best bet around... I bought a dual celeron 433 system of e-bay a while back and lovel it.

Me thinks the next move is for me to build my own dual duron system. Anyone out there with a working rig wana give me some recomendations... :)

hmm.. still undicided on if i should get dual xp 1.8 or 2.8.. i am thinking intel 2.8 (oc of course)

Dios67 said:
So.... as it sounds to me.... Dually Durons are the best bet around... I bought a dual celeron 433 system of e-bay a while back and lovel it.
Me thinks the next move is for me to build my own dual duron system. Anyone out there with a working rig wana give me some recomendations... :)
himura-dono said:
dios67,
you should talk to ifmu, he's running two 1.3's.
Well I had received a PM from him some time ago, replied and as to yet had a reply. Im hoping that posting here, he might catch it?!
I take it cost is not much of an issue then trend? If it is, look into the AMD side, its a lil expensive, but alot cheaper than the Intel counterpart.

addendum to the dual Morgan Duron comments:

My 1.3 Morgans came with the L5 bridge cut. a few minutes with a conductive pen got my a7m266-d to report them as "Duron MP".

These don't require the masking and "pit filling" that makes unlocking the multiplier such a hassle. Just connect the dots and you're working in SMP.

Regards,
relic

The low power 1.2 Athons I just bought are MP and multiplier unlocked and run great on my gigabyte in dual at 1.3ghz.

1.2 Athlon 4 for $49

They have run out a couple times but the have restocked each time. They are palamino core and run similar temps to my 1gig durons.

64026402 said:
The low power 1.2 Athons I just bought are MP and multiplier unlocked and run great on my gigabyte in dual at 1.3ghz.

1.2 Athlon 4 for $49

They have run out a couple times but the have restocked each time. They are palamino core and run similar temps to my 1gig durons.

Hmm. Sounds cool.

1) What speeds do they OC to?

2) Can you check the CACHE on them? I heard somewhere that the PALIMINO mobiles had cache disabled, while the Tbred mobiles had normal cache.

Thanks much!

none1 said:

Hmm. Sounds cool.

1) What speeds do they OC to?

2) Can you check the CACHE on them? I heard somewhere that the PALIMINO mobiles had cache disabled, while the Tbred mobiles had normal cache.

Thanks much!

I haven't tested to see how far they would clock. I got them to see if the temps would be lower. I just bumped to 1.31 and left it.

The chips have the normal cache and sse enabled. It has a 200 fsb though. If you have multi adjustment then it dosen't matter.
I figure they are underclocked reduced voltage 1600s or 1700s.

I have dual athlon XP 2000+ running nice and easy in a k7d Master motherboard made my MSI. Never had a problem yet that wasn't my fault. Stable as can be.

FRANK said:
Very informative post Jon, thank you for the time you took to put it together.

In addition, here are a couple of resources that may be informative. Read this article that details which bridge needs altered and the steps necessary to make the conversion and this article to dispel any naysayers.

A note from my own experience. As stated in the article, unlike the L1 bridges, it is not necessary to use super glue or the like to insulate the substrate when closing the L5 bridge on the XPs (the DURONs have no pits), just use you method of choice, conductive ink, rear window defogger fluid etc.

Jon has more experience with SMP than I do so heed his advisories as to reports as to instability and compatibility problems.

Good Luck!
Great links bro!

Back