• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 Ruby Demo Wrapper!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
So, wanna see your card try to run the latest ATi demo? Well, somebody over at Beyond3D was nice enough to write a wrapper to let everybody have fun with their 9800s and FX5900s :D Wrapper avaliable here under "r300rubyrap.zip" and "NV3xRuby.zip".

It's not quite right (shader on her face is too dark among other things) yet, but it kind of works. It's also 'really' slow for me. Mostly caused by oh so much ram paging... ow, this thing likes a LOT of memory (especially since I have to make it use the Managed pool for textures instead of the Default pool).

It does require a beefy system to run (512MB system min, 728MB reccomended; 128MB video min, 256MB reccomended), and you'll probably have to turn some settings down for it to run even semi-ok. Check out the readme in the package before you try running it.

Note that since the demo uses shaders longer than PS2.0 will let you, he had to re-write and remove several. It's not what you'll see in the real demo or videos, but it's still cool :)

EDIT: The obligitory demos this wrapper works on.

JigPu

took you long enough ;) i found this when i read your other post on how to get it to work on r300 cards ;) thanks man :)

-ddr

it ran fairly smooth on my machine, it got a tad choppy from time to time prolly never dipped below 20fps and averaged 35ish.

//=====================================================
// ATI Sushi Error Log Created 5/9/2004 4:24 am
[AwFn.cpp] (line 803): D3DAw Error: AwInitWindow - Unable to create a D3D device
[Main.cpp] (line 720): AwInitWindow returned FALSE! Unable to create window! Quitting!

any clue? I tried running it on my ti4200, I even used the wrapper(is that placing the .dll file in the folder) I must still be doing something wrong :(

Overclocker550 said:
[AwFn.cpp] (line 803): D3DAw Error: AwInitWindow - Unable to create a D3D device
[Main.cpp] (line 720): AwInitWindow returned FALSE! Unable to create window! Quitting!

any clue? I tried running it on my ti4200, I even used the wrapper(is that placing the .dll file in the folder) I must still be doing something wrong :(

your doing nothing wrong...
you just don't meet the min hardware requirements.

you have an NV30 or R300 ???

mica

Overclocker550 said:
where does it say minimum requirements? I have a fx5200 I can try, maybe that demo needs a dx9 card?

Well, with my Ti500 I got further than u.

I also got this:

// ==================================================
===
// ==================================================
===

I just messed around in the ini, it looks this this:

//============================================================================
// Sushi.ini - Engine initialization
// $Header: //depot/3darg/Demos/R400/Rhino/Rel/Sushi.ini#10 $

restartOnScriptChange = F

demoName = "Ruby: The Double Cross"
logo2 = T

resolution = 640x480
multisampleType = 1
fullScreen = T
aspect = 4x3

vsync = T
numBackBuffers = 2
forceColorClear = F

music = T
soundfx = F

restartOnEndManualCamera = T

cycleAllModes = T
//productInfo = T
//launchMode = T
//avi = T
//aviFPS = 29.97

Now the demo boot up, quit and there was the error message saying that it needs a GPU that supports DirectX 9.0b Vertex Shaders V2.0 and Pixel Shaders v2.B. So I gues there is no way of runing it on a Ti500 or Ti4200. Or does anyone know how to force it to use Pixel Shaders 1.3 or something?

it cant. and ti4000 series uses 1.2 doesnt it?

gonna test this on my 9800xt :eek:

Overclocker550 said:
where does it say minimum requirements? I have a fx5200 I can try, maybe that demo needs a dx9 card?

I didn't read the readme in the "NV3xRuby.zip"....
but maybe the title says it all.

mica

Ran great on my 9800 Pro OC'd to 415/700. I ran it on everything from 800x600 to 1600x1200 though at 1600x1200 I did have to turn the AA and AF off to keep the frame rates up high enough to make it enjoyable to watch. The sweet spot seemed to be at 1024x768 with 2xAA and 8xAF set to quality.

Back