• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another reason to kill the fangrills.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jognt

All round good guy
Ive seen lots of threads saying that removing the fangrills isnt a real "have to" thing, because it would only increase CFM a bit, and reduce noise a bit...

I just want to tell you all that your fan's life-span will increase if you remove the grill, 2 of my fans have died since i have this PC (not even 6 months) one fan, i do not know, but the second one died because it kept sucking itself onto my case-wall, because the grills were still there, remove those grills and allow those fans to breath freely!

that 40 euros down the drain because companies dont want to make bigger holes...

lol, so true. My antec UV fans spin very freely and much more silently than if they had grills on them :) I can imagine the damage caused by it sucking into the case steel, that cant be healthy!

Guess I'm cutting out the grids from my Antec PlusView1000AMG case now.... I'll prolly remove the front grills too... gonna be a hard task to accomplish its tight over there, the back grids are gonna be easy though.

Thanks for the 2nd reason dude :)

this is actually the third reason ;)

1: Better airflow
2: Less noise
3: Your fans will atleast survive :(

the fan that died from sucking itself on the casewall was a 34cfm fan, that was running at only 5v, so now you know how little it takes to kill a fan if it hasnt got enough free space..

How do you guys sand those sharp edges down once you've cut the grills off? Do you just use sandpaper, or do you use a Dremel?

Will vouch that removing the grills made a noticable difference for my pc, especially if you are working toward silent computing. You could feel the difference in airflow, felt like double.

On my aluminum Chieftec case, I actually bent the freaking grills out, with a pair of wire cutters. You grab onto one of the spokes along the edges and can bend that spoke out. Took me forever and my hand was sore as heck from gripping it, but if you don't feel like blowing $20+ on a dremel that you probably will never use again, you can do it that way.

Another thing that will severely decrease your noise levels, if you are into silent cooling, is to construct/buy something that will direct the airflow of your exhaust fans downward into the carpet. Your PC's noise will drop to a third, I swear! Throw a towel over the back of your PC to get an idea of the sound difference.

dalilman52 said:
i use the orange cylindrical bit to grind down the jaggies, then i finish it off w/ sanding

Okay, thanks.

wicked-one said:
Another thing that will severely decrease your noise levels, if you are into silent cooling, is to construct/buy something that will direct the airflow of your exhaust fans downward into the carpet. Your PC's noise will drop to a third, I swear! Throw a towel over the back of your PC to get an idea of the sound difference.

Yeah, Lian-Li does that with their new cases, and they say that helps reduce the noise.

I'm thinking about going out right now and snagging a nibbler. Would that be enough to cut through the grills on an Antec PV1000AMG?

i am interested too. The fan on my window blows cold air all the time, where my 2 rear fans just sorta...spin and dont do much.

Im hoping to not come to dremel since i dont wanna remove EVERYTHING inside. Any SAFE ways to remove these grilles?

well if you dont mind the sharp pieces around the edge a strong pair of wire cutters would do it
just kinda connect the dots around the edge

~Magick_Man~

if your not going to remove the content of your case, id advise you to do SOMETHING to protect the inside :)

take a plastic bag, one that wont tear easily, and put it over the grill on the inside of your case, use tape to secure it, then if you cut from the outside, any particles will land in the bag :)

i cut them out with a dremel like thing, that we have in the house, and i removed thos edges by using a ....how are they called? vile/file? same thing as you use for your fingernails only then for metal :)

Jognt, So you finally got around to dooing it..Congrats..:clap: Are you using the wire finger guards on the rear fans?
I use green handle, right cut, tin snips to remove the fan grids and cut blow holes..Thanks for keeping the NO FAN GRIDS alive, Jognt...It needs to be brought up more often...Cheapest cooling mod you'll ever perform..:D

tin_snips_0006.gif

:rolleyes:
mobydickcase_mod2%20053scraps.jpg

please don't quote my pic's.:)

Radical said:
How do you guys sand those sharp edges down once you've cut the grills off? Do you just use sandpaper, or do you use a Dremel?
roundes files will do too. Sometime a flat file for larger mistakes.

archilochus said:
Jognt, So you finally got around to dooing it..Congrats..:clap: Are you using the wire finger guards on the rear fans?
I use green handle, right cut, tin snips to remove the fan grids and cut blow holes..Thanks for keeping the NO FAN GRIDS alive, Jognt...It needs to be brought up more often...Cheapest cooling mod you'll ever perform..:D

yup, after i told my father that the grills had effectively taken the life of fans :) he got convinced enough for me to take them out, yay :D

i think im going to place an anti-fangrill line in my sig :)

Some things to consider:

- dust filtering; make sure you can still attach a filter after the sawing.

- poking the exposed fan blades; don't do it. Instruct children and domestic animals accordingly. :)

Yeah, my meat grinders grids are bigger than those in the pic above..What type drop in temps did you get afterwards? Good idea on the sig thing..:)

the grids you had at the front, i had everywhere only then with only 1/3 of the holes :D from removing them i got a 2°C drop in case temps (now 24°C from 26°C) idle temps have gone down from 33°C to 32°C (not much --> stock HSF :)) i dont yet know about my load temps, since i havent had the time to stress it yet :) (family also wants to use the PC)

Anyway, let it be a warning to people, that those grills are also hazerdous to your fans :)

arch: i still envy your rig :cool:

Back