• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poly top or Al top waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kinda top do you have

• Poly

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Al

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Copper

Votes: 23 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Noxipoo wanted to know which kinda top you had. With that said
please reply with Poly or AL for the waterblock you bought. I hear poly tops crack easily, which scares me but AL can corrode so I don't know what to get. Please tell me which you got and why, also how its working out. thanks!

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the first to post. Myself I went with a Whitewater poly top block. Yes I've heard they can crack but most the time is it because of the user not the top.

Personally Id rank them...

Copper>Al>Poly

Copper is the best

Anodized Al with antifreeze should prevent corrosion...

Poly is cool that you can see inside the block but prone to cracking .

Mikeonatrike said:
Poly for sure, if its good like the lexan i have it shoulnt crack ever.

is lexan stronger then polycarbonate?
all i have is a thin piece of lexan so i can't judge.

Polycarbonate is lexan as far as i know. But like everything there are varying grades.

Id like to add why i like lexan, its cheaper then copper, doesnt corrode, is easier to work with, is clear and is way lighter. Only down side is it scratches very easy if u dont have the margaurd stuff. But u can clear it up really nice with some fairly fine grit sandpaper and a little heat.

thanks for making the poll, i didn't include copper since thats almost never a choice in waterblocks when you are buying from places that has a choice. eg. dtek and DD. I just don't if it worth the corrosion and extra price for AL top. do people clean them after a while, clean out the stuff that builds up?

I am confused as to what the poll is really asking....

Do you want to know what people have? (as the poll reads...)
or
Do you want to know which are better?

I wasnt sure.. thats why i voted for what I have but put an opinion on what I think is the best...

Klownin79 said:
Lexan is bulletproof is that helps with your answer.

whoa.. um.. yea
oh yea, the window at where i work are bullet proof, but they're 1" thick. how does polycarbonate compare to it?

Mikeonatrike said:
Polycarbonate is lexan as far as i know. But like everything there are varying grades.

Lexan is just a trademark name for polycarbonate by GE...

In order for Lexan to be bullet-proof theyd have to be pretty damn thick... Alot thicker than normal WB top's thickness so even though it is strong it is not indestructible so it is still prone to cracking.

Of course it's not something that can not be prevented however it still does occur.

I wonder if 1/2 lexan could stop a 22. And tomorow i will post a picture of a brass barb over torqued into some 1/4 lexan.

Ill print out my first post and eat it if it cracks ;)

ILikeMy240sx said:

Lexan is just a trademark name for polycarbonate by GE...

In order for Lexan to be bullet-proof theyd have to be pretty damn thick... Alot thicker than normal WB top's thickness so even though it is strong it is not indestructible so it is still prone to cracking.

Of course it's not something that can not be prevented however it still does occur.

Hate to say you wrong. The same thinkness as my WW top is bulletproof. Also id DB drag they use lexan for their windows because the tried what was known as bulletproof glass and it broke under the pressure.

I run a poly topped Gemini spiral now, but the next one's copper, mainly because I have a bar and there's gonna be some weight hanging from it.
The new block also has an O-ring, and I'm using copper tube for barbs (maximum ID). I tried a poly top but it bowed, and securing my barbs is problematic, so I'm not satisfied.
Poly is great, but has it's limits.

Coming from someone who is attualy making blocks I would choose anodised aluminium.

- Its Cheaper
- Its Stronger
- Its lightweight
- Its the easyest to machine
- It can be anodised in many differant colours

Copper comes in a close 2nd but IMO other than a slightly less chance of it corroding its relly has no advantage.

The issue of aluminium corroding is basicly sloved by anodising and the use of a sutible addtive to the water (which is still require with an all copper system).

Brass is interesting. Not used very often but IMO could be better than copper in most ways.

IMO Poly tops are a idiotic solution. I can understand if you want to see inside the block (which was the original reson for using poly) but if you dont care about that then it relly is a big risk to take.

Im sure there must be less brittle forms of plastic out there that would be suitble. Any ideas?

I have a poly top on my cascade. I think poly tops are fine if you are careful not to overtighten them.

Back