• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Can't share program files in WinXP pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

Everywhere I have read says that XP pro is supposed to allow the program files directory to be shared, but when I try to do so, it tells me that all options on the sharing tab have been disabled because the folder is used by the operating system.

Please help me get this sorted. I have to be able to share ALL the folders on this machine to get my back up strategy between my XP box and my win2k box working correctly.

This is winXP pro, SP1, all critical and some non-critical updates installed via windows update.

Thanks,
Kosmic

If only Win2k could support hyperthreading correctly in games...then I wouldn't have to hack XP to work the way it should.

Guess my search continues...

You can share subfolders within those folders, e.g. you can share
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express" and access that folder from another
computer on the network.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...d1lori8g1v7hhca2b09gp3qivpl3%404ax.com&rnum=1

"If you have Windows XP Professional, you can permanently disable
Simple File Sharing, which removes those sharing restrictions:

1. Open My Computer and click Tools > Folder Options > View.
2. Scroll to the end of the advanced settings.
3. Un-check "Use simple file sharing (recommended).

If you have Windows XP Home Edition, there's no easy solution. The
safest thing is to share individual subfolders, as mentioned above."
"

Last edited:
You are the MAN! I was obviously googling for the wrong phrases. Thanks for hooking me up with that solution. And it was so simple, too! I love it. Glad I'm on XP Pro and not Home. :)

Thanks!!
Kosmic

NP, FYI don't forget them quotes:

sharing "program files" windows xp

Back