• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noo! Someone beat my Radeon 7200 score!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Well two peeps actually... or it may be the same person w/ two diff names.

My old score (3rd): 5626. GPU @ 245/209
2nd place: 5889. GPU @ 290/183
1st place: 6118. GPU @ 290/200

Luckily they are just using bartons, so when I get my 2500+ mobile, that should help alot. Then I just need to think of a way to cool this baby a little better so I can get mad core clocks. W/ my 3rd place score, I popped off the stock HS, and epoxied a thermaltake tiger 4 chipset cooler on. Also had the room temp around 10C. Any suggestions? I would rather not try and rip the tiger4 off. Chances are it's not coming off alone.

Do you think you can increase the GPU voltage any higher with your current cooling? Obviously, you are going to have to increase your GPU speed in order to catch the guys in front of you. Any increase in CPU/FSB/Memory speed will definitely help, but I doubt it will be enough.

Agreed, I need some more core clockage. My mem timings aren't getting any better than they were (11-2-2-2). I can get 2-4 more mhz of FSB. And my mobile barton I'm getting should be able to do another at LEAST 200mhz stable enough for 3dmark, plus the extra cache will help quite abit.

Considering the dinky POS HS/fan they had on the 7200, the fact the I lapped the heatspreader to be abit flatter, and the tiger4 on there (which gave me 29 more mhz core)... I should be able to up the voltage abit. questions is how/how much. I guess I'll do some googling. I don't want the mod to be permenent (if I could turn it back down to stock w/ a resistor that's fine to). I dunno if I'm ever going to get another cold day (this winter) so I can lower the room temp. I suppose I could try some ramsinks as well?

The guy who beat me only has 32MB of ram on his card. did they make 32MB DDR? I have 64MB DDR.

I would volt mod it and shoot for the moon myself:D As Ed said, you will need higher card clocks to get there. Try the CAT 3.5/3.7 out also.

Of course, the questions is where do I find a voltmod for this thing. Been googling but nothing worthwhile.

I have tried 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, and some omegas It seems to like the 3.2s best.

Just looking over the X-Bit 8500 mod guide a bit, and noticed that it share some of the components seen on you 7200. Primarily the controller LM2636M. I bet you could do that mod the same for some more vgpu.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon8500-overclocking.html

Heres the chip
core13-2.jpg
core13-3.jpg

They do three mods for vgpu, so that is a bit different than we are used to.

Have a look:D

Some ramsinks couldn't hurt - might give you a couple MHz more on the memory. If you don't have some air moving over the card as it is, get some fans blowing over it. Also, try mounting a fan to blow right over the back of your GPU. That could lower your core temps a little.

I'd do that in addition to a volt mod.

Those are pretty sweet scores for that card. Back when I had one of those, I didn't have all the other fast components so I have no idea what I would have achieved. Maybe a vapochill to your video card will do the trick?

Ok, I guess I'll be taking the knife (err soldering iron) to my baby possibly next week. I know I have 3 ram sinks (a couple are 1/2 sink), but maybe I can round up some more w/ out having to make an order. I did have a fan blowing on the card for that score, but I'm sure I can get better better airflow then I had... but I doubt it'll give me another mhz.

What about putting a non conductible "tray/plate" on the back of the card and putting an ice cube on it? Then replacing the cube after each bench. I probably wouldn't have to insulate anything. Question is what do I make the plate out of? I'll look around the house.

Back