• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So who's got the DD's 12v pump then?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beatnic

Registered
Saw a pic at Gruntville's forums.. the guy took a pic comparing the DD pump with a hydor, eheim and a mag.. and teh DD is unbelievably small! so who's got one? how's the noise like in real life?

small and powerful.. what could a watercooler ask for more? :D

beatnic said:
so who's got one? how's the noise like in real life?

small and powerful.. what could a watercooler ask for more? :D

I have two.

They whine, really quite noticably. The ~40-45dB rating is probably correct in terms of sound pressure volume, but it doesn't tell you how annoying the sound is.

Depends - if you've come to accept the whining pitch of 5000RPM fans as bearable, then the D4 pump will be something you won't notice. It's not as loud as said fans, but the pitch of the noise is about the same.

BeerHunter said:
small and powerful.. what could a watercooler ask for more?
------------------------------
Quiet? You got a link? BTW_ their "spinning fan" logo is annoying as hell. I tried to search for the thread but got annoyed and left.

Heres the thread on that pump here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=264577

Here is the link: http://www.gruntville.com/casegallery/albums/albuq51/100_1402.jpg

Cathar; is there anyway you could make a short recording of what the pump sounds like. If not could you pick the fan here it sounds most like? Thanks...

I'm currently trying to decide between the D4 and the MCP600. Either is going to go into an external box, which is covered on all sides with foam (1 inch thick, mid-density), so depending on the frequency of the sound it may be heavily dampened. But the main reason I went to watercooling is to get away from high-speed fan noise, so the pump noise is the deciding factor between the two.

kct2 said:

Cathar; is there anyway you could make a short recording of what the pump sounds like. If not could you pick the fan here it sounds most like? Thanks...

Hmmm, no real way for me to make a recording until I figure it out over the next day or so.

Pitch of the noise would be slightly higher pitched than #17 (YSTech 60mm @ 4200RPM), and slightly lower pitched than #6 (Delta 60mm Black Label @ 6900RPM). Like I said before, a bit like a whining 5000RPM fan pitch. Imagine a whining pitch mid-way between those two 60mm fans, remove the rushing air noise of course, and in volume about as loud as a ~3000RPM 80mm case-fan, and you've got a fair idea of what the pump sounds like at 12V. The pump has a real square-wave sounding whine to it, and I would imagine that both the YSTech and the Delta's use square-wave brushless controllers as well, which gives that distinctive sound.

At 16V, the pitch is pretty much spot on with the 60mm Delta @ 6900RPM.

beatnic said:

omg that's too loud for me :eek:

Note: I said pitch, not volume. The pump is nowhere near as loud as a 6900RPM 60mm Delta Black Label (I have one still sitting here). Probably 1/3-1/4 of the human perceived volume of that fan at the same distance, but the whining pitch is reminiscent of said fan.

Turning the voltage down would decrease the performance (b00!) of the pump but I guess the pitch of a 60mm delta banshee isn't very pleasant either. One of those suckers took a chunk out of my finger. Never again...

The Big One said:
how many gph does the dd-4 make on 12v

That info is available in the thread BeerHunter linked to above, and at the Danger Den website.

So I emailed DD asking for a sound sample of the pump. They said they didn't have one available. However, in the response they described the sound as "a very mild hum as compared to the load high pitch of some CPU fans." This does not seem consistant with Cathar's description of the sound.

EDIT: The DD tech said he would try to get me a sound file later in the week, so I will withhold judgement until then...

Last edited:
kct2 said:
So I emailed DD asking for a sound sample of the pump. They said they didn't have one available. However, in the response they described the sound as "a very mild hum as compared to the load high pitch of some CPU fans." This does not seem consistant with Cathar's description of the sound.

Okay, this is what the pumps sound like. Now I have two pumps here, one is slightly louder than the other one. I used the quieter one for this test.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/pumpfans.wav

Microphone was positioned 10cm (4") from the thing making the noise.

Approximate times:

0-7.5s - Laing D4 (DD 12V) Pump at 12V
7.5-15s - Laing D4 (DD 12V) Pump at 16V
15-22.5s - Generic 3000RPM 80mm Axial Case Fan
22.5-30s - YSTech 4500RPM 60mm Axial Fan
30-38s - Papst 612NGML 60mm 2500RPM Axial Fan

Now I don't pretend that I have a noise floor much below 30dBA so you can get a good guage for the relative volumes by listening to the Papst fan (the last sound section) which is noticably audible in a quiet room from 1m (3') away, despite it carrying a 20dBA rating by the manufacturer.

do u think that if i were to stick the pump in a wooden box lined with egg carton foam with 2 holes for the hoses that it would cut out a majority of that sound pressure

Back