• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building my own AMD dually - tons of pictures (56K warning!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wquiles

Here is my own “adventure” in building an AMD dually following Chris' awesome How-To guide:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221503

My post here is not meant to replace Chris' work but rather to complement his work with additional pictures. I hope you will find this useful.

Gather all components:
DSCN0491.JPG

DSCN0493.JPG

DSCN0494.JPG

DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0496.JPG

Getting ready to fit the two large 90mm fans:
DSCN0543.JPG

Initial prime95 (two instances) while looking at Motherboard monitor (I installed Win2K prior to this with a single HD and the DVD player working as CDROM for the install medial):
DSCN0544.JPG

Last edited:
Remember the safety glasses:
DSCN0600.JPG

Sparks fly:
DSCN0606.JPG

All done on the back:
DSCN0607.JPG

Do the same on the front one:
DSCN0608.JPG

Taking the sharp edges off:
DSCN0609.JPG

Make sure you clean all metal particles that could short electronics later:
DSCN0610.JPG

Line up holes in motherboard with holes on case for standoffs:
DSCN0611.JPG

DSCN0612.JPG

DSCN0613.JPG

Remove rear case openings depending on what are you are going to use:
DSCN0614.JPG

Line up motherboard and make sure all holes line up with standoffs and bolt everything down:
DSCN0616.JPG

Add hard drives/cables:
DSCN0665.JPG

Make sure everything works and then close up the case and test for stability again:
(dually on the right, old PIII on the left)
DSCN0687.JPG

Enjoy your new AMD dually !!!

Thanks Chris for all of your help and others here in the forum for the support/encouragement :)

William Quiles
(wquiles)

I am confused...lol... If ya started with 1800+ why after the socket mod ar ya at 1800+ ? ?

diehard,
I should had put more detail. The front side bus was set with the motherboard jumper to 100Mhz in those two pictures. Once back to 133 I was then getting 2000Mhz, or 2400+. At FSB 150Mhz I hit 2250Mhz. Sorry that was confusing :(

I did not keep really good notes on the prices I paid, but approx:

- LCD Display: $549
- motherboard: $200
- CPU's: $65 each
- Power supply: $100
- Heat Sinks: $30 each
- Artic Silver: $4-5
- Memory: $230
- Case: $40
- HD: $60-70 each
- Video Card: $50
- RAID Card: $75
- DVD Burner: $80
- Floppy: $5
- FANS: $6-8 for the 92mm and about $10-12 for the 120mm
- cables: FREE (had many already)

=> So approx. $1100 without the LCD display.

I bought this stuff over a 4-5 month period of time (many times waiting for stuff to be on special and/or with rebates), usually one or two things at a time. It was hard to do (as I wanted to start building the dually!) but I had a budget I wanted to follow :)

Back