• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chayos00

I'm getting rid of my Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.3G computer and builiding a new AMD 64 bit system. I just want to know if anybody has any comments about the stuff I'm getting, maybe they know that a certain part is crap or what no. Thanks. This is gonna be my first compter for overclocking. Right now I'm not looking for major overclocking just something that will overclock and still have fun with.

- Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V1000A Super Tower without Power Supply
- Aspire 520W 12V Black Triple Fan Aluminum Power Supply, Model "ATX-AS520W 12V"
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 MB L2 Cache
- ASUS K8T800 Chipset Motherboard Model "K8V Deluxe"
- CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "A-FX98"
- Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM (gonna buy another stick in a few months)
- Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y080M0
- ALPHA Heatsink for AMD64, Model "PAL8150T"
- Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II. Variable Fan Speed Control, by temperature sensor.
- CoolMax Aluminum Hard Disk Driver Cooler w/ 2 Fans,Model:133101

All from newegg.com, with shipping and the extened warranty for a grand total of $1,203.61.

Any comments would be appreciated.

chayos00 said:
I'm getting rid of my Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.3G computer and builiding a new AMD 64 bit system. I just want to know if anybody has any comments about the stuff I'm getting, maybe they know that a certain part is crap or what no. Thanks. This is gonna be my first compter for overclocking. Right now I'm not looking for major overclocking just something that will overclock and still have fun with.

- Aspire 520W 12V Black Triple Fan Aluminum Power Supply, Model "ATX-AS520W 12V"
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 MB L2 Cache
- ASUS K8T800 Chipset Motherboard Model "K8V Deluxe"
- CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "A-FX98"
- Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM (gonna buy another stick in a few months)
- Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y080M0
- ALPHA Heatsink for AMD64, Model "PAL8150T"
- Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II. Variable Fan Speed Control, by temperature sensor.
- CoolMax Aluminum Hard Disk Driver Cooler w/ 2 Fans,Model:133101

All from newegg.com, with shipping and the extened warranty for a grand total of $1,203.61.

Any comments would be appreciated.

the ram you definiely could buy the Low Latency one :) i believe its v1.1 and its BH-5 chip. i used to run 2 sticks of it dual channel but now i'm on ocz :) still have thsoe 2 sticks as i loved them a lot.

looks pretty gewd. now you get a h2o rig and oc that bad boi :)

Why not a Lian Li I hate my xaserIII not enough room. Second on the 9800 pro or xt.

Why so much on a case?
You can get a nice case for 50 bucks, save you 50 bucks
Get a 9800pro instead of that 5900
No need for that HDD cooler when your just getting a 7200rpm drive, it just costs money, takes up a bay, adds noise, and is anoying to mount and remount HDD's in.
Definetly go for a gig before you go for low latency RAM. If you can get em both then go for it, but if you only get to choose 1 of those go for the gig.

ram

I thought the ram was low latency ram. the stats are
"Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 1T"
The one chips labled LL the timings are "Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6"
The only diff is the 4th number from a 3 to a 2. And what ever is the 1T thing.

So thats not low latency?

Last edited:
Personaly, I would get 2 serial ata drives and run them in raid, and ditch the xaser. Get a 9800 instead of the geforce, and go for a gig of ram. It REALY makes a difference in C&C Generals and BF1942.

Agreed, definitely get a 9800 pro or XT; but know that the performance between the xt and pro is almost unnoticeable, so be careful what you spend your money on... so I would say a pro (128meg, no need for 256).

case

So whats everybody's beef with the case? I mean if you don't like it and there is a good reason then whats up with it. I think it looks cool and has plenty of slots for what I need. Plus I like the 7 case fans.

I would get the antec, in fact, I got an antec clone. Great case. The problem with the xasers is that they are too flashy. Its knda like driving through your neighborhood, where everyone has small christmas lights and everything up, and this one house Has over $20,000 of decorations and 1000w bulbs illuminating it all. Its obnoxios.

Yuriman said:
I would get the antec, in fact, I got an antec clone. Great case. The problem with the xasers is that they are too flashy. Its knda like driving through your neighborhood, where everyone has small christmas lights and everything up, and this one house Has over $20,000 of decorations and 1000w bulbs illuminating it all. Its obnoxios.

I think it's more like where everyone in your neighborhood is driving a BMW or Mercedes Benz, and you have a Honda Civic all 2-Fast-2-Furious-ized out. Everyone else has a sleek looking car that won't lose it's looks after years of use, but your driving something that just looks totally out of place anywhere you go.

The Xaser looks like a kid's computer. I think they were trying to go for a futuristic look, but it really looks like they went way to far. A coolermaster ATC-110 looks futuristic. Smooth, no curves, slick silver/brushed aluminum surface. The Xaser? What's with the red parts???

id get a 9800pro and a gig off ram also, if he likes that case dont tell him not to get it :p :D

i know some people here dont like that case but your not the one sitting infront off it when it comes are u.

I'm keeping the case if those are the only reasons why people are telling me not to get it. Besides I have a compartment where the case is going to sit in, that is behind a closed door. But I'm swaping the ram to "Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200". As far as the video card goes I'm thinking between the "SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP" or the "CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "A-FX98"".

But from the reviews that I have seen about both the cards, the ATI has a lower speed but they both can be clocked up the 475mhz for the core speed and 960mhz ram speed. From the results the nvidia card has a bit better score.

So what's the deal with the two which one is better???

I think it looks cool and has plenty of slots for what I need. Plus I like the 7 case fans.

Besides I have a compartment where the case is going to sit in, that is behind a closed door.

Lol, you have just eliminated both reasons for liking this case, as you will not be seeing it in the first place and there will be NO airflow in that compartment.

Hope you don't catch your desk on fire lol.

Also I too suggest the gig of ram and 9800pro, you won't regret it later :)

One thing that I plan on doing with the compartment is either just to take off the door. Or I'm going to cut open a hole in the top part of the back or it and put a fan in the there to bring in fresh air. There already is a big open area in the bottom of the compartment where air can get in but I'd like to get more cooling air in there.

Plus as I put in my first post I'm getting the 512 of ram now and then getting another 512 stick or two later in a few months. When your in the military you kind of have to live on a budget.

Jason

Go with a 9800 pro 128 and get a second HD a run a raid 0. I prefer the WD Raptor 10K rpm sata drives

I'ved decided to get a Chieftec Dragon Server tower. I've had to change that because I had to lower my budget some.

I think it's more like where everyone in your neighborhood is driving a BMW or Mercedes Benz, and you have a Honda Civic all 2-Fast-2-Furious-ized out

Nice analogy Amino!

System sounds good, I wish I had that kind of money! Definately go with the better video card.

BTW...
How do you guys get your quotes to say "Originally posted by......"

Thanks

Back