• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

I just swapped my asus a7n8x deluxe rev. 2.0 for a abit nf7-s rev 2.0 motherboard. and i had purchase a AQXEA 2500+ a few days ago and today i put everything together with a new psu.

As soon as i turned on the comp i just set the processor at a 3200+ with 1.65vcore and 6-2-2-2 timings on my memory. For a processor running that fast with such a low vcore is a good overclock right?

I know i can overclock some more but im not too familiar with overclocking with this motherboard. instead of percentages there are ratios. i would appreciate some help with that.

sorry if i sound like a newb.

Turn off any automatic setting of the FSB and Memory timings in bios and select 11x200, 1.65Vcore, any ratio that equals 1 IE 6/6, 5/5, etc. Enable CPU Interface. Set your timings to 2-2-2-11, trust me on this. Not being familiar with your ram, you may have to bump the ram voltage to 2.7 or 2.8V. Remember the NF7-S delivers .1V higher Vdimm than you call for in bios. I've confirmed this on two NF7-S V2 boards from two different lots. Turn off Automatic Speed Throttling as well as any Spread Spectrum. Turn of CPU disconnect. That may make it idle cooler, but who cares about the temp at idle anyway. It can contribute to instability, so turn it off. With a reasonable heatsink, those settings should run any stress test until the cows come home with a newer (post week 002x) Barton 2500.

Once you get it stable, then consider working up the FSB, which may or may not require higher Vcore and Vdimm. I set my Vdd (chipset voltage) to 1.7V as I can not get 11x220 stable at 1.6 or 1.5V with the timings I'm using.

Good Luck

Hoot

I agree with Hoot.
Run CPU-Z and watch the VCore voltage, you'll see it's higher than you think. I set mine back so the real voltage is 1.65v (or lower if possible). It's a modest, but perfectly normal overclock for a good 2500+
enjoy it!! :)

Having my timings that high defeats the purpose of my buying my ram. They're Mushkin PC3200 Level II (BH-5). Im sure they can handle tighter timings. Also why would i need to turn off the speed spectrum and what is it that the Automatic speed throutling does?

If i currents have it at a 3200+ 11x200 why would i need to raise the latency on the memory and increase the voltage going to it?

In my sig my 2100+ handle high speeds with tight timings fine. shouldnt my 2500+ be able to out do that?

Last edited:
PiMpShiN is hardheaded .. Everything hoot said is right .. Your cpu vCore undervolts too , so settings it to 1.675 or 1.70 is good .. Cou disconnect really doesnt matter unless you are overclocking over 220.. nForce get better timings with 11-2-2-2 as opposed to 6-2-2-2 .. Do it man !! DO IT !!

I just tried it. put the timings= 11-2-2-2 vcore= 1.65 ratio= 5/5
vdimm= 2.8 fsb= 205 clock= 2260 . Im on my way to getting this cpu overclocked. Ill keep posting my good results.

ok now at 2370. same timings vdimm= 2.8 vcore= 1.725 (wouldnt hurt to have the vcore higher than needed) ratio= 6/5
31C currectly

i know but then the memory is going too fast which wont make the computer stable or fails to post.

so far the best ive gotten is 219x11. are there any other combinations that i can use of some other way to get the fsb higher. i mean i might as well take advantage of the fact its unlocked right?

well i got mine up to hoots now. 11x220 with a 1.93 vcore:( i feel like thats too high.
ratio=5/5
temp=32C
stepping=2-3-3-8
clock=2426mhz
do you think i can go more, such as higher fsb?

you've got mushkin level 2's and you can't get 220 11-2-2-2 ? Jeesh - mine do 235 101 % stable , those timings at 2.9v ..
Honestly though , for a barton thats a good overclock .. Voltage is high , but what are the temps liek fully loaded ?

Turn off any automatic setting of the FSB and Memory timings in bios and select 11x200, 1.65Vcore, any ratio that equals 1 IE 6/6, 5/5, etc. Enable CPU Interface. Set your timings to 2-2-2-11, trust me on this. Not being familiar with your ram, you may have to bump the ram voltage to 2.7 or 2.8V. Remember the NF7-S delivers .1V higher Vdimm than you call for in bios. I've confirmed this on two NF7-S V2 boards from two different lots. Turn off Automatic Speed Throttling as well as any Spread Spectrum. Turn of CPU disconnect. That may make it idle cooler, but who cares about the temp at idle anyway. It can contribute to instability, so turn it off. With a reasonable heatsink, those settings should run any stress test until the cows come home with a newer (post week 002x) Barton 2500.

Once you get it stable, then consider working up the FSB, which may or may not require higher Vcore and Vdimm. I set my Vdd (chipset voltage) to 1.7V as I can not get 11x220 stable at 1.6 or 1.5V with the timings I'm using.
Can I apply these settings to my set up???????

well i didnt even try 2-2-2-11. im not trying to make you mad but dude you cant compare 2 different processors. my 2100+ could probably do just as good with the right motherboard. i've gotten it to 2.5ghz before.

StinkNBreff said:
nForce get better timings with 11-2-2-2 as opposed to 6-2-2-2

No, these are the timings, what you mean is that with these timings the memory bandwidth will be higher.

Hoot said:
Set your timings to 2-2-2-11, trust me on this.

Here is some proof that 2-2-2-11 does give better bandwidth with the nForce 2 Chipset that 2-2-2-5.

It is the T-RAS timing that needs to be set to 11.

Craig

latest oc
clock= 2450
FSB=223
Multi=11
vcore=2.03
vdimm=2.9
chipset=2.7

i had it up to 225 fsb but my temps go too hot. and almost 227, but that would be for another day.:)
interesting what ive learned in a few hours about this motherboard. its not so hard when you get used to it.;)

let me know if theres anything else i can do.

oh and i remember before i got this board about people telling me about how it begins to undervolt when you get to around 2v on the vcore and they said something about mosfets. its supposed to keep the voltage steady i believe, i would appreciate some extra info on the subject.

Back