• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3000+ vs P4C 2.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

Looking at the prices at Pricewatch.com I got this info

A64 3000+ $213
P4C 2.8Ghz $197

Pretty close pricing with less than 10% difference...

At stock speeds I think the P4 would be crushed in most things. Overclocked, however, I think the tables would turn. Overall I think the P4 maybe a better buy right now.

Some opinions? :)

problem with the 3000+ is that socket 754 is going to have a very short life. 939 will take over in a few months. the 3000+ also has half the cache of its big brother the 3200+ which has 1mb.

i don't have any performance numbers handy but i think stock they will be similar, but the 2.8 will start to walk once you up the frequency. a64's haven't been too overclocking friendly yet. some but nothing like intel chips are doing.

This article at Anand compares the A643000 to a 3.0 & 3.2 and stacks up very well against them at stock speeds. so against the 2.8 it would win nicely but at the end they show it doesn't OC well (with the mobo they used ) so from that article I'd stay with my 2.8 :) then again it may do alot better in other mobo's but that i cannot answer :(

Maxvla said:
problem with the 3000+ is that socket 754 is going to have a very short life. 939 will take over in a few months. the 3000+ also has half the cache of its big brother the 3200+ which has 1mb.

i don't have any performance numbers handy but i think stock they will be similar, but the 2.8 will start to walk once you up the frequency. a64's haven't been too overclocking friendly yet. some but nothing like intel chips are doing.

Socket 478 is not going to be alive much longer, either... so either way you're going to have a fairly short upgrade path. AMD will release one last S754 chip, either a 3700+ or 3600+ at 2.4ghz with 1mb L2 cache. I've got a 3000+ sitting beside me now, and it'll hold me at least a year until the 2.4ghz chips come down in price, then I'll pluck one of those and make it last another year.

The chips do overclock fairly well. You can get 2300-2400mhz on air. While that might not seem like much, their processing power scales like crazy.

I think you'd have to get the 2.8 to 3.5 or so to beat a 3000+ at around 2300mhz.

I think you'd have to get the 2.8 to 3.5 or so to beat a 3000+ at around 2300mhz

That would be a nice comparison and one i'd like to see.
Just wish I had the money for another rig to try :)

d]g[ts, it's just a guess on my part, but a somewhat educated guess. If you can tell me what kind of 3dmark you get with that 9800 and at what overclock, then when I get my A64 set up (hopefully this afternoon) I can probably give you something to compare to.

Hmm, no PM received. My PMs seem to have been acting funny lately. Anyway, I've got my A64 set up, but I was initially having some trouble getting it going (seems to have been caused by the SB Live!). I'm slowly testing things out, and hopefully I'll have something to compare shortly.

sent annother think i did it right this time

ran a couple already will be nice to see real world results

The 1MB cache has shown to have a minimal effect on the performance in most applications. I think that the 2.8C and the A63 3000+ are both great bang for the buck chips.

hey shade, please post a review of your setup when you are finished working out the bugs. i'm interested in a similar setup but dunno if its quite worth 300-320 for the board and chip.

I'll post all my findings as soon as I'm able to reach a stable point with this system. Unfortunately, it may be a few days. :( I'm going to have to pick up a new power supply, as my Antec SL300 just isn't cutting it. I'm getting kicked back to desktop in 3dmark and it randomly reboots sometimes. The 3.3v rail is hovering around 3.10 :(. I'd imagine it dips even further when it gets under load. I was able to bench in 3dmark at 215, but 220 was a no-go. I'm going to keep playing around, but a new power supply is on the way. Here's the setup:

Athlon 64 3000+
Leadtek K8N
512mb Buffalo PC3200 (tried 1 512mb stick and 2x256)
R9800np

I've been booting into Windows and running Sandra at 230, but like I said, 3dmark either boots me to the desktop or crashes. I'm going to start testing various speeds with P95 to see what kind of voltages I'm going to end up using. Anyway, I'm going to go back to testing.... should have some more findings later tonight.

The 2.8 sounds like its a little slower in benchmarks against A64 3000, but overclocked it sounds faster. It would probably seem the same speed though.

d]g[ts and I are in the process of working up a detailed comparison between the two overclocked. He's got his P4 2.8C at 3.5ghz and I'm trying to get my 3000+ up to 2.3. My blasted PSU is getting dragged down like nobody's business, so right now I'm only stable at 2150. :( I'm hopefully going to pick one up in the next couple of days... stay tuned.

Being that the CPU database is down .... what type of overclocks are people getting out ot the P4 2.8c ???
From what i've seen around 3.5 is the top for these without phase change ( i can be wrong tho) hopfully tuesday my 2.8MO will be here and i'll see what it can do but no matter what I'll stay @3.5 till we're done comparing

Last edited:
Anaxagoras1986 said:
I think the P4 would be crushed in most things. Overclocked, however, I think the tables would turn. Overall I think the P4 maybe a better buy right now.

Some opinions? :)
It all depends on what applications that are of greatest value to you.

Back