• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy? 2500+ or 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

I'm going to be buying a new system to replace my current one (see my profile for the specs). I've already decided on the ABIT NF7-S version 2(for features & OC'ing capabilities all for under $100) for the mobo. But, I'm torn between the 2600+(I think these are unlocked) and the 2500+($15 cheaper than 2600 but locked(?)). I'm not going to OC these chips too much(maybe to a 3000+) so I was wondering if I should spend the extra $15 for an unlocked(?) CPU vs. a locked(?) one. Also, do you think that a Volcano7+ will be good enough for OC'ing either of these chips to a 3000+ (with Arctic Silver 5)? And should I spend more money on brand name RAM? And will a 300-watt PSU be enough(for 3HDs, DVD+RW, & ATI All-in-Wonder Radon 9700 Pro)? Sorry for all the questions. All advice appreciated!

I'd go with the 2600+. You might be unlucky like me and the F****R won't overclock a single bit. Read my sig... :mad::mad:

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

What RAM are we talking about?
If they're locked, look for PC3000 or PC3200 RAM.

Watts are not what you look for. Power Supply Unit can take out all your other components. Many PSU manufacturers list specs that do not reflect true capabilities of their products so all info on the PSU label doesn't mean much except for the brand, just look for the brand:

All Antecs (Channel Well) are good (Antec True Power is better), Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi (Heroichi), PC Power and Cooling, or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI, Zalman (Aopen).

Volcano7+ will do the job only because Bartons overclock to 3000+ easy, you may need to increase Vcore voltage, etc.

FYI all copper Thermalright (not Thermaltake) heatskins are the ones to get if you can.

Exactly how high do you think I can oc my locked barton with stock cooling and TIM. I used all my cash just getting the chip so its my only option. The HSF I was using before on the duron was just a loaner from a friend until I got my new chip, so I don't have it anymore.

well it also depends on what kind of 2600+, there are thoroughbreds and there are bartons. and the thing is they both oc very well. but a 2500+ is always a good choice. The locked ones overclock extremely well and so do the locked ones. If you check around im sure you'll find a unlocked one too if you want one. I found one todays, in the sig.

so it basically depends on which 2600+ and 2500+ is ALWAYS a good choice. rarely are they bad

I would go with the 2500 as I have NOT seen any unlocked 2600's

2500 has a multiplier of 11 and the 2600 has 11.5, so if you get some PC3200 you will get about 2200MHz with the 2500. This is very doable with stock HSF, but if you go the 2600 and try for a FSB of 200MHz you will get 2300MHz ----> I have 3 2500's and all of them are NOT ---> 100% prime95 stable above 2275MHz at any voltage !!

So the locked 2500's really suit PC2300 ram. If you get good quallity ram eg: windbond CH-5 or BH-5's chips you can push the FSB up untill the cpu reaches it's limit!

Budget: $375. Buying from Newegg.com w/FedEx Express Saver Shipping option (to Minnesota). Price format: [subtotal, shipping(if not $0), total(if shipping is not $0)]

Heres what I'm definatly buying:
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ "Barton" 333MHz FSB 512kb Cache (OEM) [$85]
ABIT NF7-S mobo(Retail Box) [$100]
AHANIX ROMEO (RED) Case [$20, $15, $35] << Cheapest Mid-Tower
Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease [$7, $4, $11]

Here's what I'm thinking of getting:
Thermaltake Volcano7+ Fan/Heatsink [$18, $5, $23]
Kingston 512 Meg DDR400 (PC3200) ValueRAM (Retail box) [$78]
Fortron FSP350-60PN 350W PSU (Retail box) [$42]

Totals: $347.97, $ 24.00, $371.97

I'm recycling all my drives from my current setup(2 5400RPM Maxtor HDs, a 7200RPM Western Digital HD (excellent drive!), 4x2.4x16 DVD+RW) as well as a 52x24x52 CD-RW I have lying around. Everything in the "definatly" section needs no explanation. I'm not sure if the Volcano7+ will be enough for this setup (it says "rated to 3400+" on the Thermaltake website but I'm a bit skeptical). I'm not sure if the Kingston ValueRAM would be good enough for oc'ing. And I'm not sure it I need a PSU with a higher wattage rating(for drives(above), AthlonXP 2500+ oc'ed to 3000+/3200+, memory, Radeon 9600 Pro(future planning, right now I have a ATI All-in-Wonder Rage 128 Pro(PCI)), cooling, + all NF7-S onboards). If any of the above components are going to be problems for me I'd like to hear it! Again, all replies appreciated!

I have some buffalo ram ( winbond CH-5 chips ) that dose 220MHz ( 2.0, 3, 3, 11) at 2.8, volts, and it cost me $73 from HERE delivered life- time warranty too !!

Maybe go for a thermaltake volcano 12 the one with th big-*** fan that is speed controllable !

OH and red cases overclock alot faster...LOL

Hmm... to be honest I dont know much about thermaltake products ! but going by all the reviews I've read the V12 is considerably better than any other TT HSF !

If you can find a Spire FalconRock 2 or a whisper-Rock IV they are cheap and very good performers !!

I'll probably stick with the ValueRAM and the Forton PSU. I'm thinking now about getting a Thermalright SLK-800A with a Thermaltake Smart Fan II. I'm going to ask if this will get the job done or if I'm going overkill in the cooling forum.

EDIT: Fixed typo and link to other thread.

Last edited:
Back