• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Vibrations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanidin

Ok, I've searched through several threads and they all say to use foam rubber to stop vibrations. My Eheim 1250 is causing my aluminum case to resonate/vibrate or something. It's annoying. I went out and bought all sorts of rubber washers and mounted my pump to my case using them. It still vibrated a little so I went and bought a mouse pad and cut it up to make some more washers(I think this is foam rubber). I put these in the stack on my mount. The nuts are tightened super tight and I can't feel anywhere on my case that is vibrating now -- but now my desk (the part where I rest my feet and also where my computer rests)is vibrating. WT? My parents bought this new desk without asking anything and it's nice except for the fact that it took all the room I had to put it on the carpet(which gladly absorbed any vibrations. I think the fact that 2 or 2 and a half of the feet are resting on the desk may have somethign to do with the fact that its vibrating... any ideas?

A few ideas:
foam rubber between th case and desk
move the pump around inside the case a bit

and most importantly:
look for areas of the pump or tubing that are in contact with other components inside the case.

I use an Eheim 1250 in a system that has some copper tubing in it and some of the copper rubs a bit, transmitting vibration. Rubber pads eliminate the noise.

Ah, my tubing touches the walls. My heatercore is insulated by the foam that was in my mobo box, which probably isnt't as good as a piece of the mousepad. I must have done something when I was looking at it because it is a bit more bearable now.

If my parents will let me I might take a slab/piece of something hard that doesnt look too ghetto then put foam rubber on both sides of it. This should eliminate the vibrations being transferred into my desk(which appears to be the culprit.) Dang, my 1250 vibrates good.

My MAG 3 came with a filter that you put on the intake for submerging it. I just cut it open and trimmed it up and put it under the pump. Makes a great vibration stopper!

MoreGooder

Try loosening the bolts to your case too - there could be vibration travelling through those bolts, and causing the case --> floor --> desk to vibrate. Just a thought.

I wondered about that too. I have nylon bolts but they're real tight. It'll be a while before I loosen them though- with my current setup I have to remove the pump to get to the last 2 nuts :( And I've discovered an actual use for my noise cancelling headphones :)

If at all possible, suspend the pump just a little bit off the case with zip ties. It works wonders, as I discovered a couple of nights ago.

Do you have any pictures of this? I have about 1/3 inch of rubber between the pump and the case in 4 points(The bolts).

Here ya go :)

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

If I touch the case, I can feel a little vibration, but I can't hear a thing. Before I did this, all kind of things would randomly begin to vibrate. I imagine using some sort of strong rubber bands (slingshot bands come to mind) would work even better, since even more of the vibrations would be absorbed, but in this situation the case sits on carpet, so this is more than eough to stop any sort of noise.

Back