• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Dlx. Droop Mod works!!! 3.7G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sp00L

After the whole ABit MAX3 debacle, I've had some time to play with an Asus P4C800-E. I vdimm modded it to put 3.2 volts to my OCZ's and modded my 3.3 line on my psu to get the vdimm stable under load at 3.2v. Finally, I tried to the "droop" mod to stablize vcore. It's known that over 1.6 volts up to 1.7 volts, the Asus boards greatly undervolts which leads to instability. I needed about 1.62 to hit 3.7G on my 3.2 (which was a setting of 1.575 in the bios with the mod). On my MAX3, I could never go stable over 225 up to 1.7 vcore and 5:4 underclocking the ram to 186. Anyways, the screenie below shows just how far Asus has let me go versus Abit.

3-7sp00L.jpg.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a duct mod to the ram. With all my fans spinning, it still gets rather toasty under full load.

Note: 1.664 is fairly stable at idle and under load it fluctuates between 1.618 and 1.632. which is still a huge improvement over stock. Before 1.675 "drooped" to 1.55 and would error out after 33 minutes.

I have had similar results. Asus boards have given me higher overclockers over the past few months than abit. Would it be possible for you to post CLEAR pics of your mod. I know I've seen it before, but I don't want to mess up a $200 motherboard..

Nice!!!! Yes, please a clear pic would be great! I went to radio shack tonight to buy a 200 Kohm variable resistor so that I could do this mod, but they didn't have any. ... uh... anyhoo.... could you tell us: Did you use a variable resistor, or did you use a "static" resistor, such as a 28 Kohm one? And if you did use a static one, can you still change the Vcore in your bios, or is it stuck at x volts?

Thank you very much in advance sp00L !!!!

Here's a pic I pulled from another forum and used it to do my own mod. You can also find info. at xtremesystems.org.

p4c800_droop.jpg

Solder/connect a 50K variable resistor (potentiometer) between to the 2 wires. Set it to around 28K Ohms. That's it. It's a hard mod because the cap that you solder the two wires to is so small. I noticed when I adjust the pot it varies the voltage some but not much. The bios settings still govern the vcore but the mod adds about 0.1 volts.

Just for reference, my MAX3 took forever to get to 225, and this mod alone got me up to 232. You will of course void your warranty or worse, fry your board, so be careful.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks!

I've seen all of the other threads and guides relating to this mod, including the one on extremesystems.org, but I can't make out which cap you solder to:

vcoremod.jpg

I believe that cap you are supposed to solder the resistor to is the one I circled in red. Is this correct? Or is it the one circled in green?

Thanks again!

It's the one you circled in red. The cap closest to that big chip. I almost melted mine, but then again, my hand isn't so steady:eek: Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Back