• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hrm, I'm glad I don't have an iPod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveSauce

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12905

Anyone here have an iPod and can confirm this? I just can't believe that they'd charge $255 to replace the battery on an iPod.

The iPod is on death row if this is an actual, confirmed problem.......but then again, knowing mac fanatics....lol. They'll probably argue to death that it's more economical to buy an ipod than another HD mp3 player and keep buying batteries or something of the sort. You never know what the mac fanatics will do next, heh.

Go Creative Zen NX, I also like the look more. Migh be getting one when I come up with some extra moolah.

jesus.. this spreads everywhere and noone bothers to actually investigate.

you can buy a replacement battery from www.ipodbattery.com for 49 dollars and install it yourself.

now 49 dollars may sound like alot but remember this battery must be rechargeable, run a HD, circuitry, and power your headphones for 8-10 hours, and be the size of a 5 pack of doublemint. batteries of similar capacity/size are close in price. its not just because its an Ipod battery that its more expensive.

heck.. my cordless phone's battery is about 4 times the size and can only be used for around 4-5 hours (constant online) before needing recharging and it costs 20 dollars to replace.

Scratching the surface a bit deeper...

If you put the part number into google you can find that battery lots of places and everyone charges right around USD $50 for it. Where this really starts to get interesting is when I found one site that said it is a "lithium polymer" battery.

Now if you search on lithium polymer it appears that 18 months is just about what you get from that type of battery. It appears that that is not a problem with Apple products but a limitation of the technology. After 500 charge cycles any further use you can get from those batteries is gravy.

What would be interesting would be if someone with an Ipod is willing to risk $25 to see if This battery can be pressed into service. You would have to break it in half but then you would have two $12 batteries. Same voltage same mAh rating.

isnt that the website to The Inquirer newspaper. that newspaper is so dumb, i think they have to sign somethin that says the will never run the truth in there magazine :D saw the frontpage on one of those one day. talked about them chasing some bat boy across 5 states. stupid idiots. i would never buy an ipod if it cost 255 to replace a battery i dont even think mac users are THAT stupid :D

amazon10x said:
isnt that the website to The Inquirer newspaper.

Nope, they're two different things. You're thinking of The National Enquirer :)

And yeah, $250 bucks is bogus. I imagine anyone on these forums _could_ change the battery themselves.

Last edited:
well yes, but think of your average mac user.....I'm assuming that it would take a bit of effort to get to the battery (i.e. screwdriver), which Im sure many people wouldn't want to do to a $400 piece of hardware......im sure a lot of people would rather shell out $250 to apple, rather than spend $50 and do it themselves.....which scares me, actually.

also, it's rather odd that apple would charge $250 for something that only costs $50. I mean, that's not just a ripoff, that's highway robbery. I mean, i can understand charging $100 to do it.....but 250 is a bit rediculous.

DaveSauce said:
well yes, but think of your average mac user.....I'm assuming that it would take a bit of effort to get to the battery (i.e. screwdriver), which Im sure many people wouldn't want to do to a $400 piece of hardware......im sure a lot of people would rather shell out $250 to apple, rather than spend $50 and do it themselves.....which scares me, actually.

also, it's rather odd that apple would charge $250 for something that only costs $50. I mean, that's not just a ripoff, that's highway robbery. I mean, i can understand charging $100 to do it.....but 250 is a bit rediculous.
wrong again.

apples battery replacement service is 99 dollars. complete refurbishment is 250.

still, thats a lot of money. i dont know why anyone would pay that when you could replace it yourself. i mean, i dont own an ipod but it cant be that hard

LOL you guys should be like me a buy an all-in-one smartphone.

I bought a Motorola MPX200 smartphone(flip style :) ) It got Microsoft Mobile 2003, and window media player. I even bought me a 512mb SD card and fill it up with MP3. I can even watch movies and best of all, it's a phone. Check it out and maybe you'll join me too.

I was really tempted at an ipod, but back-off when I found out that I can spendless and have enough space for mp3. I know my collection is not even over 1gb of mp3, and 512 is enough.

I think the point of the video is that the CSR stated that the only choice was to have it refurbed for $250.00 then the CSR stated that he would be better off buying a new one. Seriously if that was a true call Apple better do something about there CSR's. I can only imagine all the people with IPOD's who are not tech savvy and call up to find out what to do and are told it will cost $250.00 and there is no other choice besides buying a new one. :eek:

ys after reading that i can only thank my lucky stars i didnt buy an ipod...........

I don't know but my ipod experience has been incredible. I've used it for a year for close to 40 hours each week and don't see the battery life diminishing at all.

Even if it does, I always buy small portable devices that can be easily damaged from BestBuy and just get the extended warranty.

I've just destroyed too many cellphones to not buy the plan. In addition to that, by the time the battery fails, most likely there will be the new version out and they will give you that instead.

FunkyTechnician said:
Even if it does, I always buy small portable devices that can be easily damaged from BestBuy and just get the extended warranty.

I've just destroyed too many cellphones to not buy the plan. In addition to that, by the time the battery fails, most likely there will be the new version out and they will give you that instead.

don't even get my started on best buy... they made me mad to no end when they wouldn't replace my antenna on my phone because they said that it was abuse that caused it to break... i thought that is what i bought the warranty for :rolleyes:

i find that when it comes to things like batteries that you can find "generic" ones online for cheaper most of the time... it's like my laptop's battery... sure it cost me $140, but it is better than the $175 that nec wanted to charge me... plus this one is even better... it has a greater rating for holding power so i can sit around without wires for longer...

Back