• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech 5300 vs. Z680 vs. Z560 vs. Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

I need a set of speakers for my computer. I use my Grados at the moment for sound but you get tired of wearing headphones all the time. Which of the four should I get and why? Right now I'm thinkin about the 5300s. But I'm wondering how they compare to the others. I know they sound good, I've read reviews and listened to them at Best Buy. But I want to hear what you all that own these systems think. Price is a factor but I also care a lot about good sound quality and I love bass. Thanx.

if money isnt a big prob of course everyone would recommend the klipsch 5.1 ultra's because klipsch are the computer speaker kings, so it really does depend on how much u can spend.

go down a store and listen urself, then if u really like the spk, check out the price around for the cheapest and get it.But usually they're selling z680 cheaper than the klipschs.Quality wise, u'll need to listen urself to judge.

helloguy said:
go down a store and listen urself, then if u really like the spk, check out the price around for the cheapest and get it.But usually they're selling z680 cheaper than the klipschs.Quality wise, u'll need to listen urself to judge.

Best advice I could give. I personjally can;t tell the difference between the Klipsch and Logitech 4.1/5.1/6.1's. If anything, the extra boom of the Logitechs and lower cost led me to my purchase of the z560s. But to know for sure, as some swear the Klipsch are better (though most technical reviews say the differences are nominal) I would suggest going to Best Buy or whatever retailer and listen for yorself.

I picked up a set of Klipsch GMX 5.1's from Best Buy on clearance, and they are in a word awsome. Nice bass and good mids and highs from the satelites. And they have a real nice look to match the rest of my silver/black theme.

The logitechs are damn good,but they won't rumble your belly liek the Promedia Ultras bro, I listened to the logitechs before buying the Klipsch and in my opinion the klipsch are just godly.

The scene in the Lord of the rings where Saron blows up and the crazy vibrating bass line rips thru the crowd..that **** can't be felt on anything but klipsch,so if you do a lot of movie viewing i totally recommend klipsch...if you just want a good system for jamming ur mp3s..the logitechs will work..but they are more like a stereo system..klipsch is more like a home theater system. :)

If you want a true sound orgy, you should get a real surrond-reciver/amplifier (those for real homecinema) and real hi-fi speakers. And not least a good active subwoofer. Stay away from the computer-brand-soundsystems like logitech, creative,etc. It will cost you more, but the gains are even greater. I use an old Denon AVR-1601 with spdif in. As speakers I use homebuilt ones, ordered as kits. I have a 15" Celestion subwoofer in a 120l. case. All In all It costed me about 10000 NOK to set up. That's about 1000£. It costs, but it's worth every penny.

Anyway. Whatever you have, always use spdif if you can!!!!

DaWiper, I went from a nice home theater to my current Logitechs, and for $200 versus $600+ for the home theater compnent setup, I'll pocket that $400 difference anyday... while there's some truth that the component system is superior, I hardly believe those minor advantages to be worth the extra cost (I'm a big cost/performance ratio fan).

PC speakers have come a long way in a short time. My Logitechs rumble with twice the magnitude of my prior sub, which by-itself cost more than half the entire Logitech setup ;). Only downfall is a slight (scientifically measured, not real-life) loss in fidelity and equalizing flexibility (though I can EQ all I need via software).

This irritates many audiophiles, as they spend, in some cases, thousands to only get a slightly better sounding system that we spend only $400 (for the best sets).

I haven't heard the Klipsch ultras yet, I'll be sure to give them a try sometime soon. :)

Last edited:
Well, I'm a sucker for good quality/cost ratio too. That's wy building your own speakers can half the cost on the speaker side. I have yet to see a computer sound setup to fill a big room with enough clean tight unclipped(no distortion) sound. They just are not up for the task. Too small drivers in the speakers and cheap amplifiers. How do you think they get them so cheap. Quality components cost money... But then again, computer setups are getting better all the time... A have faith in Klipsch.... But they cost too...

I have the z-680's and have had them for about a year, I love them, they offer alot of different inputs for a variety of setups. in either case if you want the best in sound go with them or the klipsh's. now there are two sets of klipsh's, the promedia and the new ones, the new ones I hear are better, but I also saw that the old ones have been in the clearance isle's at most of the local stores. I paid 399 for my 680's and if you can get them for $199 like I saw in the top of the thread I would say jump all over them. Also with any of these speaker sets you should really think about buying a new nforce mobo with an optical sound output either coax or fibre, and make sure that the speakers match up. You get better 5.1 with the nforce compared to the sb audigy series, and it is by far the way to hook up your new speakers. Sound quality is comparable and you will hear opinions either way, but when you pop a dvd in with your audigy card and there is no way to get 5.1 true dolby digital you'll have fits. Trust me I did and there are a few posts on this board about it. Anyways take some advice, logitec 680's or klipsh 5.1's and an nforce board with soundstream and digital out you will be quite happy. Also the logitechs are louder than the klipsh's

What do you mean. Doesn't the audigy have optical/spdif output??? Last I checked it had... If a soundcard can pass thru spdif you will get dolbydigital 5.1 with a compatible soundsystem.

DaWiper said:
What do you mean. Doesn't the audigy have optical/spdif output??? Last I checked it had... If a soundcard can pass thru spdif you will get dolbydigital 5.1 with a compatible soundsystem.

My thoughts exactly, even my older Turtle Beach did 5.1 and DTS fine through the spdif into my home theater system... hell, my current Audigy 2 NX external usb does 5.1

Yeah! Haven't tested this, but you could even hook your sound system to the digital output of a DVD drive... But, as I said haven't tested it... In other words... don't blame me if it doesn't.

hmm well I don't really play DVDs on the computer. Hell I don't even have a DVD drive on my computer. I only need speakers to play games and listen to music.

If I really had to choose between logitech and Klipsch, I would go for the Klipsch setup...

LOL I got my Logitech z680 for $150 today at my local BB. It's an open box and they're missing the remote control and that's it. I like it alot because I went from a 2.1 to a 5.1 and it's really change. Didn't have the time to play around with it much because my girlfriend is saying I'm wasting money.

But to hell what the lady said, and I went and bought it right in her face.

No hiss sounds on mine and everything is up and working. Going to find out more display model at different BB and hopefully I can find the control.

Pinky said:

This irritates many audiophiles, as they spend, in some cases, thousands to only get a slightly better sounding system that we spend only $400 (for the best sets).

:)

This is absolute nonsense! A good quality sound system makes any PC speaker system sound like the cheap components that they are. There is just no comparison!

Even if you compare a high quality system against a Pioneer, Kenwood or other low quality common stereo systems you come away absolutely stunned by the difference.

You listen to a Nakamichi, Carver, Macintosh, or other High end systems it makes the low end systems sound like crap. These PC speakers sound just average in comparison to the low end sound systems but compared to high end stuff…well……you really can’t compare.

Back