• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If You Use Case Fans Read This(no Joke)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Everyone please read this..

Today I was trying to figure out if one of my case fans was working since its in the front panel and is exhausting heat from the HD..so I can not see it, or really feel it..

I accidently BARELY touched a wire..and my 40gig Maxtor sounded like it turned off, then on again..but my system kept going..at 100% cpu usage..and it couldn't do anything new, just go in the programs open in my RAM...

This was due to my case fan's horrible connector that I had plugged into my HD. I guess that it moved it cutting power to the HD, then on again..

I sure hope that it doesn't fail me now.. :(

if it does the fan company will get an email from me..

As for the value of this thread..

PLEASE PUT ALL OF YOUR FANS/OTHER SMALL WORLTHESS DEVICES ON ANOTHER LINE FROM THE PSU, OF IF YOU DON'T TRUST THEM AT ALL, HAVE ANOTHER PSU FOR THEM. IT IS NOT WORTH IT HAVING THEM POSSIBLY DESTROY A HD.

and now I'm hearing weird noises in my case..maybe just because I'm paranoid..but I think the noise is just a sys blower..(worthless to me).

Good luck everyone with their fans.

I sort of missed something..what happened was I think that I touched the part that comes off of the molex that feeds the fan..and that somehow interfeared..so even a little tug on a wire can be bad.. :-/

Last edited:
ah that sucks man, but yea i have a dedicated line of all of my fans and lights and stuff, they dont go near my hard drives.

very good..cheap worthless fans should not be near expensive componants.

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I always seperate my fans from the lines that connect to anything else. It's one of the things that I just do and figured everyone else did as well, if anyone else reading this doesn't. IMO, you should as well.

Don't know if this thread belongs in this section though.

hmmm im not sure if i did this, but i can see all my fans so i don't have to touch them to see if they work :p

I figured that it would be worth to get yelled at by a mod once, and have more people see it in this section, than to put it away in some corner where it would be useless.

Well on the one had it looks like it may have ate your hard drive, which would suggest this goes into the storage section, but it could have happened to one of those molex connectors on the newer video cards just as easily which would put it in video. But since it all comes back to make sure your fans aren't daisy chained into other devices (and since fans are for cooling) I think it can stay here.

eobard said:
but it could have happened to one of those molex connectors on the newer video cards just as easily which would put it in video

well, if your going to say that , then you might as well say how it could happen with the CDroms...and floppies.. and everything else..

Foxie3a said:

well, if your going to say that , then you might as well say how it could happen with the CDroms...and floppies.. and everything else..
My point exactly, so instead of putting it everywhere, keep it here, where you put it in the first place. Because it all comes back to a $10 fan that could blow out a $??? anything.

maybe a sticky?

wouldn't it be good to get out the message to put all fans on one channel, since a lot of people do it already, it seems like an all around good idea.

I have killed a HDD in a similar manner, best thing to do is turn off the power before moving anything in your case. Incase no one knows, all the different lines leading into the PSU all the common voltages connect to the same place in the PSU, so all the lines are interconnected so if you shorted any of the lines you'd probaby kill whatever was on the rest of them too.

LOL, with my old pc every time I bumped it while it was on it would do that. That old maxtor 40gig is still chugging along after having the power shut off hundreds of times.

Foxie3a said:
maybe a sticky?
Stuck.
JDXNC said:
I have killed a HDD in a similar manner, best thing to do is turn off the power before moving anything in your case. Incase no one knows, all the different lines leading into the PSU all the common voltages connect to the same place in the PSU, so all the lines are interconnected so if you shorted any of the lines you'd probaby kill whatever was on the rest of them too.
I shut down my computer (the one I'm typing on) a day or two ago by nudging a memory module (I was just trying to move some wires around for the sake of cleanliness), scared the crap outta myself. I pulled the power cord, hoped I got lucky and plugged it back in (after giving it and me 5 minutes to calm down). BINGO! Fired up fine. Sometimes you dodge the bullet.

the HD was the only thing lower onthe chain down from the fan.

I have had this happen to me, I thought that it may have been due to the pass thru molex connecter. My machine would lock up if I tried to load anything new in to RAM. Anyway Hardrive lives and all fans are on a fan-bus now.

heh, foxie gj on ur first sticky!

i have one fan below my hdd..never hurt me b4, i would do em all on one channel but then my case would be one big spider-web of wires and connectors and crap
________
BRUNETTE GIRL LIVE

Last edited:
those fans must have used a lot of power..or u had a really cheap PSU.

last year when i had my old computer for just messing with and seeing if i could over heat it with it only having a p2 cpu.

it had a 250 psu and i had the case open.
my brother and some of his friends were playing with water guns outside. well my brother comes inside and shoots me with water while i am standing over my computer.
The water got all over the psu and me being relly dumn tryed to wipe the water off as fast as i could.....i also forgot to turn the power off.

somehow the water got live with the power. i went to wipe it off and i got a shock of my life. for real.

and thats why water and computers do NOT mix.

Back