• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7-E, why not high MEM-speed with 533er CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rio71

hi,
i have a (new) is7-e here, V 1.2 with blue "orb" nb-cooler.
bios 17
on it:
- sl6rz 2.40 ; fsb 533 (multi 18)
- 2 x 256mb kingston value-ram bh-5 (do ddr500 on epox in dual-modus)
- antec psu, modded 3,3v to 3,45v
- performance air-cooling
- several bios settings... game-acc all auto ... and much cmos clear's...
- using memtest-86 v3.0 on floppy for faster testing without long boot-time. test #5 is really hard. typeon keyboard: c 2 5 5 enter

i have very big problems running divider 3:4 and 4:5 for good memspeed. :bang head
with 3:4 mem can do only ddr420 (cpu @ ~2800)
with 4:5 mem can do only ddr445 (cpu @ ~3200)
with 1:1 mem can do stable ddr195 (cpu @ 3510) (with game-acc. F1 too)
all setting's are the same, only change the dividor per "n/b strap cpu as"
with all the mods the same poor result... the first two.

very short, i try in follow sequence:
(measured all with multimeter)
- mod the vmem: only resistor and also hipro5 #2 voltage divider to 3.20v, latter works better ;-)
- try bios 16 and 15
- lapped my northbridge and add asiii
- change ram to 2 x 256mb xms 3500c2
- try my modded P4m, (200fsb ; bsel1 is emoved)
--- i would not give up ---
- mod the ddr vtt: same as vdimm, but to half ddr 1,52v (cutting trace on board bottom)
- mod the (possibly) northbridge-vcore from 1,45v to 1,65 (not vagp) (LM 358 "agp-side" ; near PLL )

ooohhh damnit, i try all !! :attn:
the absolute hit is the parts running ddr500 with 3:4 on my epox 4pea (i845pe) "easy". :cry:

is the problem on is7 only ?
or a bad implement for 533er cpu's... ?

anyone idea's....... pleeeease help
----- i have no "C" chip here to test -----

I'm also using IS-7E but version 1.1 with updated BIOS 17. All I can say is that this abit board is terrible, rather I suggest u junk it off and get that Asus P4P800 for much higher yields and overclocking.

These i965/i875 running dual channel DDR will never get as high of memory speed as the single channel i845 mobos (like your old Epox). That's just a fact of life with dual channel DDR. I do not agree with ticktack, Abit makes great mobos. But, they are a little picky about what RAM to use and are limited to only 2.8v vmem unless you volt mod them.

mmm ... not really, only the dividor sucks.
running p4m at 1:1 near ddr500 (cpu @ 3.0)
with 4:5 ddr445 (cpu @ 2.15)
with 3:4 ddr420 (cpu @ 1.90)
same ram and vdimm. :confused:
... im not lucky with that. would push my sl6rz with 4:5 dividor.

hmmmm, very interesting problem. this board is designed for a 200 mhz fsb and 200 mhz memory.many people using this board with a 200 fsb cpu(ie 2.4c) are getting upwards of 290 fsb and memory at a 1-1 ratioin dual channel. that is ddr 580. so thisboard should run the memory at ddr 500 with no problem ... my gut feeling is this a bios problem, or a def memory clock generator.if u havent done this yet try a couple things.. test the mb in single channel mode and see if you get better results, if u do then the dual channel controller is defective. secondly try testing as if the cpu were a 400 mhz cpu. if u are able to run faster then it is a bios issue. please keep me informed , this is an interesting problem.... flapperhead

Back