• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An In-Depth Discussion on CPU Architecture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I am tired of reading about "Barton" and "temperature" and "Vcore"

I do'nt have any ideas.. but how about someone start talking about CPU Core Architecture..maybe with a qestion, and we can get going from there.. :)

Foxie3a said:
I am tired of reading about "Barton" and "temperature" and "Vcore"

explanation of cpu voltage
-think of the lines as signals

+ = + = = + =

its easy to tell the +'s and ='s appart......jack up the clockspeed
now we have signals closer together AND more signals overall with the same amount of power.....meaning they are small and closer
+=+==+= .....now its a little more difficult

now if we raise the voltage the signals get stronger and thus easier to tell apart.

+=+==+=

temperature is important for 2 reasons
1) silicon melts at high enough temps
2) resistance rises with temperature. higher resistance means weaker signals for the same amount of voltage.

Last edited:
Themperature is a relitive measurement of heat. It is measure in degreese, mainly Celsius and Feirenhiet. Heat kills electronics. Dont believe me then take a lighter to any electrical component.

Barton is a name. In computers it is used to describe the generation of AMD (advanced micro devises) Athlon XP processors with 512k of L2 cache.

Transistors are made up of 3 very thin layers of silicon. One of these layers (middle layer?) conducts electricity when the transistor is "switched on", and it insulates when it's "switched off". At too high of a voltage, electricity can get through a transistor that is "switched off".

When a chip gets hotter, resistance increases, and so you must increase the voltage for the same speed. With the voltage increase comes a higher increase in temps. This is when better cooling becomes necesary.

9mmCensor said:
Themperature is a relitive measurement of heat. It is measure in degreese, mainly Celsius and Feirenhiet. Heat kills electronics. Dont believe me then take a lighter to any electrical component.

Barton is a name. In computers it is used to describe the generation of AMD (advanced micro devises) Athlon XP processors with 512k of L2 cache.

I think foxie knows all this, but wants to go deeper into the subject.

I can not beleive this..I say that I am tired of hearing all of this crap that everyone asks all day long and I answer day in and day out..and what do you guys do..you tell me more about it, but not really more, just more of what I already know..why do you do this to me? are you trying to get me mad?

is squeekygeek the only one with inteligence out of you?

And thank you, that little explanation of transistors was nice, but too bad it can't really be continued in a full out thread :p

oops sorry i miss read your post, i thought you wanted to know what 'barton' and 'temperature' ment, which i will admit thought was rather odd.

Foxie3a said:

is squeekygeek the only one with inteligence out of you?

the term is electromigration. By increasing the voltage you begin breaking down the actual substrates that build the transistors on the chip. After some point, they will break down until one of them stops working, at which point the chip becomes useless.

the point electromigration occurs depends on the architecture.

I was getting people warmed up if they had some interesting ideas, but never thought that they should talk about them..

Comments Edited:
RULE #1

1. Absolutely NO personal attacks will be tolerated, no exceptions!

Please take a moment and read the FORUM RULES

Silversinksam
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: An In-Depth Discussion on CPU Architecture

zabomb4163 said:
1) silicon melts at high enough temps

Technically yes, but a processor won't get hot enough to melt silicon under its own power. When you fry a CPU, the first thing to go is usually the solder pads that attach the die to the package. Those melt around 200-250C, much lower than the 1410C melting point of silicon.

zabomb4163 said:
the term is electromigration. By increasing the voltage you begin breaking down the actual substrates that build the transistors on the chip. After some point, they will break down until one of them stops working, at which point the chip becomes useless.

Electromigration occurs in the metal interconnects, not the transistors or the substrate.

yeah, those are nice and all, but won't start any discussions.

Re: Re: An In-Depth Discussion on CPU Architecture

zabomb4163 said:
2) resistance rises with temperature. higher resistance means weaker signals for the same amount of voltage.
Only with some materials. resistance lowers with rise in temperature in copper.

Gnufsh said:
And the switch to copper interconnects greatly reduced the effects of electromigration.

Here's a link about it anyway:
http://www.csl.mete.metu.edu.tr/Electromigration/emig.htm

Cool, isn't it?

intel's explanation of Electromigration
http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/q31998/articles/art_2.htm (page5)

Electromigration failures result from increased current
densities. The current generation of highly integrated
microprocessors, requiring dense interconnects and large
amounts of current, has highlighted the concern for metal
interconnect reliability. Formation of metal voids
induced by electromigration during normal
microprocessor operation will cause an interconnect open
or high resistance resulting in malfunction or speed
degradation.

Last edited:
Transistors are made up of 3 very thin layers of silicon. One of these layers (middle layer?) conducts electricity when the transistor is "switched on", and it insulates when it's "switched off". At too high of a voltage, electricity can get through a transistor that is "switched off".

When a chip gets hotter, resistance increases, and so you must increase the voltage for the same speed. With the voltage increase comes a higher increase in temps. This is when better cooling becomes necesary.
So that would mean that if you had the chip cool enough to greatly reduce inulation, then too high a vcore at any frequency would cause errors by letting the current through the transistors when they are closed?
Is squeakygeek the only out of you with intelligence?
Ermm, *EDIT* You sound like hitler ffs calm down, people give you their time to help you with what they believe to be good answers whether they tie in exactly with what YOU wanted or not doesnt really mean you can flame them.

You may do well to take your own advice. What I edited out is never acceptable in these forums.

LutaWicasa
Forums Moderator

Electromigration occurs during unidirectional current
stress but not during AC current stress. A design rule is
developed for AC signal lines, based on a maximum
Intel Technology Journal Q3’98
The Quality and Reliability of Intel’s Quarter Micron Process 8
allowable amount of resistive heating in the
interconnects

Bigdogbmx said:

So that would mean that if you had the chip cool enough to greatly reduce inulation, then too high a vcore at any frequency would cause errors by letting the current through the transistors when they are closed?

silicon and germanium have a negative temperature coefficient of resistance . meaning......resistance decreases with increasing temperature. our copper's resistance on the other hand increases with increasing temperature.

Combine these 2 facts and it becomes obvious why lower temperatures are better for processors.

lower temperatures mean our insulator is more effective and our copper has less resistance..... thus allowing for more voltage without errors. which is why phase change users are able to user higher voltages more effectively.

raising the voltage increases the risk signals pass through the insulator. combine this with lower resistance insulator and higher resistance copper and it becomes obvious why oc'ed systems cannot tolerate the high temperatures that a cpu at stock voltage will.

if you do not believe me. undervolt your processor then turn off your case fans. your processor will be stable at higher temperatures than it was with higher voltages.
*edited*

Last edited:
Back