• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get proper temperature readings for the A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L337 M33P

Currently there are different versions of the Asus A7N8X floating round, and each of these has different temperature monitoring setups.

Currently with the A7N8X the CPU on-board thermistor is "hidden" from both the BIOS and from PC Probe. Only by using the trusty Motherboard Monitor 5 will you get the Core Temperature, and it is far more reliable than the under-socket thermistor. In the latest BIOS version for rev 2.00 boards, the socket temperature is suspiciously high due to artificial BIOS tweaking due to complaints to Asus about the inaccuracy of the temp readings, probably because it didn't use the thermal diode in the CPU itself. The same is probably true of the older revision PCB models, with different BIOSes giving different results.

For MBM5 to be able to read the proper temperatures you must first have the latest version found Here - and after installing you must reboot.

For revisions 1.00 - 1.06 the Socket Temp is under Asus 2 and the board temperature is under Asus 1.

For Revisons 2.00+ the Socket temp is Asus 1 and the board Asus 2.

Don't use CUSL2, 3 or 4 unless you have a thermocouple attached to the "PWRtemp" 2-pin connector on the bottom of your motherboard. If you do have one select 3 or 4 to display the temperature of your thermocouple.

Now on to the CPU Die Diode thingy.
After rebooting go into the Settings and for a MBM sensor pick W83L785TS-S Diode - the option should appear now that you have rebooted. In most cases this is the CPU onboard diode but if this doesn't work, try the W83L785TS-S one.

To verify that the CPU diode works and the temperature being displayed is the right one, leave the computer idle for a few minutes and then hit it with Toast or Prime95 - if the sensor jumps up then that is the right one.

A few notes about it though:

Although the sensor is better at responding to changes and is probably more accurate, on my motherboard the value jumps around a lot under constant CPU load. My guess is just general glitchyness and I tell you just as a warning - don't rely totally on the diode or the socket thermistor.

There has to be some credit given for the info here - not all of it is mine.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16364 <-- an nForcersHQ FAQ, also a good read

mbm.livewiredev.com - thanks to the dedication of the support crew there they figured it for us :)

I had the old version of mbm5 with the patch, it's been working fine, but I'm gonna update to this version anyway. Good post for those who did know already :cool:

Last edited:
well I have the latest version installed. and I love the program.

BUT it shows the diode as being 9C in idle and 13C under full load. the starnge thing is that sometimes it just jumps up for 1 reading here and there and then triggers an alarm, coupled with shutdown-now. So it's getting to me a bit. i hav the 1005 Bios on a 2.00 board, and fried 1 bios so far, so I am not to eager to reflash with another older Bios to begin with, but the 1003 Bios on my previous board also had problems with the Wxxxxx-diode reading

Turn off instant shutdown when using this board =) - the readings ARE jumpy so unless you set the alarms very high chances are that the random fluctuation will trigger the alarm.

Have you tried using the non -Diode option? That might work. Unless you are running a waterchiller :cool:

Back