• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You'd be a damned fool not to use drive imaging software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
You'd be a damn fool not to use drive imaging software

I've been reading experienced members' posts here about how Windows Update messed up their system and they had to reinstall Windows from scratch. Having used drive imaging for years, it's nothing short of amazing to realize that only a hand full of people think this is a good idea.

Thinking how many *24-hour days* of time it saved me in the past two years alone, I would pay as much as the entire value of my computer system for it if I had to.

Powerquest Drive Image 2002 (nicer interface) or Norton Ghost are the single most important pieces of software. They use a start up floppy to backup your entire hard drive to multiple CDRs or as large files on another drive partition. This is particularly useful if you partition your hard drive (Powerquest Partition Magic is excellent for this) first, then install your operating system onto C drive and then all large Apps on other drives. You than backup the C drive which contains Windows (+maybe a few other small programs).

When (it will be when, not if) Windows breaks down or starts giving you errors, you replace your C drive with backed up version of it, and things are just as they used to be when you backed them up first. I also keep a txt file where I write changes and tweaks I made to the original installation, that way, when I reinstall from backup, I make those changes, than save on CDR's again and so on every few months.

Originally, it took me days to reinstall Windows and get things back the way I like them. It now takes minutes with the help of Drive Image 2002 or Norton Ghost. Just make sure you change location of Favorites, Desktop and Start Menu, (CUT and PASTE from C:\Windows will do) since they require more frequent backup, so if you have them on another drive, restoring C drive would not replace them. (+ Remember not to keep any documents on C drive.)

Every setting in every application is just the way you first set it. (Every menu size, every font size, every icon.) Registry backup is no substitute for organized quick C Drive backup/restore.

I defragment my drives and use ScanDisk but nothing makes my PC go faster than restoring a backup made just after I first setup things the way I prefer...

Last edited:
Imaging is definately a good way to keep your back ups. Now, having said that, i haven't used the software or done much backups to my system at all.

I originally bought a Sony Vaio for school work about 2 years ago. Recently i replaced the Processor, added a new graphics card, swapped cases and installed/un-installed tons of software, and even tweaked windows. So far, i haven't re-installed in 2 years and it still runnin great.

I just think with proper system upkeep you can keep your system healthy and running just fine for a long time. I defrag at least once or twice a week. Run ad/spyware removers. system clean up utilities. registry cleaners and defraggers at least once a month if not more often.

I even tried to nuke IE off my Win XP system and it didn't go so well. LOL but luckily i saved a registry setting before i did it and it's back to normal :D

However, i feel i'm pretty lucky and most people won't get that sorta good load. Imaging is pretty handy tool and i think it's overlooked, unless you like to install tons of software all day :)

After doing a install of windows making a disk image is the very next thing I do. I have lost count how many times I corrupted my OS from pushing my OC too far. System restore is nice but does not always repair the problem. Cloning your drive, or at least doing a ASR for XP should be considered a must do task.

Definatley a good piece of advice...I have been there a few times, but thanks to my drive image software I will never have to go back. ;)

Even if I don't keep current on my Norton Ghost images, I ALWAYS make a new image just before a major update like the recent SP4 for windows 2000 (also took that oportunity to upgrade windows media 7 to 9 and Netscape 7.0 to 7.1).

I also use it anytime I want to make a change in my hard drive arrangement, just save the images, rearrange my drives and then load the images back into the desired new disks or partitions.

Soltek used to ship Drive image (4.0, old version) with their mobos as a bundle.

The only time I had to reinstall was when doing any major changes from BIOS - enabling USB, or changing Power managemnts setup. Twice in two years.

A godsend. Still works for me (have to force compatibility mode in XP, but works fine, the new versions are too pricey for me) and is the best piece of software I have had the pleasure of using.

Once when installing 20 identical machines for a client, guuess what we used? Drive Image. One image, restored across 20 machines of the same config, and no further action required for reinstallation. Sweeteness.

I have ghost but never seem to use it (I do want to make one with my needed stuff and settings). I kind of like a clean install (gets rid of all those little programs and reg entris you don't need any more) and 99% of my data is on one of my USB drives

:eek:

You're up against 3GB worth of Windows + small apps + hours worth of specific program settings and looks being reinstalled in 1 minute and 52 seconds (for me) with Powerquest Drive Image.

It's faster to do that than to diagnose and solve even the remotest Windows problem let alone do a full Windows reinstall good routine or not. Heh.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you that the next time I do a format, I'm going to install Windows XP and Office right away, then do an image. This will let me do a clean install without having to convince microsoft that I actually DID change six components in my PC.:mad:

What I like to do... is before every reformat of my main drive. I use Maxblast from maxtor, easy and free program in a boot disk or CD and I clone my main drive to my backup drive. My backup drive is always just that an exact copy of my last hard drive before the format. And it always has room for any other storage. Like I keep a bunch of images of my game CD's, instead of using cracks, on my backup drive which is on one of my sata ports. So I use Alcohol to mount the images from the backup drive. So load times are faster and such because its reading of a hd from a different ide.

But the imaging software would make it easier to do formats and reinstalls. I will have to look into this... Good advice.

I use window xp's automated system recovery. same deal, just back up everything to a different partition and if something gets messed up I can load everything back to normal from the backup.

Great post. In fact, you've inspired me to reinstall this Thursday when I get my cable internet connection. I'll partition my drive, and use Ghost to accomplish the backup with my vital programs. Great advise.

I'm a little whacko about imaging:

1. Clean Windows install, set swap file to zero (saves space), defrag, make an image

2. Do all tweaks, defrag, make an image

3. Install chipset drivers, defrag, make an image

4. Install latest DirectX, defrag, make an image

5. Install latest video drivers, defrag, make an image

6. Install programs, defrag

The only real time consuming steps are 1 and 2, but I like to be able to choose where to restore an image from when new drivers come out.

I've never used Ghost. I use Drive Image from a floppy, and I really like it.

Back