• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Behind the curve, need a new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

As you can see from the rig in my sig, I'm way behind the curve. It was awesome in its day, but that was several years ago. So, I'm looking to build a new rig, budget is about $5-600.00 - I can scavenge HDD, PS, DVD, etc. from old rig, but need ideas/suggestions for Mobo, CPU, Video (I think I can figure out RAM w/o too much trouble and old PS is 650W so should be ok too).

The rig will be used for Gaming and photo/video editing. So, suggest away.:comp:

Hope you keep the case too.. makes things even easier..

200.00 Intel i5-750 (cheaper if you have a microcenter around)
140.00 GA-P55-UD3R
80.00 G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB DDR3-1600
165.00 ATI HD5770
-------
585.00 before shipping

OR (depending on your pref)
195.00 ATI HD4890
-------
615.00 before shipping

This would be pretty solid and probably a lil more speed in video editing than an AMD build

Thanks, yes, I'll keep the case, its a nice Lian-Li tower so its not going anywhere.

I had been looking at the video card you recommended already too and will likely go with it. I can get a bundle deal for ~$400 on the following as well:

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Model HDZ955FBGIBOX
OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

While its AMD and won't be as good on the photo/video editing, its overclockable and looks pretty solid - what do you think?

I like the i5 setup better personally...i5 even without the HT is still much faster at identical clock speeds (the same or a hair slower at stock) and just as overclockable as the AMD chip.

Cant go wrong with either, but if you can afford the extra coin (like you said you had the budget for) i5 would be my route personally.

+1 to getting the i5 if you can... it beats even the AMD Phenom II 965BE in pretty much every benchmark. Thats when its @ 2.66GHz... overclocked it's will absolutely destroy anything AMD can throw at it.

Ok, thanks guys, I'll be finalizing the budget and ordering stuff over x-mas (come on mom with the cash you promised :) )

Back