• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thideras's Scythe Orochi review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought this review was for pro cooling.
Well, yes, it was supposed to be, but I'm not going to say WHY. Let me say though, if I met them, they would be the first person I'd hit not in self defense :)

guys, any issues with the site let me know, i know it was taking some sporadic burps here and there after the review was posted

well like i said earlier, if you take both coolers use the same fan on each and find one cools better in this situation, its obviously a better cooler with said fan. but hey its not my review, and you do good work :thup:

i suspect if you use fanless or low speed fans, the orochi will perform better, while with high speed fans the TRUE will perform better.

well like i said earlier, if you take both coolers use the same fan on each and find one cools better in this situation, its obviously a better cooler with said fan. but hey its not my review, and you do good work :thup:
Well, then we are partially comparing the coolers. After seeing the numbers, it is pretty obvious that comparing them will be foolish. :)

well why not share the numbers and let people make their own conclusions rather than hoarding them? you did the work. and i for one would be interested in seeing them. even if you wont compare them directly, you can release them as an independent review of the TRUE.

well why not share the numbers and let people make their own conclusions rather than hoarding them? you did the work. and i for one would be interested in seeing them. even if you wont compare them directly, you can release them as an independent review of the TRUE.
Well, it was on my laptop and I'm not sure I have them since it died :-/

Basically, the Orochi did better with low speed fan (fanless, stock, YL low). They tied with YL medium. The TRUE did better with YL high and the 38mm delta. Exactly what I thought would happen.

Sorry about the lack of hard data. I'm not trying to "cover anything up"...I just don't have it...

I don't mean to necro this post, but the site was shutdown and I realized that I NEVER uploaded a review for you guys!! I'm very very sorry. I need to format the review then post it up!

I couldn't post it here since I didn't technically "own" the review, but I do now!

Wow was looking at the frosty tech review, just started thats a big MOFO :beer:

I keep getting some weird godaddy.com site for the link above myself.

Wow was looking at the frosty tech review, just started thats a big MOFO :beer:

I keep getting some weird godaddy.com site for the link above myself.
Ignore the link above, the site was shut down, I'm going to post it here :)

Click on any of the images to see the very large version.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silence and performance; the perfect combination. While it is very difficult to get both of those at the same time, Scythe has proven that it is very possible with other heatsinks. Their latest product, the Orochi, is their newest product that will attempt to push the limits of both silence and performance even more.

Thanks to the great people at Scythe and Jab-Tech, we have been sent a retail sample to test. You can find links to their sites here:

Scythe's Website

Jab-Tech's Website

TESTING METHODOLOGY:

I needed to find a consistent way to test heatsinks, removing as many variables as possible. Here is how I was able to do just that. Before we start, here is the system that all the tests were done on:

Bench system:
Intel QX9650
Asus P5K Premium
4gb G.Skill 1000mhz RAM
nVidia 8800GTS 512 (G92)
Corsair HX620W

The processor was kept at 400fsb and only the multiplier and voltage were modified; half multipliers were used. The processor is run starting at stock speeds (3.0GHz) and run up to 4.2GHz as long as the temperatures don’t exceed the “safety threshold”. If temperatures do reach the safety threshold (85 celcius), the test is aborted and NOT taken into account for the final results. Everything else was kept at stock speeds to reduce the heat output.

The thermal paste that was used is the Arctic Silver Ceramique. The main reason for using Ceramique is that it is easy to clean-up and apply. This keeps results from deviating due to the paste. The paste was applied like Arctic Silver suggests, a thin line across the two dies of the processor.

IMG_0080copy.jpg

I do at least three mounts per heatsink to reduce any inconsistencies caused by mounting or application of the thermal paste. I then compare all three tests and do more tests if they are needed.

It is hard to compare results that have ambient temperatures factored in. To remove them, I use the delta temperature; this is the difference between ambient (room temp) and the actual processor temperature. Using delta means that ambient temperature will NOT affect the tests. Taking this a step further, I bring in C/W. It is calculated by dividing delta by the wattage of the processor. This allows you to directly compare all results regardless of fans, heatsinks, processors or even wattage output!

The program that I use for our testing is called "Core Damage". This program runs a very small loop that is kept in L1 cache and produces the absolute highest heat output. It beats Prime, Orthos and even Intel's own TAT. You can find that program here:

http://damage.vigilantesoftware.com/

I used CoreTemp FOUND HERE to measure the temperatures from the processor; it is very precise.

Results will be not given ratings since there are too many fan configurations and other variables for the end user. I will never assign a heatsink a rating. Instead, I will encourage the end user to find how the heatsink would do for them with a specific wattage and fan configuration.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
This heatsink is absolutely massive. You need to measure to make sure that this will not block your video card(s) and that it will fit in your case. It is obvious that this cooler is meant for completely passive operation or low speed fans. Taking a closer look at the base, you will see 10 heatpipes (two rows of 5) that are stacked. I’m not sure how those will affect temperatures, but I’m not about to tear them out to find out!

Sockets:
The heatsink will fit on any processors for the following sockets:

Intel:
LGA775
Socket 478

AMD:
Socket AM2+
Socket AM2
Socket 940
Socket 939
Socket 754

Specifications:
Model Name: Orochi CPU Cooler
Model Number: SCORC-1000
Manufacturer: Scythe
Heatsink Size: 120 x 194 x 155 mm
4.7 x 7.6 x 6.1 inch
Weight: 1285 grams
2.84 pounds

GALLERY:

IMG_0001copy.jpg

IMG_0005copy.jpg

IMG_0007copy.jpg

IMG_0014copy.jpg

IMG_0017copy.jpg

IMG_0019copy.jpg

IMG_0023copy.jpg

IMG_0028copy.jpg

IMG_0039copy.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0044copy.jpg

IMG_0047copy.jpg

IMG_0048copy.jpg

IMG_0057copy.jpg

IMG_0137copy.jpg

IMG_0082copy.jpg

IMG_0117copy.jpg

As you can tell from the pictures, this is a substantially different heatsink that what you are used to seeing. The base isn't flat, it is slightly in a "U" shape. This allows more pressure to be applied to the core(s). As I said previously, this heatsink is VERY large, it blocks the first two slots (PCI-e 1x) on my motherboard; if I were to turn it 90 degrees, it does go over the memory, giving about 2 inches of clearance. In the last gallery picture, it looks like the heatsink is being twisted, it is not. The board warps surprisingly very little from the weight of the heatsink; I wouldn't want to hit it, but it surely isn't going anywhere.

INSTALLATION:

The Orochi (thankfully) does not use the stock Intel push pins to bolt it down. Instead, it uses two supports and a backplate. The backplate has foam that will go between the metal backplate and the motherboard to prevent shorting pins. I did not remove the wax paper from the foam so that I didn't have to scrape it from the motherboard during removal; you should have no issues doing the same thing. Removing the wax paper and sticking it to the back of the motherboard will ease installation since the backplate will not move around. If you do remove it, just peel it off like so:

IMG_0063copy.jpg

Then stick it on the back of the motherboard. If you remove wax paper, align it correctly FIRST as it is very sticky.

IMG_0064copy.jpg

Put the bracket on the reverse side of the motherboard, lining up the holes, and screw it down. You don't want to tighten them down too much as it makes installation of the heatsink difficult.

IMG_0074copy.jpg

I had issues with installing the heatsink. My P5K Premium has components that are close to the socket which prevented me from installing it any other way. Even when it wasn't hitting components, I had to put two thin washers under one bracket (one for each hole) so that it didn't crush my components. Please check to make sure that you have enough clearance BEFORE clipping the entire heatsink down. While I was able to work around it, it was a hindrance.

IMG_0078copy.jpg

IMG_0094copy.jpg

To install the heatsink, you simply hook one side and clip the other side down.

IMG_0085copy.jpg

In that picture above, you can see the washers that I used to make the heatsink mount, they look thick, but that is because the camera is very close to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the next page for results

Last edited:
Back