• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

280GTX finally arrives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My whole point was for the average joe, going to CF meant two new cards, a new motherboard, and a new psu.

Far more expensive then dropping in a 280 with basically same performance.

o yeah man i fully understand that and i fully agree. I here all over the place "omg the 4870's are like awesome and better than nvidia cards"

im like uhhh no.

Yeah I'm personally anti Sli and crossfire. I had 2 7900gt's in sli and in most games had problems with it. I had a performance boost but some games didn't. also one of the cards would overclock to INSAIN settings and i would get the same FPS with that one card overclocked to those settings as them stock settings in sli.

Now i know that i should not just lable sli and crossfire bad, cuase i know there better drives now of days and games that work great with 2 card configurations but i honestly don't want to wast me time with 2 cards. thats WAY more power being sucked up and Way more heat to worry about in your case.

Crossfire is fun, but it still isn't perfect. Some games won't have a performance increase while others will have a tremendous performance increase like Devil May Cry 4.

o yeah man i fully understand that and i fully agree. I here all over the place "omg the 4870's are like awesome and better than nvidia cards"

im like uhhh no.

Yeah I'm personally anti Sli and crossfire. I had 2 7900gt's in sli and in most games had problems with it. I had a performance boost but some games didn't. also one of the cards would overclock to INSAIN settings and i would get the same FPS with that one card overclocked to those settings as them stock settings in sli.

Now i know that i should not just lable sli and crossfire bad, cuase i know there better drives now of days and games that work great with 2 card configurations but i honestly don't want to wast me time with 2 cards. thats WAY more power being sucked up and Way more heat to worry about in your case.

I myself was highly ANTI SLI/CF. Single card, no dual gpu solution, person. Figured I'd finally give it a whirl, try it out and see what it was like with my CF solution. Little driver issues but seems to be solid all around. Definatly like the performance increase from them, and from at least reviews done on websites the 4850's do better in CF than the 4870's in more cases than not. More preformance increase from adding the second card that is, not more powerful than the 4870's in CF.

While the 280GTX does good, the 280GTX Rev B is going to take the cake IMO and should be the real solution to a good single card solution. 280GTX will hold its ground but the rev should make the card better all around with clock speeds and cooler.

theELVISCERATOR: When the new card comes out would you step up to that version if possible or just keep the current card?

I just bought an EVGA 9800GTX+ 8-5-08.

Will this 280GTX Rev B be out in time for me to step up?

I just bought an EVGA 9800GTX+ 8-5-08.

Will this 280GTX Rev B be out in time for me to step up?

well I'm guessing that the 280gtx B will be out sometime in September so say September 20th

is that less than 90days (i assume you have evga)

All notes are pointing tword September. So say at best early October for a good flow if they try pushing this out the door as quickly as possible.

damn i wish i could do the same for my 8800gtx :(

damn it. and i know that i wont get jack **** for it on ebay (being that most people thing anything from 8800gts G92 and higher is better :screwy:)

Well all the 4870 X2 benchmarks were done with the incorrect drivers (they were tested too early). Hopefully release reviews will paint a better picture.

I myself was highly ANTI SLI/CF. Single card, no dual gpu solution, person. Figured I'd finally give it a whirl, try it out and see what it was like with my CF solution. Little driver issues but seems to be solid all around. Definatly like the performance increase from them, and from at least reviews done on websites the 4850's do better in CF than the 4870's in more cases than not. More preformance increase from adding the second card that is, not more powerful than the 4870's in CF.

While the 280GTX does good, the 280GTX Rev B is going to take the cake IMO and should be the real solution to a good single card solution. 280GTX will hold its ground but the rev should make the card better all around with clock speeds and cooler.

theELVISCERATOR: When the new card comes out would you step up to that version if possible or just keep the current card?

I stepped up to this one.....from my GTS.

Steps are not able to BE stepped up, on and on...

So no, I will be running this baby for a while.

Maybe after Christmas, a 280x2?

I stepped up to this one.....from my GTS.

Steps are not able to BE stepped up, on and on...

So no, I will be running this baby for a while.

Maybe after Christmas, a 280x2?

i would sell this bad boy now so it wont drop 100 more bucks when the 280b comes out.

i wish i did the same thing for my 8800gtx that i have now. i got it for 480 new off newegg and maybe a few weeks later and everyone spazzing over the G92 core cards, i could probably not get more than 250 for it.

I can see the same thing happening to this 280gtx. When the 280b comes out

i would sell this bad boy now so it wont drop 100 more bucks when the 280b comes out.

i wish i did the same thing for my 8800gtx that i have now. i got it for 480 new off newegg and maybe a few weeks later and everyone spazzing over the G92 core cards, i could probably not get more than 250 for it.

I can see the same thing happening to this 280gtx. When the 280b comes out

The 8800GTX actually held its value decently even when the G92 chips came out. It was still in its own special league and still benifited from its increased bandwidth alot in some cases. Now well thats different and not sure where that card would sit in terms of price.

The 8800GTX actually held its value decently even when the G92 chips came out. It was still in its own special league and still benifited from its increased bandwidth alot in some cases. Now well thats different and not sure where that card would sit in terms of price.

well true it did hold its value but only after people realized what you have said. (that the memory bandwidth helps allot) one reason why i kept mine.

but didn't the value drop for the 8800gtx's RIGHT when the 8800gts G92 came out but then kinda went back up?

well true it did hold its value but only after people realized what you have said. (that the memory bandwidth helps allot) one reason why i kept mine.

but didn't the value drop for the 8800gtx's RIGHT when the 8800gts G92 came out but then kinda went back up?

Na it held its value and dropped slowely from what I remember. I was eyeing the 8800GTX originally, but wasn't dropping quick enough and went to a 8800GT.

to be honest, the 8800GTX does almost as well in SLI as the 9800GTX (standard, non OCed)...
try to get another 8800GTX and go SLI for a great speed bump.
(like, just shy of a GTX280 in speed)

BTW, here are my OCed vantage scores on my 9800GTX's in SLI, just for info only (at 3.0ghz on my Q6600)...
2653447893_57e21990e8_b.jpg

mica

im not going sli with my 8800gtx. Would have to get a different power supply being that i only have 2 12 volt rails and they are being used by the gtx i have now.

(well after thinking about it im going to have to get a new psu if i get a 280gtx.

Then 280gtx B better not have a 8 pin 12 volt rail or ill have to choke a ***** :bang head

damn i wish i could do the same for my 8800gtx :(

damn it. and i know that i wont get jack **** for it on ebay (being that most people thing anything from 8800gts G92 and higher is better :screwy:)

I got $225 for my 8800GTX on Ebay 2 weeks ago. That may or may not be what you consider jack****, but I was pleased with it. Especially since my Radeon 4870 was only $280. Nice upgrade for only $60.

Back