• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright 120 vs. Zalman 9700NT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImprtRcr

I thought this would be a good thread to share my results so people have a better idea of the two.

Both of these coolers work very well and both are a little on the spendy side from $30+ up to $60. But, there is a reason for it, they are the best air coolers on the market.

Paired up with a good thermal paste, you can not go wrong with either of these coolers, but, the Thermalright 120 takes the win in this comparison.

Results:

Zalman 9700NT 0% Load: 24/27c
Zalman 9700 NT 100% Load: 51/51c

Thermalright ULTRA-120A 0% Load: 22/24c
Thermalright ULTRA-120A 100% Load: 47/47c

Thermal Paste:
Tuniq TX-2

Ambient:
71f

Processor:
Intel E6700 @3.4GHz 1.505v

For the record, the fan on the Zalman is brand new and the fan used on the Thermalright ULTRA 120 was a new SilenX fan.

DSCF3890.jpg

The Zalman 100% Load picuture is supposed to read out 51c.

Zalman0Load.jpg

Zalman100Load.jpg

TRUE1200.jpg

TRUE120100Load.jpg

I hope this helps out!

Edit: Thermalright makes the ULTRA 120 Extreme as well which is the ULTRA 120 but with two extra heat pipes. It also weighs an extra 45g but the heatsink is not bigger. I am sure you might see a degree or two difference with it as well!

Last edited:
Thanks Shiggity :)

I have always used Zalman as my processor cooler and swore by them. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the TRUE 120 and I guess it's true, Thermalright reigns supreme!

No, I have not tryed to lap them yet. That's a whole new adventure :p

Is that the Extreme or the standard ULTRA 120? I can't tell if there are 6 heat pipes or not...

Everything looks nice but those SilenX fans do not do 90cfm @18dba. Just search SilenX here in the forums for some info on why they're snake oil.

I know some folks do not like the SilenX brand for apparent reasons, but, it moves air and it's quite. This is not a fan discussion anyway.

Last edited:
Back