• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Win GPU2 ***DISCUSSION***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Blake! Isn't that Kinda low for a 8800GTS? I think I remember that you need a SPECIFIC Driver at this moment for all GPU2 Folding.

I when I get my new card in today, I'll update my drivers and do a head to head comparison with vista and xp. Also, It might be low because I have the SMP folder going too. I'll shut it down and see what happens. BTW it's a G80 core 8800GTS.

EDIT: It seems like fahmon can't read it correctly anymore. I'm going to try and get it fixed.

Last edited:
I when I get my new card in today, I'll update my drivers and do a head to head comparison with vista and xp. Also, It might be low because I have the SMP folder going too. I'll shut it down and see what happens. BTW it's a G80 core 8800GTS.

EDIT: It seems like fahmon can't read it correctly anymore. I'm going to try and get it fixed.

Apparently only 177.35 driver is the one to use right now. If you are using the 64bit OS use the workaround in the OP.

It seems like the new GPU2 showing less than 5% CPU usage on my Q9450 with a 9600GT. I even bumped the priority to normal to make sure there wasn't something keeping it low. FahMon is showing 3386 PPD at the moment.

If these numbers are accurate, I'm really impressed at how little the CPU is being used to feed the GPU with data to crunch (of course this is only a 9600 GT).

I'm using driver version 177.35 (with a modified INF) on Vista 64-bit.

So has anyone tried running this on an SLI system with one client on each card?

I'm going to try it on my GX2 tonight. I don't know jack about folding. Dunno where to start even. I'm not interested in CPU folding, I shut the computer off when I'm not using it, but GPU folding, well, if I'm not playing a game at the time, why not?

Point me to where to get started and I'll run it in both multi-monitor and multi-GPU modes..

Driver link anyone?

There are 3 that I saw listed but could only find the 175s. (8800)

or are the others for different series cards?

I don’t mean to sound like an idiot… can someone post up a layman answer as to the output of these things?

I’m a bencher from across the street, but this folding with GPU’s has drawn my attention. Espe if it doesn’t use very many CPU cycles. My e8400 is on AIR cooling right now and with my deltas in push/pull it’s loud as fak. If I could fold on the GPU (after disabling SLi, which is fine.) I would be able to leave my PC on and still be able to sleep (after turning the fan speed down on the delta’s :) )

What kind of output does an 8800 have against say a quad @ 3.6GHz?

If the output from the GPU would be about the same or more I’ll rock it.

After installing 177 from 175 the squeal has gotten a little quieter, or changed in pitch. I can also run with multiple gpu enabled.

What kind of output does an 8800 have against say a quad @ 3.6GHz?

If the output from the GPU would be about the same or more I’ll rock it.

Check out the ppd threads around. People are getting around 5k with 8800gt with the 177 drivers (dependent on shader clocks). An overclocked quad with the dual vm trick to get regular work units is just under 4k. Running a quad with the regular smp client is a lowly 2-3k in comparison. Right now NV GPU is the hot ticket, and duck for cover when there is sli support! I just hope they keep the points more or less as is.

Last edited:
After installing 177 from 175 the squeal has gotten a little quieter, or changed in pitch. I can also run with multiple gpu enabled.

Check out the ppd threads around. People are getting around 5k with 8800gt with the 177 drivers.
mmhmm 5,300 on my 8800GT :Dscratch that actually 5,600 !

I've been completely neglecting this. I'll get something up in the bench thread in a day or two (or maybe 3) when I'm finished playing with LN2 :beer:

Back