• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EX38-DS4 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phu

1. Anyone knows why when I click on the "Turn off computer", the "Stand By" option is disabled? This is on XP

2. On the Abit IP35 Pro, I can set the fan speed according to the temperature of the CPU. How can we do this on this board?

Thanks.

If that gigabyte board has bios similar to p35 ds3r then you can not adjust fan speed in bios. I am not sure if speedfan supports it or not but in gigabyte's easy tune you set fan speed.

The stand by thing, I think some driver needs to installed or update.

About the stand by option: After I installed the driver for the video card, it shows up.

More questions:
Does anyone put any fans for the northbridge? If so, could you let me know which ones you are using?

Also does anyone know if it matters if we use PCI express slot 1 or 2 for the video card?

Both pci slots are 16x so it won't matter which you pick.

For fan, measure heatsink, it's either 40x40 or 50x50 fan. Fan is upto you as long dimentions agree and desired feature is obtained; noise, how much air it moves.

I picked up a ball bearing 50x50 fan for it, and it's great. :)
Do you happen to have a picture of how it is installed on your board? I think I'm going to get one of these and crank up the voltage a little more to see if it helps my OC.

No pics with me, but I can snap one at home tonight. This is the exact fan I purchased from NewEgg and it works perfectly. I used the included metal screws to wedge between the fins to hold it on -- works great.

I might have to do that too. When i have been playing a game, if i touch the heatsink, it nearly burns my finger :eek:

As for the standby thing, i have the problem too. It seems about all the X38 gigabyte boards do for some reason. Except mine will go into standby, but you can't wake it up :beer:

I guess I've never tried standby... Hmm...

Oh, and that fan I listed is loud if you plug it into 12v. I've got it connected to my fanbus controller and it's FAR more livable, and also cools more than sufficiently.

How did you get it on? Does the "Ultra Durable 2" plate slide off? or is it on the side were the cpu socket is?

I put it on that other side, so it's only blowing on half of that big honkin' sink. It does slightly overlap the UltraDurable plate last I recall, but only by a trivial amount.

I'll snap a pic tonight and post it up

Well I apologize, i was on the phone with Microsoft until after 9:00pm my time -- so by the time I got home, the only thing on my mind was some leftover lasagna from the fiance and a few Dos Equis ambers :beer:

Soooooo... I'll have to snap a picture when I go home tonight, so long as SCCM doesn't puke on me again today :p

Another question: I have RAID0 set up on this machine. When turning on the machine, it takes a long time to go through all of these bios info before I can see windows starting up. It takes A LOT LONGER than the Abit IP35 pro (I also have RAID0 set up here). Does anyone else see this or if you know how to speed this up?

I give it another try on RAID question: For those that have RAID, does your pc take a long time to get through the bios screens before you see windows starting up message? Mine seems to stay at the place where it detects the drives for RAID for a good 10 seconds.

I give it another try on RAID question: For those that have RAID, does your pc take a long time to get through the bios screens before you see windows starting up message? Mine seems to stay at the place where it detects the drives for RAID for a good 10 seconds.

Yes, and I have no idea if there's anyway to reduce that time.

Yes, and I have no idea if there's anyway to reduce that time.

Thanks. Well at least that confirms my board is OK. It's trange why it takes that long. I have RAID set up on Abit IP35 Pro too and it just zooms by that bios screen...

Well, an update on regarding a fan on the north bridge. I done it just a few minutes ago, the "Ultra"Durable 2" place snaps off, and here what i done.

DSCF2881.jpg

DSCF2888.jpg

DSCF2890.jpg

It might help me overclock now, i keep hitting a wall around 500FSB, and it seems to help adding voltage to the NB, but when i raise it above +0.25v is gets worse then better, I'm thinking it was overheating

Not to mention that if this heatsink uses thermal paste that i know the seal has been broken, is slides around at the slightest touch.

Hi Guys

Im using the F1 BIOS, has anybody lost saved BIOS profiles? Im not sure why but sometime after an overclock that didnt post it recivers the BIOS from the hard drive Image ??HUH?? reboots again and standard BIOS again with no saved profiles?

Anybody have this problem ?

Back