• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking e6750 on ASUS P5KPL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshbergs

Hello everyone,
This is my first post so be with my "beginner" termonologies and queries :)

Ok so I am new to all this overclocking business but I am eagar to get involoved. I was having a look at my current system that I built and I am running:

E6750
ASUS P5KPL
2x1GB Kingston RAM

After having a quick look at the BIOS, there is one option called overclocking profiles which gives you option of 5% overclock, 10% overclock and so on up to 30%. I have tried a few of these profiles and the only one I can get to work is the 5% because the next 2 alter my Internet Explorer and give funny messages like the page not not be displayed, and anything higher than 20% then the system crashes. Instead of the profiles option, there is also AUTO (which is the defualt) and MANUAL which allows some more options to be changed.

I had a quick look in manual but not sure what I should be changing and changing to etc.

I was hoping to get about 3.2Ghz or maybe 3.4Ghz if possible I'm just not sure how to do it so some help would be greatly apprecitated

You've got to do it manually dude, anything automatic sucks. just run stock volts to your ram like 2.0v and up your fsb to 400 for 3200mhz which your chip should do on stock voltage if its ddr-800, you wont even be OCing your ram.

Always set your ram and stuff up manually because your board is probably running it undervolted and loosely timed when set to auto. Set the timings to manufacturer suggested, probably something like 5-5-5-15. and make sure you lock your pci and pci-e frequency.

thanks for the quick response!
My RAM is 667mhz so i left it at 667 becuase otherwise the computer wont start. i says overclocking failed.
once i put the fsb to 400 then internet explorer pages wont load pages. it says page cannot be displayed.
also what frequency do i lock the pci and pci-e at?
cheers

thanks for the quick response!
My RAM is 667mhz so i left it at 667 becuase otherwise the computer wont start. i says overclocking failed.
once i put the fsb to 400 then internet explorer pages wont load pages. it says page cannot be displayed.
also what frequency do i lock the pci and pci-e at?
cheers

Pci=33mhz pci-e=100mhz.
Quick little table for you. your ram is ddr667 that means your ram runs at 333mhz(333x2=~667), so you have your fsb at 333, your processor has a max multiplier of 8. so 333x8=2664mhz. don't try to bump 400mhz out of your ram right out of the gate hehe, try babying it. like 340 then 345 then 350. I'm suprised your pc booted with budget kingston 667@800.

I don't think your memory will do 400fsb because its most likely budget kingston with big ole fatty timings. now what your really need is some decent ddr800 i think you should go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

one of those kits, its only $47, its the same stuff i use and mine goes to ddr950, it might go higher but i haven't pushed it. Your memory is definately your prob though. you're running at 333, you're going to need 375 for 3.0ghz. With that kit you should be able to do 3.4ghz easily. But its your money, you could try for about 350fsb for 2800mhz, but you should bite the bullet, get the ram and be happy at 3.2-3.6 IMHO.

Last edited:
your a legend dude. tomorrow im going out and buying some more new 800 RAM. I am probably going to buy 4GB, or would you reccomend me sticking with 2GB for the overclocking? I hope it makes no difference.

And do you think its safe to try and eaase it up to 3.6? Hope so!

Lastly, do you think it is the RAM that is f***ing up the network connection aswell?

Cheers buddy

Your NIC card may be running off the PCI or PCIe bus, and if you don't lock it then your PCI/PCIe clock may be increasing w/ your FSB increases. Too high, and it may stop working.

Post your BIOS settings, and we can help you possibly get to 3.6GHz when you get your new RAM. The RAM you have might allow you to go higher, but the only way to test it independently is to drop your multi, and use high memory dividers to isolate it, and see what it can do.

4GB is fine, but personally I'd just get 2x1GB sticks. I also would go for CAS4 stuff instead of the CAS5 recommended above. I'm partial to the Ballistix. They cost about the same after rebate, and are good performers. They OC to 1100-1200 easily.

Later on you can grab another 2x1GB set if you want 4GB. No need to get 2x2GB sticks as they don't OC as well, and there is really no reason for 8GB unless you're running a server.

your a legend dude. tomorrow im going out and buying some more new 800 RAM. I am probably going to buy 4GB, or would you reccomend me sticking with 2GB for the overclocking? I hope it makes no difference.

And do you think its safe to try and eaase it up to 3.6? Hope so!

Lastly, do you think it is the RAM that is f***ing up the network connection aswell?

Cheers buddy

idk about the network connection i think jason4207 got it right. You should be able to get 24/7 stable 3.6ghz. but after 3.4 or so i'm not really noticing a difference.

ok so i bought the new RAM and the computer runs fine.
In Manual mode there are three options you can change:

CPU FREQUENCY: which i put to 400mhz

DRAM FREQUENCY: Which cant be set at 800 cause the machine wont boot. I normallly leave it at auto

PCI EXPRESS FREQUENCY: when its set at 100 or 101 or 105 then the machine wont boot "overclock failed or overvolatge failed". to get the machine to boot, i have to leave that at auto for it to boot.

when i have the settings like this:
400mhz
auto
auto

the system boots, cpu is regestered at 3.2ghz or something but the network card still wont work. btw not sure if this helps but i have ehterent built into the motherboard and a Blue Orob FX Heat Sink and Fan for my processor.
anymore help?:)

You installed the drivers off the disk? it isn't a marvell nic is it? those things suck to get drivers for. Its not the marvel its a attlanic er something here they are
Vista: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/Attansic/AttansicL1_GigabitEthernet_V2477_vista.zip

xp/2k: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/Attansic/AttansicL1_GigabitEthernet_V2378.zip

Grats on your OC!! That 6750 prolly isnt even breaking a sweat, it really is a great processer. you should be ok to leave most of that stuff on auto. leave pcie on auto, maybe put in you dram timings and voltage in manually otherwise it may loosen the timings to OC but then again you aren't even OCing the ram.... yet(aint it great). What kinda temps are you getting and do you plan to go higher?

I got my 6750 to 3.6 on that G.Skill RAM alll day on stock voltage. At 3.2 GHz I was able to get the timings to 4-4-4-12. I love my new 6750 :))))

Z

hey guys!
well i cant put the cpu frquency anything over 400 or the machine craches with the blue screen in windows or wont even start at all.

also it is an Atheros PCI-E Ethernet controller or something THAT I CANNOT GET TO WORK WITH THE CPU Frequency is over 333 :confused: i tried reinsatlling the drivers but i dont no what is happening. I think it has something to do with the pci setting that we cant lock?...maybe? lol

also i hope to get 3.6 but it gives that same stupid error and woint boot. I think its perfectly safe to go that high because at 400mhz im only getting 25c ish lol....sometimes not even.:bang head

help!

ok so ive updated the bios but still the smae problem with the NIC. I am so confused and are unbale to see why its not working but I'm prerttey sure is the PCI Frequency, however whenever I lock that, my system wont boot.

I shouldnt have to change any voltages or anything should I because i havent done that.

Back