• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I regret to inform you...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberRad

Registered
Hi Team 32,

After receiving another $500+ power bill this month I am stopping production cold turkey. I wish you guys the best.

I hear you CyberRad. My bill was $340 up from a usual $140. I haven't stopped just yet but the thought has crossed my mind.

I was able to get away with the first one but now i'm not able to. It would be different if my renters would stop negging on thier payments.

If only our hardware and energy donations could be tax deductable as a charitable donation. Now that would be sweet :drool:

Good luck to you :beer:

Yeah, I know the feeling... I'm dreading ConEd's reassessment of my balanced payment plan in November. With the $350 "extra" bill I had in June I know it isn't going to be pleasant. As for the A/C, I turned the bedroom one off yesterday and that went OK so I turned the living room one off this morning--I've turned it back on, 5 machines running was just too much for the breeze I was getting. Maybe next week if it cools off a little more.

If only our hardware and energy donations could be tax deductable as a charitable donation. Now that would be sweet :drool:

Good luck to you :beer:

Absolutely. I'm a little surprised at how much energy even one p4 folding 24/7 makes. I think we're paying an extra 30 to 40 a month. I think of it as my regular charity donation... But the IRS disagrees!

Best to keep folding to a minimal during summer rates and then use it to heat your house during the winter...

Hate to hear that CyberRad... but we've all got to do what we've got to do.

Hope to see you back in the Winter months! :beer:

Lower that power bill - That's another reason to move away from the P4's - and towards the C2D's. Even the AMD dual-core's I had, used about one-third more power than their replacement E6700's - both running at stock (nearly), speeds.

I don't know how Harlam does it - must have stock in the electric company? :clap:

I'm seriously taken aback by those with multiple P4's though! OMG!! :cry:

A shame to see you go ... hopefully only temporarily.

Like others said , the heat will offset fall, winter and spring heating. Temps have been perfect around here the last week with the house nice and comfy from the farms heat. Its warming up a bit this week but not to where a/c will be running.

I don't know how Harlam does it - must have stock in the electric company? :clap:

Each of my DCs pulls ~200watts based on my readings from the APC monitor software. Draw at full load for that APC is just over 600watts, which supports three rigs.

Once we get back on the low rate (next month) the power bill will hopefully go sub-$200 again. Fact is... it gets really hot here in the summer and we have a decently large house to cool... and I like it cold! :beer: 72F if I have my way. :D

No A/C here, conviced my girlfriend we didn't need it :beer: more juice for folding!

Sorry to see you go man, hopefully is going to be a very brief and temporary thing.

~ Gos

No A/C here, conviced my girlfriend we didn't need it :beer: more juice for folding!

Sorry to see you go man, hopefully is going to be a very brief and temporary thing.

~ Gos

That's kinda easy to say in Oregon. I remember when I lived in Coos Bay, just open a window during the summer, and all was good. During the winter, close that window, and the computer kept the house nice and warm. Now I am in Arizona, and it seems to be a different story. 2 computers and a PS3 running 24/7 seem to keep the house at a nice warm temperature during the summer. It's a good thing I live in a place where all utilities are paid, otherwise I would be shutting down atleast the PS3 and one of the rigs regularly.

Sorry to see you going CR, I hope to see you back in the winter months. Just keep the furnace at a lower setting and let the rigs take care of the rest.

Sorry to see you going CR, I hope to see you back in the winter months. Just keep the furnace at a lower setting and let the rigs take care of the rest.

For reals, my Pentium D did a great job keeping my place warm last winter. FAH makes for a great winter heater, and in my case cheaper then running a traditional heater. :beer:

I hope to be back as soon as I get another tenet that will actually pay there rent. I'm not sure if having the rigs fold 24/7 in the winter will lower my oil bills or not. In theroy it might but the oil heat is all new to me. I'll have to try it out when it starts getting into oct/nov.

See you guys then.

BTW: I only have one p4 in the house. The other 4 rigs were at work sitting idle but I have since had to assign them to new employees.

Just a thought, if the AC running to compensate for the heat coming from your folding rigs is mostly what is driving up the bill. Then would water cooling all the rigs and placing the radiator outside make a big difference? You would basicly be transfering most of the heat outside. Then bring it inside during the winter to offset the heating bill.

Back