• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade MAME arcade kabinet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxio098ui

project: Homemade MAME arcade kabinet

Hello, this past week of my boring vacation I have been planning to build my own homemade arcade kabinet. The kabinet will be used to run games like NAMCO collections of a PURCHASED cd. the kabinet (kab) will also be used to play music, and if i can get it running to play on a playstation to play tekken and the sorts that whould be great. The kab will have a dedicated pc in it so i can run the mame emulator. because some roms need it and its handy because it is made for these kinds off systems.

The reason im building this is because there are no more arcades to be found and i really want to experiance the arcade like it should be. a keboard aint cutting it and i want to play two player arcade.
the place im putting this beast is here
Picture002.jpg
where the tv is, also that is the tv that is going to be used for the kab .
don't mind the mess, i used the pic cause i dont have a camera atm and i already had that photo

my sources are:
http://www.mamedev.org/
http://www.happcontrols.com
http://www.arcadeparadise.org/
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

here i have my plan of how to tackle this beast :

1: measure space and plan a prototype done
2: see what will have to be ordered and order
3: buy MDF and other materials for fabrication
4: buy a matrox g440 with tvout second hand
5: find tv done
6: build basic frame and construction, paint
7: when parts are in, fabricate control panel
8: finishing touches

Here are my prototype plans, keep in mind that these are totally early basic designs. the design is in scale and in the right dimensions

arcade2.jpg
arcade1.jpg
The holes just above where the screen is will be speakers.
arcade2-1.jpg
these are my improved sketches tis is really close to the final and only needs and inside frame for the tv which will be separate to the outside cab

feedback on the design is very welcome. also i whould like ideas for the artwork for the control panel and marquee. also i havent played on a machine since 1998 and whould like to know if people know how high it should be if it was real

Last edited:
The kab will never be complete without arcade buttons and joysticks.
so i will have to get these items from the internet, and probaly in america( i live in amsterdam) which is a bit annoying but can be overcome.

the list of components i have made contains all i think i will need.

I have decided to order from groovygamegear.com . simple reason being that it is 3 times cheaper than european importers and even tho it has 21 euro shipping to netherlands it is cheaper and has superior parts. now the second list contains the updated costs

1 CRT tv 66cm HAVE
20 Happs ultimate pushbuttons 39.30$ = 28 EURO
link
2 Player start buttons 4$ = 3 EURO link
2 happs super joystick (this may change) 30$ = 21 EURO link
1 I-PAC keyboard encoder 40$ = 29 EURO link
1 AGP matrox g440? video card w/ video-out 2nd hand 18 EURO = 24$ incl postage
link may not be actual card
2-3 MDF 244x180
loads of screws
Hole saw
a sheet or two of lexan or plexi

items from groovygamegear.com

2 competition joysticks (happ) 12 euro
approx 20 happ push buttons 18 euro
keywiz keyboard encoder (instead of ipac) 34 euros
throw in a few leds for 49c a piece and shipping combined is 79 euros = $107 usd

all prices are without shipping unless stated differently

This is my final control bill

1 x Pushbutton Nut Wrench (PBWRNCH01) = $2.00
6 x Green Horizontal Pushbutton - HAPP™ (PBGNHPLGHZ) = $8.10
7 x Red Horizontal Pushbutton - HAPP™ (PBRDHPLGHZ) = $9.45
7 x Yellow Horizontal Pushbutton - HAPP™ (PBYWHPLGHZ) = $9.45
1 x Player 2 Pushbutton (P2PB) = $1.59
1 x Player 1 Pushbutton (P1PB) = $1.59
1 x HAPP™ Super Arcade Joystick - RED (HAPPSPRRED) = $8.49
30 x Solar Yellow 3/4-inch T-Molding (TM34SOLYEL) = $12.00
1 x OMNI-Stik BASIC - BLACK (OMNIBBLACK) = $13.50
1 x HAPP™ Super Arcade Joystick - BLACK (HAPPSPRBLACK) = $8.49
1 x KeyWiz Max 1.5 (KWS00015) = $34.95
15 x Blue ButtonBlaster™ LED (BLUBBLED) = $7.35
7 x Black Horizontal Pushbutton - HAPP™ (PBBKHPLGHZ) = $9.45
1 x OMNI-Stik BASIC - RED (OMNIBRED) = $13.50
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $139.91
United States Postal Service (Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box (6 - 10 days)): $39.35
Total: $179.26

now i will explain a few of these parts im using.

1st. why use a tv and not a monitor?
i have my personal and practical reasons for this. my first reason is because i am placing the kab excactly where the te im using used to be, so instead of moving or throwing away the tv i can use it and save money.

my second is. finding a crt monitor close to 66cm = 26" is hard and if i do it will add to the budget serverely, also from reading alot ppl say that using a tv is much more authentic experiance than using a monitor. tv's are not the best according to alot of people, they say the original arcade monitor is best. i'm not going to go deeper on that but if you whould like to know why people think that look at this

my third is i like the easyness of hooking up the pc to the tv, instead of buying a special arcade videocard i can just buy a cheap card with tv out. in my excample the matrox card mentioned earlier in the list

2nd I-pac keyboard encoder. you connect all your arcade buttons and joysticks to this and this item takes your button presses and encodes them like they came from a key board .
Me myself am happy with this because what old mame kab makers had to hack a keyboard and solder all the switches to it, this item is specially made for kabs and features easy mounting and no soldering. to read more about this READ THIS

3rd. agp matrox video card. this is so i can hook my tv up to the pc. it has an tv out breakout cable, and its cheap secondhand

4th. plexi/ lexan. this is for infront of the tv and on the control panel it is to give it a finishing look aand is nice to see over the top of the control panel.

Last edited:
The pc i'm using will be my old AMD sempron setup that i have standing around, i might however upgrade the cpu to a xp2800 if i can find a old one.

SPECS: amd sempron 2800+
256 ddr ram
asus a7n-8x mobo
2x 13gb hard disks will be replaced
old crappy psu
new speakerset (undetermind at this point)

IMG_4618.jpg

the pc will be running windows xp pro and/or linux depending on compatability.
the pc will use the MAME 0.118 emulator FOUND ON THIS SITE
mame will be customized with mamewah to make it look better

I have customized my pc to make sure it dosen't look totally like a pc.
replaced the windows shell with mamewah meaning the pc dosen't even go into windows but straight into mamewah.

Last edited:
The reason i'm building my own homemade kabinet instead of buying an old one and gutting it + renovating it, is really simple. i dont have the transport.
and the only place close to here where i can get a used cab (that i know of ) is in rotterdam and that is not really close. Example of self made kab
frontright01_thumb.jpg
site
example of a convertion.
113_1330.JPG
site
also the cars i have at my disposal are a renault twingo and a volkswagen polo. not the biggest cars in the world. the kab's outside will be made of MDF because its easy to work with and its cheap. The frame will be made of 1x1 pieces of normal wood and 2x4 pieces of wood.

Last edited:
THE most important part in any arcade machine is the controlpanel, this is the reason to build this cab and it is quite cutomizable. have 0 to 8 buttons for each player 1 or two joysticks all kinds of admin buttons it should be there. i am going to try and keep it as simple an layout as i can.
The control panel will be constructed out of MDF the top surface will be covered in plexi/lexan to protect the wood and because it looks good. the panel will feature the classic STREET FIGHTER II layout, as in 2 joysticks + 6 game buttons for each player, 2 player start buttons, 2 insert coin buttons. the layout is still in a very early stage and all that is known is what is going in it, and the basic layout size is still undetermined and is one of the most thought about features ATM. all pushbuttons will be quality happs push buttons, which are in my opinion the best. this is a perfect example of the street fighter set up
1.JPG
i am not perfectly going to duplicate this but thats the base for my idea.

Last edited:
If you are going to use something like car speakers, you will need an amp to drive them. I have seen a couple people forget to add this into the cost of the cabinet.

It looks well designed from your sketches. Best of luck to you.

You're gonna need a powebrick for it too.

But if you use car speakers with a home amp make sure you run them parrell as running 8Ohm through 4Ohm isn;t nice :D

I've changed my mind on building it myself. ive bought a old cabinet all the way in rotterdam , it will be delivered friday. i have mixed feelings about it but ill weigh the pros and cons for you.

+pros/cons-
no building/less customized
coindoor incl/none
original monitor incl/none unless im using it (xtra video card needed)
cheaper(50€/78€ delivered)/vs. 120€+
spare joysticks/ none always good to have
more money for luxurys

there is one plus point on the joysticks, if they are dedicated 4 way i wil put one in the middle of my control panel for games like pac man. because playin those with a 8 way is ***.

O and just because i'm skipping one of the most difficult parts dont mean im done. i still have sexy arcade part pics to post and i have to customize the cab to crazy Max standards. neons!!. also i have to fabricate a custom control panel to make it bigger for street fighter controls.
and to make it a real pc project im mounting the mobo and computerparts straight to the cabb i will make drawings of this to post. friday is a definite update post .

Last edited:
You missed a pro off the list - sell the guts (mainboard etc)

I like the idea and would love to have my own arcade machine, but space is aproblem where I am, good luck with the build can't wait to see it finished.

IT CAME!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i was like waiting from 11 o'clock in tha morning and at 1-2 oçlock i heard a american v8 outside (knowing the company used one for deliveries) i jumped to the window and i was right.

a big wide rotterdammer stepped out and said "you ordered?" i was like "aye".
i live first floor and that thing is HEAVY i mean impossible HEAVY so wwhen it got upstairs my dad came back from the grocery shop. and me and my sis started stripping it to bare cabinet saving important things and chucking crap.
i was curious so i switched the power supply on (500W) and the lights lit up and the fan ran . i was happy stripped it now it is sitting where it is going to be sitting forever.

now PICS.

IMG_4605.jpg
this is the coindoor which will work but probaly on old money cause of holland swiching to euros. the little sign says it was built in 1991.
IMG_4606.jpg
this is the tinted glas which im very happy with, i think i will put on new artwork but that is all later.
SOMEHOW, the real cabinet pics are corupted and will be posted asap.

yeah but i cant wait till my mum finally gets on ebay with me so we can get parts . I'm also really hoping on finding a really cool marquee.
i hope tomorrow a friend of mine will come t help me with a shelf for the tv

i've finally been able to make non corrupted photos of the cab.

IMG_4614.jpg
this is the cab where it is going to be used
IMG_4613.jpg
this is it from the front
IMG_4615.jpg
this is the wood for the shelf for the TV.

I have also ordered parts from GROOVYGAMEGEAR.com and they will arrive in 6 to 10 days

That thing is in pretty good shape!! Nice find! :D

We've got a few of those cabinets at our arcade. :beer:

Back