• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Humidity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Project: Humidity-----Status: FINISHED!

Hey everyone,

I'm building my first watercooling loop, with a bong cooler, in the next few days. I thought I would make a fun project log out of it, since I'm very excited for it. It's also called project humidity, because it's probably going to make my room very humid, which will be one of the problems I need to deal with.

And the best part about this watercooling loop? It will cost UNDER $150, and outperform most, if not all, radiator-based high-end watercooling.

Here's what will be in it:
-Dtek Whitewater LE---Received from Dtek!
-Danger Den Maze4---Received from lilneel12, thanks!
-MasterKleer 7/16" tubing---Received from McMaster.com
-Via Aqua 1800---Received from Dr. Foster And Smith (online merchant)
-4'-5' bong cooler---BUILT! ~5'
-Distilled Water---Have 4 gal.

Via Aqua 1800-
I recieved the Via Aqua 1800 today and tested it in the sink, it was very quiet, no problems what so ever. I still need to figure out a way to hook it up with a filter, this is an open loop and I don't want anything screwing up my water. I bought the Via because it was $1 more, and had 100 more GPH than the 1300. Online it said it had 6ft. head, but the manual says it is ~7ft. head.

Maze4 for my 9800Pro (Flashed to XT)-
A classic waterblock is good condition :D

"Wye" attachement for bong
20' of Masterkleer-Not using all of it
3 gal. blue translucent bucket, smaller/lower profile than 5 gal, and see through to watch waterline
Lid

Last edited:
jcw122 said:
Project: Humidity

Hey everyone,

I'm building my first watercooling loop, with a bong cooler, in the next few days. I thought I would make a fun project log out of it, since I'm very excited for it. It's also called project humidity, because it's probably going to make my room very humid, which will be one of the problems I need to deal with.

And the best part about this watercooling loop? It will cost UNDER $150, and outperform most high-end watercooling.

Here's what will be in it:
-Dtek Whitewater LE---On the (slow) UPS truck
-Danger Den Maze4---Received from lilneel22, thanks!
-Via Aqua 1800---Received from Dr. Foster And Smith (online merchant)
-4'-5' bong cooler---still needs built, shower head still needed
-Distilled Water---Need to buy ~4-5 gal. of it still

I recieved the Via Aqua 1800 today and tested it in the sink, it was very quiet, no problems what so ever. I still need to figure out a way to hook it up with a filter, this is an open loop and I don't want anything screwing up my water.

Pics of parts coming tonight!

I knew someone would be complaining there was no immediate pics :D

I'll grab my camera and start now.

jcw122 said:
I knew someone would be complaining there was no immediate pics :D

I'll grab my camera and start now.

:p

Sorry, I'm impatient.

Pics up, that's all I have for now...except for the large 4" diameter PVC pipe for the bong, that's in my trunk.

jcw122 said:
Pics up, that's all I have for now...except for the large 4" diameter PVC pipe for the bong, that's in my trunk.

Good so far, keep the pics coming when your building it!

Im building one this summer I cant waite to compair the diff between my BIXIII and a 5 foot bong

||Console|| said:
Im building one this summer I cant waite to compair the diff between my BIXIII and a 5 foot bong

I'd be eager to see some comparisons between a radiator-based loop and a bong loop-and not just from a BIPI to a bong, I'm talking BIXIII as well :D

Should be pretty good differences. Depending on the bong size, you can cool multiple computers, they have insane capacity. You can also reach below-ambient temps.

jcw122 said:
Should be pretty good differences. Depending on the bong size, you can cool multiple computers, they have insane capacity. You can also reach below-ambient temps.
Thats what im hoping for =)

I'm happy to see more people are using bongs; they really are the absolute best cooling for the money. Hope yours goes well, but remember; the shower head is probably the single most important part, so don't skimp. Go for something like this or this, not this.

EDIT: With my bong, i was getting sub-30 degrees with a 3.6 c2d at 1.5vcore, and the whole thing cost less than 40 bucks

4od said:
I'm happy to see more people are using bongs; they really are the absolute best cooling for the money. Hope yours goes well, but remember; the shower head is probably the single most important part, so don't skimp. Go for something like this or this, not this.

EDIT: With my bong, i was getting sub-30 degrees with a 3.6 c2d at 1.5vcore, and the whole thing cost less than 40 bucks

Yeah I was thinking about showerheads that will shoot straight down. I'm just not sure if I can find one that is decently priced, or is small enough to fit into my 4" diameter PVC piping.

jcw122 said:
And the best part about this watercooling loop? It will cost UNDER $150, and outperform most, if not all, radiator-based high-end watercooling.

Ahem...my cpu's at 17C right now...using a radiator.
Okay, sure it's in the basement, but we'll settle for "Most" anyway. :D

Ya know you can make your own showerhead. It's not rocket science or anything, just a tiny drill in a pin-vice will do. That's all they do, and look what they charge for it!
I made one for my home-built humidifier that I made from parts left over when I decomissioned my bong (Michigan winters can be so dry).

The pump should have some sort of filter material included. You could use that. Thankfully the 1800 is a little more forgiving when it comes to debris than it's german designed cousins, the D5 and DDC.

Of course, thats a double edged sword as the antiblockage feature has been known to malfunction and cause a buzz; but with the shower head in action I doubt you'd notice.

Another way you could keep debris out of the loop is by keeping the outlet of the bong a couple inches from the bottom of the bucket. Most of the heavy stuff (if anything like that falls in) would sink to the bottom and away from the outlet.

@ Moto...The filter material looks like it's designed for larger debris, it's pretty large, not very fine filtered.

I can disable the anti-blockage feature if needed, there's a mod for the 1300 that should work the same.

Can't really raise the intake from the bong. The 1800 is a submersible pump, and that's exactly how I'm using it. I guess I could raise it off the bottom of the bucket slighly, though.

@ Diggrr...You have to at least admit that bongs (again depending on size) hav a much higher capacity and cooling ability than radiators. Bongs, as I'm sure you know, can cool multiple computers if you want. I'm not sure the conditions your radiator are in can be compared to the conditions my bong are in. I'm sure you already know this though, since you said you had a bong before. Just because their in different conditions though doesn't change their cooling abilities, the environments change their max. cooling abilities. I'm sure my 2nd floor room isn't as cold as your basement. I also do not know what kind of CPU you are running, or what voltage, or even if your watching your temperature straight from the core, which is now possible on A64's with one of The Coolest's programs.

Dtek Whitewater LE arrived!
The bottom has some tarnishing...I'm guessing it can be removed with vinegar?
METAL TOP! Chrome-plated copper.

tyler_bishop said:
I never figured out why it had 3 pipe mounts.. one way or another less or more water is going in or out lol... I'm sure it has a point..

More coverage while being symmectrical.

jcw122 said:
Dtek Whitewater LE arrived!
The bottom has some tarnishing...I'm guessing it can be removed with vinegar?
if that doesnt work, I'd personally just lap it, take only a couple minutes for me, since I've lapped so many HS's.

Back