• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Own an 8800 and hate ntune? Coolbits returns!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, first of all MANY MANY Thanks to our very own ViperJohn for bringing this to my attention - you rock :attn:

Right then, iv been reading around online and it seems im not alone in my dislike for the new nvidia 8800 series driver layout (which imo is clunky and akward), which to cap it off wont let you go back to classic mode - AND its stupid insistence that if you want to overclock or monitor your temperatures you have to install ntune...which in itself is another clunky app which installs extra services to run on your pc..... all in all, it feels a bit unneccesary just for temps and a few sliders....

So, the fix, courtesy of ViperJohn, myself and a bit of experimenting with my 8800gts :)

Firstly - to restore the nvidia drivers to the classic control panel simply:

ViperJohn said:
Open NotePad then copy and paste the following into a text document and then save it with
a "NV Classic CP.reg" file extention. Use the quotes when you save or Notepad will add a
.txt extension onto the file which you do not want.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Coolbits file
; Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies]
"SedonaDisable"=dword:00000001
"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000001

After saving right click the NV Classic CP.reg file you created to merge it into the registry and
bingo you have the good old Classic (and useable) CP back.

Bingo! The classic panel is back with a vengance.

Now this got me thinking, if the classic panel now works again, maybe coolbits will too? So I download coolbits2...install and presto - Nvidia drivers now have FULL temperature monitoring AND the ability to overclock again...complete with coolbits sliders for core and memory :D

Iv been trying it out and the clocking and temp monitor both work perfectly - no ntune needed and drivers that are easy to navigate!

So there you go 8xxx series users - get the classic control panel back and use coolbits again!

AAaawwwee YEAH! Thanks brutha! I despise the new NV drivers. Actually I have seen a rather large petition (cant' remember where) several thousand petitioners who all hate the new NV driver motif, too bad NV hasn't' caught that.

Grrrr....

EDIT: Clean driver un/re install cleaned that up, but I don't see 8xMSAA or any of the CSAA options (enhance the...). I kind of liked the 8xQ. :(

Last edited:
Hate CCC all you want, nTune is alot worse. Good job vrykyl, too bad it doesn't give all the driver options like Jod mentioned.

any remedy for this in vista, in vista ntune really is the only thing for fan speed, OCing dont work yet, and neither does riva.

nope - had it confirmed, this doesnt work in vista...price of progress it would seem...

So my colleague picked up an EVGA board along w/ an 88. He's playing around w/ VNC @ work and all I hear is "Blah, blah, blah...ntune kicks so much a$$..."

Jod: Yeah? What's that stress test all about?
The Unnamed: It's pretty sweet, watch...

*click*

The Unnamed: I think I lost connectivity w/ VNC...
Jod: *chuckling* :p

Sweeeet news ...gonna had to try this out ! :attn:

Although RivaTuner has been working great for me with the 97.92's , this would be a nice welcome addition back to the good old norm of the classic Nv panel .

Thx for the heads up. ;)

Rattle said:
coolbits and riva wont jive together on the 8800's

Yeh I know , its one or the other only ; but atleast I have a choice now . :D

Well, I already went back to the new panel. After killing the silly left side and configuring the custom view the way ya like, it's not too bad. Got my new AA modes back too. :D

Jod said:
Well, I already went back to the new panel. After killing the silly left side and configuring the custom view the way ya like, it's not too bad. Got my new AA modes back too. :D

Ok I must be missing something. All I've done is install the drivers not nTune but I don't see the new AA modes at all, only 2x, 2xQ and 4x. Do I need nTune for those? I've got an 8800GTS.

no you need the new control panel for those, if you revert to the old panel via the registry edit you only have 4x AA, nvidia is ****ing me off more and more these days I wish the r600 would come out.

Yea but I don't even see them in any 'new' control panel. Using either the tray icon or display properties to adjust settings.

And is nTune the only way to adjust fan speeds? I have ATiTool atm and v 0.26 doesn't have any fan controls and my GPU temps get over 80C.

*edit* Well, I used RivaTuner to set the 2D/3D clocks and have it set up to always run the fan at 80% which is still quiet. But my GPU temps still max over 80C :-/ I'm pretty sure I set it up right to automatically apply on each boot, I'll test that out with 100% fan because it is audible.

Last edited:
Back