• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evils case mod of awsomeness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil_inc

Well I picked this case out of a dumpster at my school and cut the fan holes out about two months ago. That build log is stuck in dfi-street so I will just continue it here until dfi realizes their mistake.

DSCF0166.jpg

I threw in the tricool fans and the lg light on dvd burner yesterday and put my current rig in the case. and yes that is duct tape.

I didn't have a long enough ide cable and everywhere near me was out of stock so I took two old cables and spliced them together, something I didn't think would work but did.

I will hopefully finish this off over the weekend as I am a procrastinator.

lol that too. Its going to be used at a robitics competition in 2 months so I hope it will be rid of ghettoness and full of awsomeness by then.

Quite the mod :)

And DFI isn't going to realize any mistake. They have already setup RGone with a new site. However, Happy_Games is going to reopen DFI-Street with all posts, etc in tact. (at least according to all that I have read on the situation.)

DUUUUDEE!!!!!!
Who told you to dumpster dive behind school?? Where am i gona find spare parts now.

OMFG you suck lol!!!!! Thats our school's old file server!!!!! I think that was... either Quagmire or Cleevland when it was running our network with server 2003. How'd you get it?? Were you able to keep all the drives? And what hardware is running in it?? Are you using that for your main desktop?? Holly cow man, I'm glad you saved it. Dont you dare throw it away or destroy it though... too much history on that rig to do that.

If you want to toss it... I'll give you my old Lian Li PC 65-B and take that one off your hands.

lol I was wondering what the case was originaly for.

When I found it it was gutted except for the mainboard and the front pannel. The Hardware in it is what is in my sig for now. I could bring the front pannel on friday if you want lol.

Evil_inc said:
lol I was wondering what the case was originaly for.

When I found it it was gutted except for the mainboard and the front pannel. The Hardware in it is what is in my sig for now. I could bring the front pannel on friday if you want lol.

Hey Evil, don't let 'em break your stones. I like it, duct tape and all! :thup: :D

Dumpster Diving at schools, high-schools and colleges is awesome!

I've grabbed tons of old P-II and P-III computers and desktops, supposably broken... but I got most of them to work just fine, the rest, I scrapped for parts and threw what did not work back in. :sn: I got lots of ATX cases, I sold them off to people I know as "spares" for 5$.
I hear my old High School will be throwing out a ton of old server hardware, 20 and 40 port 10/100 switches, several Dual P-III servers, tons of CAT4. For when they upgrade to newer everything.
Normally IBM takes back most of the hardware for discounts, but they just throw out most of it because it's worthless to them unless it's in perfect working order and is not that old.

It does scare me though... all of these computers... full of personal information.
They don't even bother durning off the most sensitive of data.
I burn all the drives I pick up, so I don't have to worry about the "possible issues" of knowing everything about 1000's of people.

G-H-E-T-T-O _ M-O-D-D-I-N-G FTW :attn:

When that case was in the server closet back at my old high school... It only had the front panel.
Never when i was there did it have side panels... and i doubt there was a top.

I always thought the drive mountings above the PSU was interesting... And given how open the bottom / front of the case is... It would be an excellent case to experiment with water cooling on. You may even be able to use some of my WC hardware given that i wont be able to use it myself for at least the better part of a year.

How are you planning to make it awesome?? Paint? Side panels may be hard to come by, as well as difficult to make... I couldn't tell you the brand of case... But i think adam (works at Lazarus) or beardsly might know. I believe they were the ones who origionaly built it for the school.

I was going to make side pannels and a front and top. adhere a metal mesh to the pannels for a texture and spray it gloss black. The Front fans may be the turbine ones the egg carries or just plain blue ones. The side pannels, which may look like this:
DSCF0141.jpg
will hopefully be mounted on sliding brackets. And for the front pannel there would be toggle switches for each fan w/ indicator light and a toggle switch with a cover on it to clear cmos during future ocing.

What are the dementions of your heatercores?

The heater cores are basically 2x 120. You should be able to clear that in the front. My blocks and fittings can go as well.

Finaly -- someone from AHS with decent modding skills / ideas other than me :D

Talked to shorty, the rigs old network name was "Quagmire". -- damn, he beat me to it.
In honor of the case's storied past I mandate that you put this phrase on it som place.
"Who else but Quagmire?"

Evil_inc said:
lol that too. Its going to be used at a robitics competition in 2 months so I hope it will be rid of ghettoness and full of awsomeness by then.
FIRST by any chance?

lol at the spliced ide cable. I'm very surprised that worked!

AHS? annapolis?

That case has some potential. I hope to see some sweet liquid cooling going on soon.

Back