• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #51

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 51th in the series of T32 Spotlights!! I'll try my best to keep this Spotlight as regular post as possible as long as the nominations keep coming in!! So, keep sending me the nomination guys/gals!!!

For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

vonkaar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
Well, I posted in the appropriate thread, so the exact date was easy. Apparently... It was May 19, 2003.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
I was supposed to go camping several weeks ago, but it started pouring down rain... so we drove 13 hours to Graceland. It's one reason why my gf and I are so compatible... the spontaneity is awesome. We had a blast and so did Elvis.

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
EOC

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
I live in the suburbs of Fort Worth, Texas.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
I was new to the OC forums and I kept hearing people mention it... like it was this ethical thing to do. I saw posts where someone would talk about P2P or some other type of application in which their computer would be on all day... and someone else would chime in with, "you should be folding!!" I saw posts like that all over the place... I thought that if I didn't fold, I would never fit in... people would hate me... my nose would fall off... baby orphans would have a depressing, lonely Christmas... all because I didn't "fold." Whatever that was...

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
I've always maintained that I fold for the chicks. I also love a good taunt thread, but people seem to be in love with one another lately. Even my nemesis Nahmus and his sidekick Mustanley have backed down from my latest attempts at mockery. :(

What do you do for a living?
I have a great job actually... really enjoy what I do. I'm still trying to get my title changed, but... unofficially, I'm listed in the company directory as "Information Technology Lord and Master. The Alpha and Omega of All things Binary." I'm shooting for something simpler. Maybe just, "The King." Anyway... my EMPLOYER is the number one Japanese Animation licesning company in the USA. We are the company who brought popular anime like Full Metal Alchemist, DragonBall-Z, Samurai 7, YuYu Hakusho, Desert Punk, Blue Gender, Negima, Trinity Blood, Burst Angel, Basilisk and many many others to the United States. I'm responsible for designing their new network infrastructure and setting new and improved I.T. policies for a bulletproof future. Also, I make the coffee.

What do you do for fun?
I'm an avid sailor, I recently got my girlfriend into the sport. I love to travel... I haven't had a real vacation in many years, but I 'used' to go everywhere... Europe, Canada, Mexico... even Oklahoma! I play league volleyball all year round... I love to golf... hmm... I love live music... shrug... I consider myself pretty active, even though I'm filling out a survey at 1:30AM for my fellow distributed-computing/overclocking e-friends ;).

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
I really really enjoy a special, special glass of scotch. It has to be SPECIAL though.

Otherwise, I think my sailing fetish is a bit different than most people my age.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
I guess the most powerful borg I have is a dual woodcrest system. I *think* the board I used was a Supermicro X7DB3. The processors are Xeon 5160s. It has 8Gb of RAM. The storage is controlled by an Areca1230 with 12x Seagate 7200.10 320Gb drives in RAID6. It is designed for HD encoding and folds for about 16 hours out of every day. My home system is much less impressive... Pentium-D 945, 2Gb RAM, 4x Seagate 7200.10 320Gb drives in RAID0 and an EVGA 7900. It's folding 24x7. All of the other borgs are all over the place... they range from P3-733Mhz to the Cadillac I described above. I *should* have a lot more coming online before the holidays... need to keep 7horn off my ***.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
I built one, a long time ago... but Wedo and Niks stole my designs so I trashed the whole thing. I still have a picture of it... let's see...

pc-farm.jpg

Trip down memory lane... here

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
End the suffrage of women.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
You are all amazing... let's keep those magazine rats off our backs and keep borging more and more. 40k isn't *that* big of a mountain to climb... We just need to find a few more 'sweet' deals in the mass borgs.

As a side note, if you have any pics (in jpg format for the dial-suck users) of things like your hobbies, computer(s), yourself, etc....

I lost the password to my website... it's late and I'm too lazy to get it reset, otherwise I'd just host this myself. If you want to post the picture I have on myspace... the one I titled, "The rat on the river," that'd be cool.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=37388137&imageID=448688155

Thanks for the survey, it was fun ^_^.

Haha, nice to meet ya vonkaar. Great sense of humor!

With a title like "Information Technology Lord and Master. The Alpha and Omega of All things Binary" the coffee making is a huge responsibility. :D

Glad to meet a Vonkaar!!!

I like the title you hold over at funimation, glad to see corperations with a sense of humor. But can you tell them blue gender made absolutley no sense? And can you tell me why i cant find desert punk?? That was hilarious.

Nice to meet you all =)

Sleepy_Steve, I can ask about Desert Punk... were you talking about local stores in your area or online vendors? I know there are several places online where you can get it np. It's a great show... one of my absolute faves.

LOL, maybe i just dont know where the right stores are in the DC area, but i tend to think the DC area will have anything if you look hard enough. I have a feeling i could get it online form amazon though.

I just talked to one of the home video people and she said that off the top of her head, your best bets are FYE, Best Buy and Suncoast. If you've looked there and haven't seen anything, let me know and she'll look it up and get more specific.

Dude... you work at funimation?

can ya get me a job there? I know dial-up really well.... i do tech support for a dial-up company here in WV... i wouldn't mind moving to wherever to work for funimation.... ANIME!!!! MUST HAVE JAPANESE STUFF NO MATTER WHAT MY WIFE'S PROTESTATIONS!

:beer:

Back