• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GTO Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

7900GTO Thread (Flash + Vmod instructions here)

Well, the review thread is getting a bit hijacked, so I thought it'd be better to make another thread were we can post our OC results, questions, and so forth. So please post your OC (stable), and any other relevant information, voltmods, BIOS, Brand, etc, so I can make a neat list.

7900GTO OCing results:

User----------Brand----------Clocks------------Voltage---------------Cooling------BIOS
Dan0512-----MSI-------------715/850----------stock/1.94----------stock--------7900GTX
Crimedog----***-------------720/840----------stock-----------------H20----------***
Nandro------***--------------725/825----------stock/??--------------***----------***
stereo555---EVGA-----------702/770-----------***------------------stock--------stock
reboot--------EVGA-----------707/805----------stock----------------stock--------stock
xSeongminx--***------------725/890-----------***------------------***---------stock
wundi---------MSI-------------690/860-----------***------------------***----------7900GTX
Neural Net---MSI-------------729/756-----------***------------------***----------***
electronpn---MSI-------------690/800-----------***------------------***----------7900GTX
tam------------MSI-------------703/732-----------***------------------***----------***
Raptord--------MSI-----------690/800-----------***------------------***-----------***
WolfeR---------EVGA----------720/880-----------***------------------***----------7900GTX
[SC]Ceasar---***-----------693/729-----------***------------------***-----------***
***=not specified; ?= V-mod present, voltage not specified

Calculated average OC: 708.47 / 810.71

So that's pretty much the frequency to expect if you get a card, but remember that YRMV.

BIOS Files-If you want to flash to GTX
NVFlash-Program to flash Nvidia cards
Nibitor-Program to edit BIOS

I've attached a zip file that contains everything you need to flash your card as well!

7900GTO Memory Voltmod guide

Ok, you'll be working on the backside of your 7900. The blue square shows which part of the card the lower photo corresponds to, same perspective of course. You'll be penciling the resistor circled in red, and the spot marked in blue is explained in the next paragraph. (this is my card BTW):

79002.jpg

Circled in red is the resistor Q511. It has a resistance of 1000 Ohms, which corresponds to a voltage of around ~1.81. To raise the voltage, you have to lower it's resistance with a pencil. According to my results, following resistances will yield the following respective voltages (scroll under pic):

closeup2.jpg

To measure the voltage, you have to contact the end of the resistor circled in blue. Positive lead on the resistor, and negative on ground (case for example). This has to be done while the PC is running of course.

Resistance (in Ohms).........Voltage

Remember that those are my results... and I do NOT know if they apply for every single GTO card out there. Be cautios, lower the resistance on small steps... and measure the voltage each time you lower it.

I was told that the resistance in the 7900gtx is 560 Ohms for 2.15v, but I don't think that's accurate since the voltage seems to increase in .01v increments as one lowers the resistance by 10 Ohms. If that pattern were to apply up to 560ohm... then I think you'd end up with way more than 2.15v.

That resistor is very small, so you need a steady hand to work on it. IMO it was easier for me using a harder pencil, since I could apply more pressure and have a smaller point. For my mod, I used a 3H pencil.

7900GTO GPU Voltmod guide:

Well, this section is sadly empty since to date I haven't been able to find any concrete information on a safe way to voltmod the GPU.

I've gathered though some important information, and that is, that basically like for the GTX, there is no way to increase the voltage with a pencil, one has to do it by means of a soldering iron and some resistances.

Some of you might ask why I just don't assume the GPU voltmod for the GTO is the exact same one of the GTX. The answer is, we're dealing with some expensive hardware here, and I don't like assumptions when it comes to modding very expensive hardware. The mod itself is very complicated for most hobby pencil modders out there.

If you still want to try the GTX mod, I suggest you head over to vr-zone.com, you should find a good GPU 7900gtx voltmod article there.

And, if you have any information regarding a pencil GPU mod, or another mod that has been confirmed for the GTO as well, please share your knowledge with all of us.

Setting fan speed

If you're having trouble setting the fan speed, read the following post (please don't read the text, just pay attention to the images)

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5085073&postcount=6

Dan

Attachments

• Flash pack.zip
    404.6 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
I have mine running at a nice stable 700/800 right now although I did clock it up to 725/830 for testing. I honestly think my MB dosent allow me to OC anything as well as it could on a good board which will be my next aquisition as soon as I can get this stupid tree to grow money instead of grapefruits.

well, I am kind of cpu bound. Last run I did for my own comparison I got 24,764 in 3d03 and 10,026 in 3d05. I dont bother with 3d06 because my cpu is not good in that benchmark and when it gets to the cou part it takes a month to finish, unless there are certain tests I should run in 06

Just to be on the bright side, my wife is letting me keep the money from the sale of my 7800GTX, so hopefully I am on my way towards a conroe. I have plenty of time as I want to see what the NV MB's look like on Nov 7th, but if I find a good deal, I'll be on it.

mr. roboto said:
Can you guys put up your 3dmarks too? I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to sell mt 7900GT KO for one of these.

I got 10700 in 3dmark '05, not tweaked.

dan

As in stock gto speed? Mine was done at 700/800. I have kept track of all the scores of all my cards in a book. I know that my A3200+ system that I traded for the Intel system would crush it in 3dmark scores, but the video card in the trade is what made it happen. He got a 6800NU and I got a 7800GTX. I figured the D805 would hold me over, but I get frustrated with it even though its dual core. I at least need a better MB.

Nandro said:
As in stock gto speed? Mine was done at 700/800. I have kept track of all the scores of all my cards in a book. I know that my A3200+ system that I traded for the Intel system would crush it in 3dmark scores, but the video card in the trade is what made it happen. He got a 6800NU and I got a 7800GTX. I figured the D805 would hold me over, but I get frustrated with it even though its dual core. I at least need a better MB.

Nope, 722/800. Lol, I'd be drinking if that was stock:D

BTW, can post the information (brand, voltage, etc) so I can update the first post?

dan

Last edited:
What drivers are y'all using? I started off with the 9.1's that evga recommends but I switched to 9.5's because I read that there was a slight improvement in IQ. The new drivers detect is as a 7900GT though... frame rates are nearly identical (just slightly slower)

ProBoner said:
What drivers are y'all using? I started off with the 9.1's that evga recommends but I switched to 9.5's because I read that there was a slight improvement in IQ. The new drivers detect is as a 7900GT though... frame rates are nearly identical (just slightly slower)

I have the 91.47's, and they detect it as a GT/GTO....

dan

I just installed the 92.91 drivers and gained a few points on my scores. Nothing to write about, like 150 onions on 3d03, then again, it could have just been a cooler run. I have seen scores vary a few hunderd points at the same settings.

Also, when you guys are giving your clocks, when you say 800, it's really 1600 effective right? So basically, all you guys are achieving 7900GTX speeds out of the box without any mods?

Also, even at stock speed, the 7900 GTO is definatley better than my 7900gt, right?

If that's true, it's hard to believe that evga actually is charging more for the 7900gt. I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell my 7900GT or not for one of these bad boys.

OK, one more question, is the 7900GTO louder than my 7900GT KO?

Thanks guys.

mr. roboto said:
Also, when you guys are giving your clocks, when you say 800, it's really 1600 effective right? So basically, all you guys are achieving 7900GTX speeds out of the box without any mods?

Yup, 800=1600....no mods:beer:

Also, even at stock speed, the 7900 GTO is definatley better than my 7900gt, right?

I'm quite sure it is.

If that's true, it's hard to believe that evga actually is charging more for the 7900gt. I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell my 7900GT or not for one of these bad boys.

That's the crazy thing about these cards. They are cheaper than the 7950gt cards, yet they perform much better than them.

OK, one more question, is the 7900GTO louder than my 7900GT KO?

Well, the 7900GTO comes with the big 7900GTX cooler, which kicks ***... it's just as silent as my old Arctic Silencer 5.

dan

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

The reason they are selling them cheap is they want to not see long threads about them or reviews, they want them to dissapear. Weather its getting rid of old stock or under performers, its a limited amount and they want them gone. Notice in any review you dont see them mentioned, you dont see holy cow deal of the decade! articles. NV wants to keep this low key, get them gone, recoup some funds and keep everyone focused on 8800. You know how many GTX will be left when 8800 comes out? Those are the GPU's that top end buyers get that wont be top end. If they kept the name GTX and same clocks and changed the price their would be a minor uprising of returns from people who just got their gtx at full price.

Dan0512 said:
Yup, 800=1600....no mods:beer:

Just curious what kind of cooling you all are running with these speeds. I just ordered all my parts to build my new AM2 rig. Picked up an eVGA 7900GTO as well. Looking to make it into a GTX. Are you all saying I can easily do this without upgrading cooling?

Just want to make sure before I fry a $250 card... :beer:

hehe :D at a moderate 690/1620 pass, on my first time loading 3dmark06 I scored 6709. That was with all my usual TSR's running in the background, a few open windows, and the 9.5 drivers which aren't the fastest... I couldn't believe that forest demo never dropped to under 20fps at 1280x1024 or whatever default is.

edit
ran it at 695/1700 still with same drivers and hit 6824. Switching back to 91.47 then I'll try again (futuremark says the 9.5's are not approved drivers)

Last edited:
Well I just edited the BIOS so it boots @ 650/800... all went smoothly. I'll add some links to the first post, where you can get the software for the job.

@ Proboner- You got some nice RAM there. Mine seems to crap out @ around 820. BTW, I noticed that my MSI card has a geometry clock delta of 50mhz, so the vertex shaders run 50mhz faster than the core clock I set. Probably explains some skipping during the forest test in 3dmark05.

So now it's running @ 771-716-716/810

dan

Yeah definately decent ram in my card. I re-ran 3dmark with the 91.47 drivers and scored 6850 running ALL tests but otherwise everything is set to defaults. Do you think I should put some AS5 on my card to see if my core temps can be taken higher? Even at 695, if I squint and look real close I can spot some very slight artifacts on the HDR test (flying ship and dragon). Seems that rivatuner was right about my core max being around 691 or so.

Back