• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vf900-cu vs. vf700-cu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

im looking for a cheaper cooling solution and found that vf700 is only $25...

is there a big difference?
is there another cooling solution thats better for the same price?

btw, im using this for Connect 3D x800 GTO

any opinions are much appreciated, thank you.

actually any cooler that doesnt pump the heat out of the case is going to yield about the same temps. imo and in my experience, unless there is great airflow in the case and i mean great. most of the temp rise in a card can be attributed to heat buildup in the case but if u can get a large fan on the side feeding it fresh air then a larger sink will help.

dze said:
actually any cooler that doesnt pump the heat out of the case is going to yield about the same temps. imo and in my experience, unless there is great airflow in the case and i mean great. most of the temp rise in a card can be attributed to heat buildup in the case but if u can get a large fan on the side feeding it fresh air then a larger sink will help.

ic, so ati silencer would actually be better of then... thanx for ur opinion :) anybody else?

I actually just upgraded from VF700s on my two 7800GTs. I'm about to post an experiance review of the VF900, doing a couple comparisons against my VF700s. So far, I've seen a 2-3°C drop in idle temps. Before it would hit 45°C with the door closed and it's now hitting 43°C. With the door open it hits 42°C

VF900 would be your best choice...avoid arctic silencers, almost anything is better than those. Also note that there are two different versions of the VF700. If you're looking at the aluminum version, I'd avoid it, but the all copper version will probably provide sufficient performance for an X800GTO and would be worthwhile if it's cheap enough.

ice, but dze has a good point, vf900/700 fan is just going to rotate around the case, its not blowing about the case, althought i do have 3x120mm fan :)

Just aim a fan out at the (open) pci slots.

Celeron_Phreak, how much better are your load temps? I notice I get minimal temp differences at idle with my x800XL on 5v or 12v, but at load there is 10+C difference.

My temps dropped quite a bit under the stock cooling temps with the VF700-cu. I'm pretty sure that the stock heatsink wasn't seated well enough from factory.

50°C stock (idle)
42°C VF700 (idle)

75°C stock (load)
62°C VF700 (load)

In fact, I just installed it 30 minutes ago. I'm much happier w/ this cooler. It has also dropped my chipset temps (a couple of °C) since the fan from the VF700 blows air in the area of the NB47J.

im gonna go for vf700-cu, where can i get it for the best price? :) and are the vga ramsinks enough? or i have to get extra? :)

installed my zalman vf700-cu today, and i dont know whats the highest stable core and highest stable mem anybody got? anybody? my idle temp is 34c and load temps is 51c-54c... i need help on how to o.c. my vid crd :|

Coolbits, Powerstrip or RivaTuner. I use Coolbits because it's not as bulky and integrates itself into the nVidida control panel. However RivaTuner seems to be the better choice for most.

ciku said:
im looking for a cheaper cooling solution and found that vf700 is only $25...

is there a big difference?
is there another cooling solution thats better for the same price?

btw, im using this for Connect 3D x800 GTO

any opinions are much appreciated, thank you.

I have a 700c 41c (no load) 52c under load ATI x800xl, ambient case temp is around 31/32c, card is overclocked 411/533, Its not a great oc but these xl are not that great of oc'er

check sig for max artifact free OC on this card, I have very good airflow in case.

cozmo_d said:
I have a 700c 41c (no load) 52c under load ATI x800xl, ambient case temp is around 31/32c, card is overclocked 411/533, Its not a great oc but these xl are not that great of oc'er

check sig for max artifact free OC on this card, I have very good airflow in case.

I put a vf900 on my 7800gtx and temps dropped from low 80's to mid 60's under full load. Idle temps were low 40's, now they are low 30's. I just ordered the vf700 for my x800gto, but i don't have any readouts, but I assume it should be fine. Zalman makes a great product, and the machine polished bottom is of quality.

thanks for the responce dudes, right now my stable oc is 531/513 at 34c idle and 54c load... i cant seem to go up higher on my mem, i start getting artifacts...

Shmick said:
Zalman makes a great product, and the machine polished bottom is of quality.

I was impressed by the finish also. I did take one picture of my video card naked, but then the rechargable battery died right after that, So I never got to take a picture of the heatsink or of the video card after heatsink was installed. I just didn't feel like waiting.

vf900 has a lower profile and cools better, yes it costs more but its worth it. also the vf900 has a much better mounting system

Back