• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enumerate Device Win32_BIOS Fail!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoJac

Hi

I get the following error message on startup and have been unable to find the cause:

"Enumerate Device Win32_BIOS Fail!!"

I have the following devices connected - Saitek Evo Joystick, Saitek gaming mouse, Logitech wireless KB and mouse. All devices drivers are installed.

My syst specs:
AMD 64 3200 on Asus A8N-SLI MB
Geforce 7600GT
2x 512MB DDR 400 ram

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Without knowing which OS you're running, I'll assume it's W2K SP3 or below... if this is the case, update to SP4.

Thanks for your replies. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 and no there is no error number associated with this. I'm not overclocked.

Have googled it and searched around but have found no specific info re this error.

No bluetooth - only wireless I have is Logitech S510 KB/mouse combo.

Thanks for your help all. Have unistalled Asus probe and there is no error message anymore. I presume the error is still there though?

Last edited:
In other words what was the problem that Asus probe was picking up to report this error?

It's quite possible you don't have an actual problem, other than the possibility of a software glitch / compatibility issue w/ AsusProbe.

After having my computer run smoothly for months with ASUS PcProbe installed, I also came across this problem. I noticed at the same time that Windows no longer recognized that I had a virus scanner (avast!) installed. I'm running Win XP x64.
I tried uninstalling PcProbe, which stopped the error messages, but didn't help my virus scanner problem. I tried uninstalling, then reinstalling avast!, but still nothing.
The error messages are from PcProbe, but I'm going to assume that PcProbe isn't causing the problem, just reporting it. There's a whole bunch of other error messages that follow the Win32_BIOS one, and all of them say "Enumerate Device Win32_* Fail!!"

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

After having my computer run smoothly for months with ASUS PcProbe installed, I also came across this problem. I noticed at the same time that Windows no longer recognized that I had a virus scanner (avast!) installed. I'm running Win XP x64.
I tried uninstalling PcProbe, which stopped the error messages, but didn't help my virus scanner problem. I tried uninstalling, then reinstalling avast!, but still nothing.
The error messages are from PcProbe, but I'm going to assume that PcProbe isn't causing the problem, just reporting it. There's a whole bunch of other error messages that follow the Win32_BIOS one, and all of them say "Enumerate Device Win32_* Fail!!"

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

My problem is same as yours. It has been more than a year that I have this Asus Probe installed on my Win 2003 Server, and everything gone well. since a week ago I got messages about the antivirus (Symantec), and today this "Enumerate device WIN32_BIOS Fail!!" showed up. I am not sure that it has something to do with the antivirus, just mentioned it because you've told about your avast.

I am curious to know the exact source of the problem, any clue?

My problem is same as yours. It has been more than a year that I have this Asus Probe installed on my Win 2003 Server, and everything gone well. since a week ago I got messages about the antivirus (Symantec), and today this "Enumerate device WIN32_BIOS Fail!!" showed up. I am not sure that it has something to do with the antivirus, just mentioned it because you've told about your avast.

I am curious to know the exact source of the problem, any clue?

You need to reinstall latest SP for your system (e.g. reinstall SP2 for XP) that fixes anti-virus detection issues, and than see if it will fix your PC-Probe issue, I think it will be OK after reinstalling latest SP.

ok i registered for the sake of everyone on here... i didnt know this was so common...
i am running on XP Pro x64... my installed virus protection suddenly became undetected by windows xp and pc probe found the 32bit errors
"Enumerate Device Win32_* Fail!!"
i would like to let you in on what happened in my case and what i think it is that caused my problems
1. i messed with dual booting from 2 hard drives with xp and vista
2. messed with a fan that had a poor connection. wiggling the wire made my computer BSOD (never thought to read the message cuz i figured windows just didnt like me screwin with the stupid fan while it was turned on and being monitored)
3. windows auto ran diskcheck which found and deleted 2 corrupt ~.pf files... umm ~update.pf i think and a second with update in the name...

i hope this either helps or informs you guys. i personaly hope that it is the end of the errors... as i dont use pc probe much and only find the "Enumerate Device Win32_* Fail!!" messages slightly annoying... i have turned off the windows alerting for virus protection (which is very easy to do if you didnt know this already) so really this post is just to inform... i have no real problem
thanks guys im glad to see im not the only one who had this happen
OHH... specs:
ASUS Crosshair mobo
AMD 6400+ @ 3.2 Ghz (stock speed - not OC'ed)
OCZ 800Mhz ram: 2 1Gb sticks
ATI 2900XT

No asus software is on startup (eg: AI Booster, ASUS Update, PC Probe...) and wouldnt have any factor in this

Programs running at time: PC Probe (asuming the problem was created with my crash)

***FIX***
HAHA who knew i would also find a fix...
The WMI service was messed up, and that service - go figure - controls BIOS access and the virus protection detection... the part that was a dead give away, was the error in System Information (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information)
If when you view your system information, you get this error
"cannot access windows management instrumentation software.It may be missing or corrupted" THEN TRY THIS :D

1. Use the Start menu to right-click My Computer.
2. Press the Manage item.
3. Double-click Services and Applications in the left-hand pane.
4. Press Services to expand it.
5. Scroll to Windows Management Instrumentation in the right-hand pane and
right-click it.
6. Press Stop.
7. Use Windows Explorer to delete all the files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
8. Shutdown and restart your computer. The Windows Management
Instrumentation service will start and the files will be re-created.

Back