• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3web in Linux is it possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parsons256

Registered
Ive been wanting to learn linux for a while, so i sent away for some free Ubutnu cd's and they just came today, ive been playing around with the live cd's and trying to get on the internet but with no luck.
I live in an area with no high speed access and i have 3web dial up.
In Windows it uses a little system tray application that you have to use to connect, and it's impossible to connect without it because it forces you to enter an authorisation key. They don't offer the software for linux eather. I figure it’s pretty pointless to try and install linux if I can’t connect to the net.
Im a complette noob when it comes to linux so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

I know you can use a Dial-up modem with Linux,, what im trying to figure out is if my ****ty ISP will work in linux without the application it uses to connect with in windows...
Although i had no clue there was so much to getting a dial-up modem to work on a linux rigg, thanks for the link

do you know what the # is your modem dials

you should be able to use ppp to enter your usr name and password

when i had dial-up my isp would not tell me how to connect thet said they did'nt support linux

After some different configuration attempts I was able to determine the the correct protocol and sequence of the connection.

this has been a while but it was an earlier version of ubuntu.

in kde desktop the tool is called kppp I'm not sure how it labeled in gnome

:bang head that's just the thing i have no clue where it's dialing, im guessing it's a local number ?? lol
It uses special software to connect, so it bypasses the default windows connection setup,, i have no clue how tho?

Ya i think that's what im gonna have to do just listen in on the phone when it's dialing... 3web is a horible ISP.. it's cheap dial up,, but half the time their servers are down or buisy, and its slow even for dial up.
But im poor and my parents are the ones paying so im stuck with it,,,
thanks for the help tho

PPP 3web on Linux without the Windows software

If you know your user account info :

1. Lets assume your phone number is 123-456-7890. For your username use: [email protected] and then for password use the password to was provided to you. Should work. I would try if you are using "dialup" or "cable" be your case.

2. Your password, which you can change on the unsecure myaccount.3web.com admin site(!), is at first your phone number. 123-456-7890.

3. The phone numbers are available from http://istop.com/dialup.html but you also check the modem log on your modem properties from the control panel.
You may need to add the command "E1" to view the hidden characters if the log 's dial number is displayed as ###-###-####

Works fine with Puppy linux!

Back