• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duallie rendering nodes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tecton3d said:
Hey all ~ is there a pc3200 ram out there that has been successfully and stabily run at 200fsb without the vdimm mod on the pc-dl? All things considered, it makes sense to not go modifying stuff unless absolutely necessary and if I can get away withouth having to cut into a 175$ board I'd rest a little easier. I would definitely pay more for ram that could do this so that's not a factor at this point

Thanks! !

The link I provided above tells of some chips. I am running Kingston Value Ram at 180Mhz fine. I can boot the memory at 200MHz running a 4/5 ratio but my chips (C1's) need more the u-wire mod and I haven't got a chance to do that yet. I would say any chips rated to run at 2.5Volts will be ok.

You DON'T want ram rated higher than 2.5 volts IF you're using a PC-DL motherboard AND you are not modding it.

Usually better overclocking ram requires more volts (what else is new) but the VDimm mod on the PC-DL motherboard is not too bad (but I'm not sure if you're willing to do that or if you want to trust it if this is high priority work).

I did volt mod my board but typically you're looking at fsb speeds at or under 200, so maybe someone here will know of good ram for this speed and low voltage.

EDIT: you can always try searching in the memory section of the forums for that memory to see how it performs on lower voltages.

TCCD is good, but on the expensive side. Not sure if the tighter timings and low voltage needs would be enough to jump for TCCD when there is value ram that can do well at low voltages, but just not have tight timings. Kingston used to have a good one, don't think that's out anymore, but I'd look at Corsair Valueselect, or Patriot Signature Series. Try to find some about them.

Just try to find ram that's rated for and will run at 2.5v. I'd look into the memory section to find out about certain memory. Just do some research on the net, such at newegg, to see what some available options are, and so you go into it with a general idea of what's there.

DaveB said:
If you can find four PC-DLs and eight 1.6LV D1 Xeons that is the way to go. Figure the cost as:

Used/Refurb Asus PC-DL - $150
2 x 1.6LV D1 604 Xeons - $125
2 x Intel Retail HS/Fans - $25
2 x 512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 - $75
Regular ATX Case - $35
AMS Mercury 460W EPS12V PS - $65
80GB HD - $50
CDRW - $25
Any PCI video card - $15

That's what he has for his one in his sig, and it's rated at 2.5v on newegg.

godofgorks said:

Watch out.. Make sure that the value select you get IS rated for 2.5. The ram I had my first time around (from another project) WAS ValueSelect.. But it wasn't rated for 2.5.. So definatly be meticulous about checking out the details.. Maybe even sending an email or two to Crucial / Corsair / OCZ / Etc to see what products they suggest for PC3200 @ less than 2.5 volts.

Kingstone Value Ram is rate 2.5V. I've had 4 different 512 sticks and all rated at 2.5V.

Shelnutt2 said:
Kingstone Value Ram is rate 2.5V. I've had 4 different 512 sticks and all rated at 2.5V.

I mentioned this, but tried to find some quick online and didn't have luck. This might be hard to find now.

perfectturmoil said:
Watch out.. Make sure that the value select you get IS rated for 2.5. The ram I had my first time around (from another project) WAS ValueSelect.. But it wasn't rated for 2.5.. So definatly be meticulous about checking out the details.. Maybe even sending an email or two to Crucial / Corsair / OCZ / Etc to see what products they suggest for PC3200 @ less than 2.5 volts.

Yes, when in doubt, contact the manufacturer. Great advice I overlooked.

godofgorks said:
I mentioned this, but tried to find some quick online and didn't have luck. This might be hard to find now.

They can be found on Ebay or at CurcuitCity. Which is were I bought mine. They go onsale at CC for $30 or under after rebates from time to time. I paided $70 for mine and after rebates they were $23

Shelnutt2 said:
They can be found on Ebay or at CurcuitCity. Which is were I bought mine. They go onsale at CC for $30 or under after rebates from time to time. I paided $70 for mine and after rebates they were $23

And I'm the idiot that paid $244 for my PQI TCCD. :bang head

Well at least they're being put to good use now in my A64 rig. Uber sweetness at DDR652. :cool: LOL

godofgorks said:
I ran four sticks in the PC-DL for six months or so but pulled two of them recently for my experimental HTPC rig. Actually two them are sold at CAS 3 sticks while the other two are supposedly CAS 2.5 . But the PC-DL detects the SPD at CAS 2.5 for all of them and they run perfectly together.

DaveB said:
I ran four sticks in the PC-DL for six months or so but pulled two of them recently for my experimental HTPC rig. Actually two them are sold at CAS 3 sticks while the other two are supposedly CAS 2.5 . But the PC-DL detects the SPD at CAS 2.5 for all of them and they run perfectly together.

I saw both the CAS 2.5 and CAS 3 at newegg. The CAS 3 is $86 while the CAS 2.5 is $80 but out of stock. But maybe yours will run like DaveB's if you get those CAS 3 and it'll default fun 2.5 anyways. Prices were for 1gb sets (512x2). Seem to be a good deal.

if you are looking for a pair of 1.6 d1's, i do have a pair as i haven't used them in a long while since i got my 3.2's. they are the sl6xk's. pm me if you are interested because they are just sitting around. they have been working well as paperweights in their holding container for a while... i should have probably put them in the classifieds a long time ago... what can i say, i got busy :)

*edit: if this too much of an advertisement/selling outside of the classifieds, please let me know. i'll be more than happy to remove the post if that is so, i just figured that i would let it be known that a pair exists here...*

tecton3d said:
for a total diff of under 30$ (for all 4nodes) I'll go with the cas3's

Sorry last post was kinda confusing, but what I said was the CAS 2.5 is cheaper then the CAS3, just not in stock at the moment.

DaveB said:
If you can find four PC-DLs and eight 1.6LV D1 Xeons that is the way to go. Figure the cost as:

Used/Refurb Asus PC-DL - $150
2 x 1.6LV D1 604 Xeons - $125
2 x Intel Retail HS/Fans - $25
2 x 512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 - $75
Regular ATX Case - $35
AMS Mercury 460W EPS12V PS - $65
80GB HD - $50
CDRW - $25
Any PCI video card - $15

Alright ~ would putting an AGP card on the PC-DL limit overclockability... thus the "any PCI video card"? I'd like to have one of the nodes be a "backup workstation" in case my primary machine would go down. Just trying to understand things a little more clearly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey all,

I've been digging a little and found that the Asus websites' support forum for the pc-dl deluxe recommends: "For PC-DL Deluxe motherboard, please use PC2700/PC2100 unbuffered ECC or non-ECC DDR DIMMs."

So does pc3200 work but only better?

Also - what's the difference between the PC-DL and the PCH-DL?

Dammit I'm confused again :bang head

Asus doesn't acknowledge the "MooseMod" jumper trick that sets the PC-DL for 200 MHz FSB operation. They consider it a 133 MHz board for Intel 400 and 533 Xeons. But since the PC-DL is based on the 875P chipset, which is designed around a 200 MHz FSB it works like a charm at that speed. So, if the FSB is 200 MHz, you want PC3200. But if you're running at 133 MHz, you can just use PC2100 or PC2700.

The PCH-DL is also based on the 875P chipset and overclocks the same as the PC-DL. The difference is that it has the longer 64-bit PCI slots that come in handy for SCSI cards.

Regarding you question about the AGP, yes there is a lock. I was simply listing the cheapest alternative.

Back