• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Installing XP X64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoneforever

Registered
Ok I am having trouble installing the OS. I put in the boot cd and all that, it starts loading up and gets the part where you press F6 if you want to install 3rd party raid drivers. I press F6 but it does nothing, the install continues and shortly after that it stops with a "File \AMD64\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded The error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit." Now I though it was unable to load it since it couldn't write to the drives I have set up in raid, but I have 2 others that are not in raid it could have picked up if it couldn't read the raid ones. So i'm not sure whats going on here. My motherboard is a Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-Dr, i have the raid set up through the nvidia raid chip. Any ideas?

I looked up that error in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and the only reference I could find talks about the old DEC alpha (article ID: KB175932).

Are you trying to install when overclocked? If so go back to stock settings until you get x64 installed.

Are you using a USB keyboard? Might try a PS/2 instead. Also, I used to have a Microsoft keyboard and the F6 wouldn't work unless I hit F Lock first. That wouldn't explain the error message but it might explain why F6 isn't working.

I am installing on a computer I just put together, everything is stock settings right now. I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and even tried another one just to make sure it wasn't just a defective F6 button. Neither of the keyboards have a F Lock, and it lets me push F2 right afterword for the windows recovery disks so the F keys as a whole are on.

I have been unable to install the 64bit OS on a RAID array with the same board as you.
No probs if you break the array and just install as normal though.
I tried every driver I could find and even relocated the array to the SI3114 controller with no joy.

I finally gave up and concluded that Windows x64 just wouldn't support RAID yet.

RAID is not a problem for x64. I'm using Nvidia RAID on my NF3 and have installed on an NF4 Ultra board with no issues. You need 64-bit RAID drivers on your F6 disk, 32 bit drivers won't work. There is a disk image over at planetamd64.com for the Nvidia RAID or you can make one using the 6.25 64-bit driver package.

Going back to the specific error: have you run Memtest or Prime under Windows XP to see if your stable at stock settings? I've never had a DFI board but I understand they are picky.

Another question is ACPI enabled in the BIOS? When the install says "press F6 for SCSI/RAID" try pressing F7 to bypass ACPI detection. Don't bother with the RAID array just see if you can get to the point that it detects your other hard drives.

Is this an regular A64 or an X2?

I'm pretty sure I have the 64 bit RAID drivers, but I can't even get to them since pressing F6 dosn't do anything. I can't run memtest or prime since I don't have a windows install on there yet. I have tried pressing F7 durring that part but it didn't seem to do anything. When I disable ACPI in the bios the windows install says it needs it to continue. I have a X2 4400.

You don't need Windows installed to run Memtest. You can run it from a floppy, USB flash drive, or bootable CD. The images are here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

That error 4 can come with a bad stick of memory, bad memory controller on the CPU (not unheard of with the X2), or memory timings that the board doesn't like.

Have you tried with a Windows XP (32bit) install CD to see if your getting the same error?

Last edited:
I found a forum post over at TechConnect Mag dealing with this same error (error 4). In that's guys case the problem was with the install CD. Did you burn the install CD from an image (like the RTM image MS gave to the beta testers as a thank you) or are you using an OEM CD?

My install CD is from the trial download on the MS site. I already have an OEM CD on the way so I'm going to see if that fixes it when it comes. I'm going to try the Memtest and see if that finds anything. I hope its not any of the hardware since its all new.

I wish you luck.

If Memtest shows an error pull one of the memory stick and try the install using only single channel. The memory may not be bad but the BIOS you have on the board may not like the memory or the auto timings from the SPD. So if the same issue exists in single channel try setting the memory up with loose timings manually. Try lowering to 2T command rate, then drop to the 166 divider, then monkey around with the CAS/RAS/etc. You may wind up flashing the BIOS to a newer official or using a modded BIOS.

Let us know how things go.

:eek:

On the upside at least you know it's probably not your CD.

Start with taking it down to 1 stick of memory and roll through the suggestions in the post above. If you have any other memory available try it too. What brand/flavor of memory are you using?

The DFI board is supposed to be very particular about memory. You may wind up doing a bit of tinkering with the settings or changing the BIOS to get the board to cooperate with the OCZ. I'd check the DFI motherboard section of the forums for suggestions. You'll probably need a DFI guru type to help with this and I'm more into MSI/Asus.

BIOS version has a big effect on any NF3/NF4 board and whether memory will cooperate. I know on my MSI NF3 for example with certain BIOSs my Kingston memory defaults to CL2/400 MHz. It should default to CL3 but some BIOSs ignore that. I have maybe 5 seconds in the BIOS before the keyboard quits responding to get it dropped to CL3. If I don't enter the BIOS the screen turns black and I must pull the battery and reset CMOS with the jumper before I get another stab at it. With other BIOSs the board behaves itself. Each NF3/NF4 board has it's own quirks but DFI boards in particular seem to have more than their fair share.

Here's a few other links in case you want to search these forums also:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59207 (tweaks, tips for DFI NF4 boards)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57952 (BIOS's, official and modded)
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php (DFI's Forums)

Good luck my friend.

I tested each stick and found that I couldnt boot at all with one of them so i guess that one is bad. With the other I can now get farther in the windows installation but now i cant get it to read my raid driver off the floppy. It wont take either the supplied one that came with the mobo or the 64bit one I download from the internet. It just keeps saying insert disk and press enter when ready. I put the disk in, it attemps to read it for 1 sec and then comes back to the previous screen. Any ideas?

It may not be finding everything it needs.

Here's a list of files you need on the floppy. Make sure you floppy has everything. If your image is missing some of this you can make an image by copying everything from the Nvidia 32 bit RAID floppy and then copy the contents of the extracted ide directory (excluding the subfolders) from the nForce 6.25 64bit driver package.

Files: disk1, idecoi.dll, nvata.cat, nvatabus.inf, nvatabus.sys, nvcoi.dll, nvide.nvu, nvraid.cat, nvraid.inf, nvraid.sys, nvraidco.dll, txtsetup.oem, and nvuide.exe

You have to load both drivers that you see when/if you get to that point. The ATA Bus thing and the RAID. The 6.25 drivers aren't WHQL'd so when you get to the graphical part of setup you'll get warning after warning from Windows about the drivers. Windows will install though and you can then update to the 6.66 official or the 8.12 beta that's floating around.

If you are missing something on the disk or think you have a "bad set" of x64 drivers then PM me and I'll give you a download link from my FTP for the disk image.

I tried doing what you said by copying over the files from the 6.25 driver package, but I couldnt find the nvata.cat & nvraid.cat in the package. Tried it anyway but didn't do anything. Do you know where I could download an already complete image of the disk?

Finnaly got windows installed on my raid array. Things seem to be doing fine except that I can't boot into windows unless the install cd is in the drive, otherwise it says there is a confict and windows cant load.

This is a little late but the reason you couldn't find the *.cat files is because they aren't in the 6.25 driver package. You have to use the ones from your 32 bit F6 disk. The cats (catalogs) tell Windows what files, etc. The filenames between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions are the same so the 32 bit *.cat files work. I wish Nvidia would just post an image of the 64 bit F6 disk like Intel does.

Now back to your current problem. Are you on your OEM copy or the trial?

I'm using the OEM copy now. I'm also having a hard time installing windows on the correct RAID array. I choose the 2 raptors but when the install finished it ends up having installed it on the two maxtors.

Back