• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my ram cooling concept.advice in presenting it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
few updates on this for people interested.
im rather serious about pushing this design forward.coltice has a pipe in the mail for me and ill be copper hunting this weekend.gotta have a toof pulled tomorow so that will delay me a bit.

on another end i heard back from the companys head engineer ive been talking with.being there may be a possible nda with emails i wont post the contents verbatim,but basically the guy was interested in it and wants to show it to the rest of the r&d dept.
they have looked into more aggressive cooling but nothing this extreme yet.

tbh i figured some would laff and some people would just have negative comments and i would get discouraged about it and just drop the idea.but that hasnt happened and thus i hope to see a prototype rather soon.either by me or the company im talking to.

ty to everyones encouraging words and help with materials.

I'm glad its working out.
I got an newsletter email from Rojak's Pot a few minutes ago and its head line was "Mushkin present new concept in memory cooling" or something like that and I was like "Hell they stole his idea!", my heart was really pounding while I was searching for pictures.
In the end turned out they just added a little curve to the heat spreaders, nothing worth a while. Anyhow, waiting for more updates.

Great looking job with the design, I was wondering just yesterday how to cool RAM, not that I need to, but generally. You can't ever go wrong trying to do something like what you're doing here. If it works out, you feel great and have made an improvement to the industry. If it doesn't, well you created something original, and it's the engineers version of Legos.

Yeah, he's right, go for it!
But talk to some lawyer as you can easily lose this design for the very company you're in contact with.
Be carefull out there....

deathstar13 said:
Otter, there is no heatpipe in the h20 design.its 2 copper tubes the diameter of the heatpipe being used to run h20 threw.they cool the spreaders directly.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. That makes a lot more sense.

Say, if your initial results are promising enough, you could probably improve the design by allowing the working fluid to evaporate right over the chips. All you'd need to do is braze together two fairly heavy plates with passages machined or stamped into one or both surfaces. Maybe these could even go all the way up to your where you've got the fins so you wouldn't need tubing. Of course, there would need to be a valve of some sort to evacuate the spaces and add the fluid, but it might actually be cheaper to mass produce that way than using tubes.

Thin sheet metal would probably crush, but I don't think you'd have to make the plates very thick to get the low pressures you need for a heatpipe. Even a hard vacuum would be less than 15psi. You might have a problem with the vapor interfering with the return of condensed liquid if the channels are too narrow, but I bet there's still room between DIMMs.

still awaiting coltices heatpipe in the mail.
usps is dropping the ball on this one.

the company im talking to cant steal my design when i offered to let them use it.kinda like raping the willing.
if its used im sure id be compensated or thanked somehow.i dont want much just dont want it used by someone who didnt consult me or ask about the internals how i see how they should be made. granted isnt much but those things i havent commented on here.so basically they will be guessing and probley just screw it up.

I think it looks like a pretty good idea, without decent airflow, UTT get pretty hot, I have a 80mm in the side panel blowing on mine and its hardly enough. It's more than warm to the touch.
This idea would help alot more with people like me who don't have large amounts of airflow over the memory. It wouldn't help much for people with high cfm fans or people without airflow.
You might need a way to get some airflow over the fins, possibly a blower than could blow through all the coolers in a row? It would be quiet and effective.
Good luck.

updates :)

i recieved my heatpipe from coltice,TY!
its perfect in shape for the project.
as for the sheet of copper that was kinda difficult to get exactly what i wanted.lowes dont carry coper sheets but did have alliminum sheets.
i did find some large 6"x6" copper post topper.it has a dome fitted for a square post so will require some cutting and shaping.
i bought some alluminum sheet for the fins.
so hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have a working prototype.

no update from the memory company yet i contacted and offered them to use the design,but i did email them as i have further advancements.

the PATENT & TRADEMARK INSTITUTE OF AMERICA contacted me today and informed me they want to proceed further into trying to patent this idea! :) woowooo!
now anyone familier with the process its expensive.in the tune of $2000 to be exact.
i told them thier isnt no way i have that kind of cash nor am i willing to try and raise it.hell i already got a company interested in it.
the contact from PTI then said they want to proceed on this and if things look posative enough they have investors to take care of the expense.

so far this has been a fun and entertaining project.i hope it doesnt turn into a paper headache.

anyhow once the prototype is done i will do some initial testing.if it looks posative enough i will obtain bh5/VX or send it to a friend for further testing.

btw all pics were taken down to stop any unseen issues further down the road with the patent company.

wish me luck! :)

deathstar13 said:
the PATENT & TRADEMARK INSTITUTE OF AMERICA contacted me today and informed me they want to proceed further into trying to patent this idea! :) woowooo!

I'd be very cautious with this outfit. It looks like some group trying to use an official sounding name to get you to use their services. They probably don't care if your invention is viable or not, or patentable or not. You can see there are numerous complaints filed against them with the US Patent Office.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/complaints.htm

rbwilton said:
I'd be very cautious with this outfit. It looks like some group trying to use an official sounding name to get you to use their services. They probably don't care if your invention is viable or not, or patentable or not. You can see there are numerous complaints filed against them with the US Patent Office.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/complaints.htm
i appreciate the concern and i read those complaints also.
but as i stated im not giving them one red cent! im broke and i dont care if i stay that way.
either they do it or not.
i wouldnt call 11 complaints a bad record.

deathstar13 said:
i appreciate the concern and i read those complaints also.
but as i stated im not giving them one red cent! im broke and i dont care if i stay that way.
either they do it or not.
i wouldnt call 11 complaints a bad record.

It seems to me these companies try to get you on the hook by having you make an investment for a patent search. Then the amounts escalate, and once you've already paid good money it's hard to say no, or else whatever you've paid to date is out the window.
I knew someone who was somewhat "challenged" who paid $850 for a patent search on a grip cushion that attached to a briefcase. I had to explain to the guy that if the briefcase company thought the handle needed better cushioning they would build it that way. That didn't stop them from taking his $850.
This in no way is any comment on my view of what your building. I think it's a great idea.

Last edited:
rbwilton said:
It seems to me these companies try to get you on the hook by having you make an investment for a patent search. Then the amounts escalate, and once you've already paid good money it's hard to say no, or else whatever you've paid to date is out the window.
I knew someone who was somewhat "challenged" who paid $850 for a patent search on a grip cushion that attached to a briefcase. I had to explain to the guy that if the briefcase company thought the handle needed better cushioning they would build it that way. That didn't stop them from taking his $850.
This in no way is any comment on my view of what your building. I think it's a great idea.
the patent process is a never ending circle or expenses.
my dad went threw it 15 years ago but went threw the normal process and back then spent almost $2000 also.
his was found not able to proceed as similier patents were on file.

the patent process is actually an after thought for me.my goal was get it to a company we all use so we could benifit from it and fast.i dont care about making money.no that doesnt mean ill just give my idea away but something would be nice.

i repeat i will not put any of my or anyone i knows personal money into this.
sure if i did i see no reason why i couldnt make money but that isnt important.im a hobbiest like almost everyone here,not looking to make money but to build,learn and have fun. paperwork is by no means fun!

CJ4 im gonna send a pm about borrowing that bh5.
i also think i will be contacting a well known member here to due testing on it also.that ram junky is no holds barred so i feel he will put it threw its paces.

deathstar13 said:
CJ4 im gonna send a pm about borrowing that bh5.
i also think i will be contacting a well known member here to due testing on it also.that ram junky is no holds barred so i feel he will put it threw its paces.

Perfect timing- my wife just went out of town, so I can mess with my computer with no fear of retribution! I'll go ahead and pull it tonight or tomorrow.

CJ

CJ4 said:
Perfect timing- my wife just went out of town, so I can mess with my computer with no fear of retribution! I'll go ahead and pull it tonight or tomorrow.

CJ
do those have spreaders on them? i dont want to void any warrentys.
i have the cooler 1/2 completed or close to it anyhow.
and boy does it look homemade :) but for now i just want to see if it performs upto my expectations or not.
i will say commercial machining and measuring will make it perform even better than my proto-type just due to tolerances being better.
except for the heatpipe itself its all 100% hand pounded metal and dremel cut metal.
but just half completed wich means 90% perfectly fitting spreaders and connnected heatpipe it looks rather damn impressive.

btw guys for a few following this i have a well known person from the forums who will be testing this himself.
for 1 i think he has even more experiance in testing memory than i do.which im no slouch if i say so myself :)
and also i wanted an outside persons opinions and also the facts in testing so mine cant be disputed.

deathstar13 said:
do those have spreaders on them? i dont want to void any warrentys.

They do have heatspreaders on them, but no worries. Since I've overclocked them, they are not really under warranty anyway. If you'd prefer, I could take the heatspreaders off before sending them out.

CJ

Good idea. Sometimes modules get damaged when you take off the spreaders, and if I were Deathstar, I'd be a bit paranoid about disecting someone else's RAM.

LOL, I'm handing my RAM over for testing and stressing to someone named "Deathstar" - I think that the heatspreaders are the least of my worries! (jk)

I took the heatspreaders off this weekend and they are running fine.

CJ

About the patents-

If you're not interested in the money, I suggest you get yourself a lawyer and try to sell your idea to Zalman or Thermalright or Thermaltake. If you're not interested in the money, why get a patent? Patent laws are very, very difficult for small outfits like yours. It'll take between 18 and 24 months before your patent application will be accepted if it's not rejected right off the bat, and between now and then, ANYONE can produce/sell it. PLUS- even if you get a patent approved, the only way you can prevent a large company to stop producing your product is by taking them to court- a very difficult task if you're as broke as you say you are. Let's not forget the amount of money a utility patent costs... if you're looking to break even I wouldn't go with the company you're with.

Oh- and you have 11-1/2 months to file your patent before the public disclosure grace period is up. After that, the idea becomes unpatentable.

I strongly suggest you try to sell your idea to someone who can uphold your patent.

If you decide to sell your idea to a company. Don't sell it to thermaltake. :)

I am really looking forward to see the actual performance of this ram cooler... if it does get out and produced professionally then im buying one for sure... :)

Back